Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Acelon

Need to get a new computer

So I'm done with my Alienware laptop. It's caused me wayyy more hassle that what it's worth.

It broke for like the 20th time and I need to get a new laptop or desktop.

I need something relatively cheap.. like 800 or less. It needs to be reliable and works well in terms of graphics and can handle several programs running at once (Firefox, iTunes, AIM, EL).

Any suggestions?

I have a Sager NP5760 laptop that I've had for 5 years.

It was a lot more than $800 but the only thing I have had to had "fixed" was a new hinge in a 5 year period.

The customer service was awesome and the product has been superior.

At least check them out and see if they have anything in your price range.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/

Hmmm, i don't have a clue about hardware prices in the US, over here computer parts have gone up quite a bit lately though. I paid almost 800€ for my new box. Love it though. ^^ I never owned a laptop either, so i can only be of help for desktops.

You should be fine with a dualcore processor, or if you can get one, a triplecore. Amd seems to be a bit cheaper there than intel.

If you can, don't buy a boxed cpu, since you might want to get a custom cooler atop of it anyway.

For graphicscards ati seems to be cheaper than nvidia, i still stick to nvidia though, since i had some issues with ati drivers in the past.

I also took a motherboard from gigabyte's ultra durable series. It wasn't exactly cheap, but on the whole board i didn't find any of the usual film capacitors.

Since you're looking for reliability, this might not be the worst advice.

Well, that's all that comes to my mind right at the moment, let me know if i took the wrong direction and you want more specific suggestions.

I need something relatively cheap.. like 800 or less. It needs to be reliable and works well in terms of graphics and can handle several programs running at once (Firefox, iTunes, AIM, EL).

Don't skimp on RAM. Anything less than 4GB is no good. (ofc anything more is useless for a 32bit OS (that's not Linux with a PAE kernel)).

Kingston or Corsair RAM (you don't need their expensive 'designed for overclockers' models unless you're actually going to overclock).

AMD CPU

Asus mobo (preferably with nVidia chipset)

nVidia video cards are still my preference but AMD/ATi's Windows drivers are fine now and they do offer better bang-for-buck atm.

Seagate hard drive.

Samsung LCD.

Thermaltake and Antec make good power supplies, so one of their cases w/ PSU is good... but just a Coolermaster case+PSU would be fine if there's budget concerns.

Pioneer optical drive(s)... or Samsung make a well priced Blu-ray playing/DVD-writing combo drive.

Don't buy some brandname production line product, get a good computer store to build you a system to these specs.

If you want a notebook, go Asus.

One of the ASUS K72 series that has ATi Radeon 5470 GPU would probably be a good option, they should be close to US$800:

AMD CPU: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=DWdqw2a0nHfEv0De

or

Intel CPU: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=De0eZOdbxyCmowiY

They have 17.3" LED backlit LCD's. All the usual stuff wireless, webcam, etc.

Specs say the AMD one has an option of Blu-ray combo drive, but you can prolly find the Intel one optioned with it too if that's what you want.

The Intel CPU variant may be easier to source, but generally i suggest AMD CPU ;p

Note those notebooks are NOT awesome on battery hours, but if you want a powerful notebook for cheap you'll pretty much always sacrifice battery hours.

I've been providing Asus notebooks to clients a lot, they're very reliable in my experience. My father's business has been using one for 2 years now on-site at race tracks out in the wind, being moved around a lot, dirty hands typing on it, etc... never skipped a beat.

$724 on special ;o

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0-753-_-Product

Perfect.

Edited by Korrode

Actually, anything a bit over 3GB is useless for Windows 32, because the upper memory part is used for other crap.

Anyway, there are a lot of laptops under 800 bucks that are pretty nice, just go on newegg.com and chose form there. Make sure to buy something with Nvidia for the best results (although ATI/AMD is ok too).

Actually, anything a bit over 3GB is useless for Windows 32, because the upper memory part is used for other crap.

Ya i know. :omg:

I usually still just suggest 4GB for 'future proofing' for 64bit OS anyways.

And if we want to get technical, it's not Win32. Windows 2003 Server's 32bit kernel has better memory management and usage of PAE, and will utilise almost all of 4GB.

