Eternal Lands Official Forums
Maxine

Making starting out a little easier (still)

Based on the 'first impression' video from this thread I have a few suggestions that might help such new players getting started. One thing this video clearly showed is that NEW PLAYERS DONT READ.

-1- On the player creation page already have the windows for customization open. Maybe show a hint or two in a pop up about how to use the interface and customize your character.

-2- When clicking on the tutorial, in the menu that comes up, change the 2nd option to tutorial quests instead of just 'tutorial', players seem to expect a boatload of text help instead of nice tutorial quests to help them start. Same with the text when you select the first option, 'tutorial quests' instead of 'tutorials'.

-3- Never heard of a big fat question mark to indicated a quest, but when starting give the tutorial NPC a server side marker with the text 'starting quest' or some other pointer. I see innumerable players run off after being created, without a clue what they are missing.

-4- Let the tutorial NPC repeat his last instructions when you return to him without completing the last task.

-5- The mini-map feature is hard to find. A button at the bottom of the screen, like we have for manufacturing window etcetera, would help.

-6- The text with the hints is easy to be ignored, a pop-up instead of a hint in chatlog would be harder to ignore. This could be an independent set of short sequenced hints that need to be clicked away, such as:

Hint 1: Talk to the tutorial NPC for starting quests with experience and items as rewards. [pops up as you click away the welcome, server side marker appears]

Hint 2: You can move around by clicking on the ground or on the map (TAB). [pops up after 5 seconds of no action, no window open]

Hint 3: To chat with people around you just type the text then press Enter. [only pops up if players has not done this within 20 seconds]

Hint 4: Need help, type @Can someone help me with .... [trigger?]

Hint 5: To open the minimap use .... [pops up after player starts to move]

Hint 6: Players have white names, NPC blue names, critters yellow names and bots purple. [after player moves further away from tut NPC near IP storage]

Hint 7: To pick up a bag, click on it. Bones and meat have value, bunnies carry cash :P [pops up after first kill]

Hint 8: The tutorial NPC will heal you for free while you are a newbie. [pops up as health gets below 5]

Hint 9: Type #beam me to get back to Isla Prima (IP, starting island). IP is always safe. [triggered by moving off IP]

I would not do any more hints, except maybe repeat hint 1 if they didnt follow this advice. Most of these hints are now given in one initial pop-up, which people eager to play will click away. The first pop-up could be limited to just 'welcome to EL', maybe even signed by radu :P

-7- Make a tutorial video of our own on how to start the game with:

-- Customizing your player

-- Talking to the tutorial NPC

-- moving around

-- fighting

-- harvesting veggies

-- talking in ch 1 and local

-- going to WS (and getting killed by the gargs or beaming back to IP)

-- what skills the game has (for newbies)

-- mention that the game has sound and music as a seperate download

This tutorial could be linked on the download pages.

Just a few thoughts. I think the video showed how superficial most people will try out the game. They all seem to think the interface should be the same as their fav game, of which we are of course a cheap copy :)

Mixi

Edit 08-sep:

Suggestion for an improvement to the map- and harvesting-tutorial:

- Teach players how to make their own marker and suggest they #mark the flowers they find in the harvesting quest. This could be a small adition to the text in the pop-up ("... and dont forget to #mark this").

Edit 10-sep:

Suggestion for an addition for the next exploration part of the tutorial:

- Go and trade with a trade-bot: Bots have purple names and can be found standing around. They also show up on the mini-map with a purple (unmoving) dot. Find a bot and use the trade icon on it, read its information and then immediately come back to me.

Edited by Maxine

Hint 6: Players have white names, NPC blue names, critters yellow names and bots purple. [after player moves further away from tut NPC near IP storage]

I think this is important to tell newbies.

I have never seen player owned tradebots in other games and it took me a lot of time to find out what they were for and how to use them.

As they don't open a chat window like other MPCs. should a hint be given to use the trade icon on them. if you want to use them, and they will tell you how to trade them.

