Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Android client

If you post it on the app market, let me know the title and I will install it and test it.

Ok, i'll compile end export it for 2.1 version.

Question is, what should the client do, when the application is paused/resumed ? (That happens for example when it loses focus)

Should it disconnect from server or not ? (currently it's connected all the time)

I guess maybe stay connected, but I believe that the thing should come with a warning label about bandwidth. You know how it is. Some moron out there wants to have a lawyer to correct for his own stupidity so everything must come with a warning label. I really wish the justice systems in all the countries would just go ahead and say "you are a dumbass" and toss people out of their courts.

So, any other opinions?

Something we always planned for QELServ was to have it so when a person connected using a recognised chat client their char would be placed in some safe area (only existing for the purpose of holding a character logged in via chat client).

Just thought i'd suggest it.

Or ofc their char could not 'manifest physically' at all.

Edited by Korrode

Something we always planned for QELServ was to have it so when a person connected using a recognised chat client their char would be placed in some safe area (only existing for the purpose of holding a character logged in via chat client).

Just thought i'd suggest it.

Or ofc their char could not 'manifest physically' at all.

Could be abusable.

Anyway, it would be nice for this client to eventually evolve into some sort of semi playable client, and allow stuff like trades, viewing the inventory, storage, viewing the people around you, maybe harvesting, etc.

When we get to doing a full client, we will need to decide if we will do things separately like we do currently or get opengl, sdl, etc from a combined source like libgdx which is supposed to work on desktop and android (perhaps other javas, but no clue there).

Libgdx is supposed to be a game development library written in java with some JNI (java native instructions?) code for power hungry sections. Ok...that is about a quote from the page. Read more here if you are interested. http://code.google.com/p/libgdx/

When we get to doing a full client, we will need to decide if we will do things separately like we do currently or get opengl, sdl, etc from a combined source like libgdx which is supposed to work on desktop and android (perhaps other javas, but no clue there).

Libgdx is supposed to be a game development library written in java with some JNI (java native instructions?) code for power hungry sections. Ok...that is about a quote from the page. Read more here if you are interested. http://code.google.com/p/libgdx/

Thx for the link. I've made a simple opengl implementation of console, but am very busy IRL ... Will check it later...

Let me know when your ready to test on a phone I also have android on my phone. If ever we get to mix on phones mine will never leave me side xD

I tried to open a project for the Android client at BerliOS, the request was denied:

Due to resource limitations we cannot support more games or game frameworks.

The BerliOS Crew

Next up: Sourceforge.net.

If anyone knows another solid location for hosting open source projects, you're welcome to post them here.

If anyone knows another solid location for hosting open source projects, you're welcome to post them here.

I think we could go with Google Code: http://code.google.com/hosting/, they should be more than happy to host an Android game (and won't have space problems I guess :P).

A side (but actually important) note is the license. Which open source license would fit best?

Possible licenses with google code are:

Apache License 2.0

Artistic License/GPL

Eclipse Public License 1.0

GNU General Public License v2

GNU General Public License v3

GNU Lesser General Public License

MIT License

Mozilla Public License 1.1

New BSD License

Other Open Source (choosing this displays the note below)

All projects hosted on code.google.com must be open source. Licenses must be one of the ones listed above, or another OSI-approved license.

We strongly encourage you to use one of the licenses listed in the drop-down menu to avoid license proliferation. License proliferation makes life harder for your potential contributors, users, and everyone in the open source community.

I actually don't care about the license but I'll leave the choice to Ent.

Any updates on this project? I am curious about having EL on my android :P

I don't know about the others that considered doing a project for it, but as for me, I didn't make any attempts for a while. I might after I upgrade my laptop's Linux distrobution again. Hard to tell.

One trick with this is that I think you will need to set up a "server" of sorts for the android app. The "server" processes have a totally different runtime priority and operating restrictions.

Don't hold your breath, this would not be a porting, but a pretty total rewrite of the client. Also, most probably it would not be a fully-functional client, but a rather crude approximation of the desktop experience.