When I get a new computer to replace my 7 year old desktop, I'll buy it from here. http://www.pcsforeveryone.com/

Since you're trying to save money, I recommend an AMD processor. I'd get an Nvidia video card because I've always had trouble with installing ATI's drivers, both on Windows and Linux.

If you want to build your own desktop, this article at Tom's Hardware Guide is up to date and has everything you want to know. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-...nents,2725.html

Don't get an HP or a Compaq.

Don't skimp on RAM. Anything less than 4GB is no good. (ofc anything more is useless for a 32bit OS (that's not Linux with a PAE kernel)).

Kingston or Corsair RAM (you don't need their expensive 'designed for overclockers' models unless you're actually going to overclock).

AMD CPU

Asus mobo (preferably with nVidia chipset)

nVidia video cards are still my preference but AMD/ATi's Windows drivers are fine now and they do offer better bang-for-buck atm.

Seagate hard drive.

Samsung LCD.

Thermaltake and Antec make good power supplies, so one of their cases w/ PSU is good... but just a Coolermaster case+PSU would be fine if there's budget concerns.

Pioneer optical drive(s)... or Samsung make a well priced Blu-ray playing/DVD-writing combo drive.

Don't buy some brandname production line product, get a good computer store to build you a system to these specs.

If you want a notebook, go Asus.

One of the ASUS K72 series that has ATi Radeon 5470 GPU would probably be a good option, they should be close to US$800:

AMD CPU: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=DWdqw2a0nHfEv0De

or

Intel CPU: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=De0eZOdbxyCmowiY

They have 17.3" LED backlit LCD's. All the usual stuff wireless, webcam, etc.

Specs say the AMD one has an option of Blu-ray combo drive, but you can prolly find the Intel one optioned with it too if that's what you want.

The Intel CPU variant may be easier to source, but generally i suggest AMD CPU ;p

Note those notebooks are NOT awesome on battery hours, but if you want a powerful notebook for cheap you'll pretty much always sacrifice battery hours.

I've been providing Asus notebooks to clients a lot, they're very reliable in my experience. My father's business has been using one for 2 years now on-site at race tracks out in the wind, being moved around a lot, dirty hands typing on it, etc... never skipped a beat.

$724 on special ;o

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0-753-_-Product

Perfect.

highly recommended :happy:

i have a home-built system myself, and pretty close to what korrode has recommended, and so far am able to run most high-level applications and games with minimal slowdowns.

Korrode speaks the truth.

In addition to Asus laptops, I'd also recommend the Acer ones. That is what I have right now and it's been very nice so far. I know a few other people happy with theirs as well. I also have a Lenovo IdeaPad and that's nice too.

I definitely agree about NOT getting an HP or Compaq (owned by HP also). HP is the WORST company I've had to deal with - it took 4 hours of phone calls with them once just to buy an extra drive holder for one of their systems.

I'll also recommend newegg as the place to buy from - I buy the vast majority of my computer hardware from them - they have very competitive pricing - not always the absolute lowest, but never way too high. Their website gives every spec you could possibly want about what you are looking at, the the customer reviews on products are often very helpful too. Newegg doesn't pull any censorship crap on the reviews as far as I know, as I have seen plenty of bad ones for things that have dissuaded me from buying them- just keep in mind some of the 'this thing doesn't work' reviews are from morons that don't know what they're doing.

I'm currently under lease for a Dell laptop right now. Due to something going horribly wrong with it, the lease company sent it off to be fixed and have given me this loaner laptop which is a Compaq.

I highly highly recommend not taking under Compaq :happy:. It's miserable. This laptop runs slow as piss and can barely connect to any wireless connection there is. I'm constantly having problems with it.

Now HP, to some might seem horrible but I had a HP laptop for 4 years and it ran amazing. I don't see why they get so much hate :)

Now HP, to some might seem horrible but I had a HP laptop for 4 years and it ran amazing. I don't see why they get so much hate :rolleyes:

I know a woman who owned one of the mid 90's Hyundai Excel's (Accent's) that were notoriously unreliable. People who have the opportunity to see many examples of them (mechanics, panel beaters, etc.). agree they were not well made.

However, she says it was a great car and she never had a problem with it.