Agree with maxine's propposals.

But in EL people like to make alts, so also we would need the option to deactivate the hints :P (maybe kinda hidden in the options windows so newbies dont discover it in the first look hehe)

And in hint #6 you forgot the red names, since invasions are pretty frenquent on these days. (no need to explain the green names)

Edited by dipi

it in the first look hehe)

And in hint #6 you forgot the red names, since invasions are pretty frenquent on these days. (no need to explain the green names)

yop,would be gr8,maybe add buddies / allies /enemies colors etc after they move to guild,would not be bad =p

We've had several contests in the past to create tutorial videos. There were some nice ones. I have no idea why those were never used.

Can you have NPCs spam the youtube URLs? :)

I like the hint ideas. Maybe you can have it where you can type "#hint" for the last hint you received.

Not as many people sit in IP like when I was a newb... too bad. Perhaps I shall go there one of these days and make some new newbie friends. :D

Edited by Lexi

I agree with this new players shouldnt be expected to have read a novel about the game before playing, that is insane.

I agree with this new players shouldnt be expected to have read a novel about the game before playing, that is insane.

:)

Most any game you buy/play has a manual for it to read or in game reference material. If they actually took the time to read something they wouldn't be so left out in the dark.

- Make a tutorial video of our own on how to start the game with:

-- moving around

-- fighting

-- harvesting veggies

Just a few thoughts. I think the video showed how superficial most people will try out the game. They all seem to think the interface should be the same as their fav game, of which we are of course a cheap copy :)

Mixi

This is a really nice idea. Maybe even have the video right on the main page instead of the download page. It would give people a leg up and also bring more attention to the tutorial and other parts of the game that can help new players after they get started.

:)

Most any game you buy/play has a manual for it to read or in game reference material. If they actually took the time to read something they wouldn't be so left out in the dark.

Indeed.

And how many people here regularly read the manual of a new game they buy? Doubt i've ever read more than a few; I want to play the game not read how to play it. (especially with a game like this that has a small download and install size, meaning you won't be waiting around for it to install... which is when I normally flick through manuals.)

Why do you think what is now the standard of a (sometimes skippable) tutorial section came about? Because the developers didn't have anything better to do or because they realised people wanted to get into the game immediately rather than having to read through a load of text first...?

And how many people here regularly read the manual of a new game they buy?

If it's an RPG, I definitely read the manual and actually prefer when the production of the game includes a decent manual and not just some skimpy half dozen pages explaining the UI. Some RPGs even go to some length realizing ppl give a shit about the manual and use a nice binding so it will lay flat on a desktop.

Hm, badly worded post on my part.

Maybe, logically, assume I meant the people that this entire thread is about; the majority of people who play mmo's and may someday try EL, rather than the people on this forum who already play the game and are therefore people who we already know will sit down and read a manual.

Not really sure why I have to explain this but I will anyway. The point I was making was that most people, upon downloading a new mmorpg, will not be inclined to read an onscreen manual but would rather just play the game and have it explained to them as they go.

Really though; your post was informative if not really pertaining to the topic in hand. Thanks for it! :)

And how many people here regularly read the manual of a new game they buy?

If it's an RPG, I definitely read the manual

So do I, but 'Lorlen's' point should still be listened to; many people don't read manuals.

edit: despite the fact it's an hour between the posts, the above post wasn't there when I replied ;p cause i left thread open for ages :>

but yeah

Edited by Korrode

@Lorlen: Yeah we're off topic huh? :)

Anyway, I like the ideas. If there is one negative thing I would say about the tutorial it's that it is a lot to read, but even if a player isn't willing to read manuals, tutorial npc dialog or any help text for that matter, they will likely ask the same questions on the help channel(s.) On channel 1, there are often 3 or 4 or even more players who will then all reply with the same or similar answers with each often expounding on some various element of the answer. There is still remedial reading comprehension required no matter how you try to avoid it, a big difference being you don't get easy exp for learning on @1 where to buy sigils to cast the heal spell (as an example.)