It would be very difficult to fit a real EL client on a phone, due to memory/screen/CPU/graphics limitations.

I bought a Galaxy Tab to experiment on a tablet, but absolutely don't expect it to happen overnight.

A side (but actually important) note is the license. Which open source license would fit best?

Possible licenses with google code are:

Apache License 2.0

Artistic License/GPL

Eclipse Public License 1.0

GNU General Public License v2

GNU General Public License v3

GNU Lesser General Public License

MIT License

Mozilla Public License 1.1

New BSD License

Other Open Source (choosing this displays the note below)

All projects hosted on code.google.com must be open source. Licenses must be one of the ones listed above, or another OSI-approved license.

We strongly encourage you to use one of the licenses listed in the drop-down menu to avoid license proliferation. License proliferation makes life harder for your potential contributors, users, and everyone in the open source community.

I actually don't care about the license but I'll leave the choice to Ent.

Umm.. simple solution: dont host the clients source at code.google.com.

I dont know if i even would host a MMORPG at adroid market.

4.5 Non-Compete. You may not use the Market to distribute or make available any Product whose primary purpose is to facilitate the distribution of Products outside of the Market.

(Thinking about the item shop of EL)

When i have some more time, i'm going to continue to research how to write programs for android with gcc and SDL, at least it seems to be possible.

http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/android/index.html

Piper

Don't hold your breath, this would not be a porting, but a pretty total rewrite of the client. Also, most probably it would not be a fully-functional client, but a rather crude approximation of the desktop experience.

After having played around a while longer with groomsh's version, I totally agree with Usl. The game experience will definitely be limited and it won't be a fully-functional client for sure.

Other than that I found it hard to develop without in-depth knowledge of the EL communication protocol. Can anyone provide a link to the EL comm protocol documentation? I would very much appreciate this and it would speed up the development process (if we want to go on with the idea of an Android client for EL).

Another challenge I came across are maps: As far as I know the official client does not feature maps of all areas. So I used BloodSucker's maps as a substitute. Because you would not want to log into the game in an area without a map - that's no fun, trust me.

That was my rant, now something more productive: My private current version features groomsh's chat screen of the previous version (labeled "Console" in the screenshot) and a 2D-map screen. You click anywhere on the map around the green dot and your character will move there (no pathfinding yet + it's still buggy and incomplete as hell). You click and drag and the map will move.

24od8iu.png

So... where to go from here? :confused:

Cool. I will have to check and see if I can get this to work on my phone....if I get around to it. lol

From what I understand, the new versions of Android can run C code.

Of course, the game needs to be ported first, and the hardest thing to do would be rewriting all the OpenGL stuff to support OpenGL ES 2.

Hi all,

i've downloaded the Android SDK and put together a "proof of concept" android EL "chat" client ...

Lot of things are hard coded and overall it's done to just work (not look nice etc :)) ... There are most probably bugs too, but i guess it's something to start with.

You can see a video of this running in emulator (yeah i don't have an android phone) [ >> here << ]

The eclipse project containing the sources can be downloaded from [ >> here << ]

In some parts of the code i was inspired (or used) by jelc project, so some credit goes also to people behind jelc...

I am still learning about android application lifecycles and stuff, so please take this only as a "first try" :whistle:

It looks sweet man, i just noticed it doesnt show outgoing PMs.

Does anyone have an apk module made? I still can't get eclipse working and I can't seem to compile via the command line either.

Does anyone have an apk module made? I still can't get eclipse working and I can't seem to compile via the command line either.

Nope sorry, i am now playing with rendering in OpenGL ES so i don't have it runnable atm...

I dont know if i even would host a MMORPG at adroid market.

4.5 Non-Compete. You may not use the Market to distribute or make available any Product whose primary purpose is to facilitate the distribution of Products outside of the Market.

(Thinking about the item shop of EL)

Check the definitions:

Products: Software, content and digital materials created for Devices in accordance with the Android SDK and distributed via the Market.

By that definition, the EL shop does not distribute "Products" and neither does EL in general. Basically you can't use the market to distribute another android app market.