We've had several contests in the past to create tutorial videos. There were some nice ones. I have no idea why those were never used.

They didnt last for 13 minutes and 13 seconds, presumably?

On a serious note...

I would love to see an intro video/tutorial appear between char creation and actual gameplay occuring, if that were possible, just to show basic icon usages, and where to find the encyclopedia. That way the "I dont read" crowd can just watch a TV show on how to play. And where to look for if/when they DO want to find something out.

imho tutorial video would not help, because if the player gets a nice first impression of the game, he will surely try to find out more.

What would help imho always

1. Dont make endless stories at tutorial npcs , just a "hello ... do that" so the new player will not be bored reading ( yes it happens)

2. Log on screen how to make a new char: the windows (make char and the name/password) should be open, also the player should get info, how to move around.

3. Give 2 weeks free p2p race as a quest reward or a horsie (all ppl love fr33 st00f)

4. Wrath : players should unlock nexus (and perks) after a certain OA, no need for a newbie logging on thinking its a game with classes and after playing for a while decides to put 5 animal nexus to become summoner and then learn the bitter truth

5. No spamZ0r channel, just channel one, players should be able to open new channel at higher level, at the beginning channel one so he can ask and get a decent reply is nore than enough.

6. Explain colors of the bots, players etc

7. Remove old quests npcs from IP (like manu quest and - no need to be there- Novac ) that send u to different places, after the player makes the really stupid and basic quests (how to move around- how to harvest- how to kill) should move to another npc at WS docks that will give him more advanced quests.

I have played many on line games, from my expirience i never watched a trailer about how to make a char, what i prefer is to make simple tasks at the beginning, learn few things and start reading as i level

my 2 cents

Edited by Xanthus

1. Dont make endless stories at tutorial npcs , just a "hello ... do that" so the new player will not be bored reading ( yes it happens)

I enjoy the stories ;) Just going to A, then to B, then to C without any storyline doesn't do it for me. New players can just scan through to the important bits.

Based on the 'first impression' video from this thread I have a few suggestions that might help such new players getting started. One thing this video clearly showed is that NEW PLAYERS DONT READ.

-1- On the player creation page already have the windows for customization open. Maybe show a hint or two in a pop up about how to use the interface and customize your character.

-2- When clicking on the tutorial, in the menu that comes up, change the 2nd option to tutorial quests instead of just 'tutorial', players seem to expect a boatload of text help instead of nice tutorial quests to help them start. Same with the text when you select the first option, 'tutorial quests' instead of 'tutorials'.

-3- Never heard of a big fat question mark to indicated a quest, but when starting give the tutorial NPC a server side marker with the text 'starting quest' or some other pointer. I see innumerable players run off after being created, without a clue what they are missing.

-4- Let the tutorial NPC repeat his last instructions when you return to him without completing the last task.

-5- The mini-map feature is hard to find. A button at the bottom of the screen, like we have for manufacturing window etcetera, would help.

-6- The text with the hints is easy to be ignored, a pop-up instead of a hint in chatlog would be harder to ignore. This could be an independent set of short sequenced hints that need to be clicked away, such as:

Hint 1: Talk to the tutorial NPC for starting quests with experience and items as rewards. [pops up as you click away the welcome, server side marker appears]

Hint 2: You can move around by clicking on the ground or on the map (TAB). [pops up after 5 seconds of no action, no window open]

Hint 3: To chat with people around you just type the text then press Enter. [only pops up if players has not done this within 20 seconds]

Hint 4: Need help, type @Can someone help me with .... [trigger?]

Hint 5: To open the minimap use .... [pops up after player starts to move]

Hint 7: To pick up a bag, click on it. Bones and meat have value, bunnies carry cash ;) [pops up after first kill]

Hint 8: The tutorial NPC will heal you for free while you are a newbie. [pops up as health gets below 5]

Hint 9: Type #beam me to get back to Isla Prima (IP, starting island). IP is always safe. [triggered by moving off IP]

I would not do any more hints, except maybe repeat hint 1 if they didnt follow this advice. Most of these hints are now given in one initial pop-up, which people eager to play will click away. The first pop-up could be limited to just 'welcome to EL', maybe even signed by radu ;)

-7- Make a tutorial video of our own on how to start the game with:

-- moving around

-- fighting

-- harvesting veggies

Just a few thoughts. I think the video showed how superficial most people will try out the game. They all seem to think the interface should be the same as their fav game, of which we are of course a cheap copy :P

Mixi

i like these ideas :)

they still leave room to explore the rest by yourself, btw im such kind of player who reads a manual....hmmm.. about 10 seconds, then i want to play :bow_arrow:

keep on the good work :)

btw, don't tell new players too much, its fun sometimes to find out :

why does radu have a green name ?

what are the letters behind players names ?

what can i do next after i left save isle prime ?

if you left some secrets of how to play, ppl will start to ask others or join a guild, just to find out :)

Edited by wuffzel

I would like to make some suggestions to the Tutorial NPC;

First i think that the important explanation about how to do something in EL is too hidden!

I tried it myself and you have to nativate trough a jungle:

Tutorial NPC>Tutorials>Who are you?>Help>(here is the list with advice)

it's too hidden. make it easier to navigate.

What I also find important, is the map. The Tutorial NPC doesnt talk about the map.

When you open it that the X is your position. That you can move by clicking somewhere on the map. That you can make #mark Name to find a place easier in the future. How to open the radar. About the colors of the dots (names) on the radar (white, yellow, green, red, pink, and most importantly Blue).

Also i would like to see simple instructions on how to mix the first FE. They could go to storage, take 20 roses, snaps and sulfur, find some bread on IP and mix it. They will understand how to mix something then. This is also interesting for a beginner because they will know what to look for .. sulfur roses and snaps.. if they want to make more. It takes i would say 2 or 3 days before a newbie can make their first FE.. imagine.. they need to find someone who sells leather gloves.. they need to find the harvest recources.. Now by that time someone can already loose interest. So IMO they should find a batch of 20 ingredients of FE in their storage.

Also what confuses many beginners is that they dont know where their items went when they traded at storage. What happens is that it automaticly slips in the storage. And they think that someone cheated on them. So the Tutorial should also explain this.

Also (good exampe: player : remo , or maybe not) some newbies play for a while and level skills like a/d + harvesting but have no clue what to do with their pickpoints. Then they have OA 10 and all attributes @ 4 . So the Tutorial NPC should also say that The Wraith is a very important figure in the game and they must talk to him.

Also i would like to see simple instructions on how to mix the first FE. They could go to storage, take 20 roses, snaps and sulfur, find some bread on IP and mix it. They will understand how to mix something then. This is also interesting for a beginner because they will know what to look for .. sulfur roses and snaps.. if they want to make more. It takes i would say 2 or 3 days before a newbie can make their first FE.. imagine.. they need to find someone who sells leather gloves.. they need to find the harvest recources.. Now by that time someone can already loose interest. So IMO they should find a batch of 20 ingredients of FE in their storage.

Hmm so the golden question mark already in the UI isn't good enough? (That information already exists, see ? -> skills)

If it doesn't work now, why would more of them work any better?

Also i would like to see simple instructions on how to mix the first FE.

I wrote a quest to do just that as part of a newb quest, but the reaction was sufficiently negative I retracted it.

I was hoping to do it as a player-bot hosted quest, but that project has stalled and may never happen.

So I'll just save it for the future and see if anything develops.

Edited by bkc56

Aislinn, they dont want to read a whole manual. Simple and short instructions are needed for quick results. New players want to DO something. ACtion !

Edited by SolarStar

Aislinn, they dont want to read a whole manual. Simple and short instructions are needed for quick results. New players want to DO something. ACtion !

Umm they have to read it SOMEWHERE. Last I looked, EL doesn't have personal phone support.