Eternal Lands Official Forums
Kalix

Eternal-Lands first look

Seriously, you can't rate games like this by just having a look at it and thats it.

And that's why i don't like that video.

Having no clue what's going on and making a video like that is not O.K., IMO.

I don't think we're giving enough light to the name of the thread. "first look." Sure, there are many inaccurate statements he made, and he was unfair regarding certain game aspects, but I think the video does do an excellent job of portraying a new player's first impressions.

Would you like to give that guy a Porsche 911 to test without having any clue what a car is and let him wreck this Porsche and let him post a video how bad that *MACHINE* is, which he is not able to control?

No, but I'd let him post a video saying how the Porsche is unlike other cars he's driven, and he had a hard time acclimating to it.

I don't think we're giving enough light to the name of the thread. "first look." Sure, there are many inaccurate statements he made, and he was unfair regarding certain game aspects, but I think the video does do an excellent job of portraying a new player's first impressions.

Only if the new player is an illiterate fuck like himself.

You don't think he raised a good point about not being able to find the radar? You're understandably upset about his 2nd grade reading level, but he has some legitimate concerns.

You don't think he raised a good point about not being able to find the radar? You're understandably upset about his 2nd grade reading level, but he has some legitimate concerns.

Not really. He couldn't even find a quest after clicking on it.

And nobody has answered this question, let alone satisfactorily: How do you propose to make everything that EL offers visible on the screen with no reading required?

Even more simply, how do you propose to fit every UI gadget so that it is visible on the screen with no effort or reading required?

Some of his concerns are legitimate, yes. I don't think anyone denied that. However, I don't think the floating minimap is an indispensable tool, and many players have it turned off by default.

I think this graph correlates pretty well with EL's popularity. First impressions have a lot to do with it. EL is a game that requires more patience than the average MMO players have...

http://www.google.com/trends?q=Eternal+Lands

The thing is, back in the day there weren't as many English free MMOs out there. In the last 2-3 years, a lot of Asian MMOs went international, and they spent a shitload of money in advertising. Some BIG commercial MMOs failed too, some of them changing from p2p to f2p.

Since the number of MMO players didn't increase dramatically in the last 3 years, it is normal for some underfunded games to lose a bit of traffic and players to the better funded games.

I know I'm a bit late, but I have a little input on this...

I still haven't seen the video... Can't have audio on at the moment... But just from the responses I will say-

If I've learned anything from my computer apps and web design classes (Probably the ONLY thing I've learned from them) is that to keep the attention of the majority of your viewers, you need shorter information displayed in smaller segments. For power point presentations and (For some stupid reason) websites, we call it the 4x6 rule... 4 points of information with around six words- not many more words than that.

In games, single points of information with few words is a common practice; EL is one of the few I've seen to not follow this. In the beginning of many games I've played, as you're learning the HUD and controls, eye-catching pop-up boxes come up with a small bit of information on some topic. (Small bit being one short sentence) Then the game either forces you do use the information at least once, or puts you in a situation in which you need it. This forces even illiterate players to learn how to play.

I know with EL, you've been avoiding forced tutorials, but in my opinion, at least making them learn the basic controls and HUD features will help in the long-run. Maybe have it so that when they start a new character, for the first few levels, there is a button with a question mark glowing/pulsing in the corner of the screen somewhere, and when clicked it runs them through the controls and interface in small message boxes that pop up one->two at a time (even showing the different menus).

The key point is to avoid paragraph-long explanations and tedious tasks to access the information. Even two sentences may be pushing it. You might think its demeaning to have to simplify everything, but I think it takes a smart person to understand something, yet it takes a genius to explain it to an idiot.

EL is an awesome game. People who hate it are impatient, illiterate, graphic-conscious, uninterested in rpgs, or just idiots who want something to bash so their popularity grows (To be king/queen of morons) but it would be great to have a few of these people stay...

Edited by Airakose

EL is an awesome game. People who hate it are impatient, illiterate, graphic-conscious, uninterested in rpgs, or just idiots who want something to bash so their popularity grows (To be king/queen of morons) but it would be great to have a few of these people stay...
No. It wouldn't.

I'm left with a feeling of constant criticism even though he thinks he is concealing it with cute explanations of "grandma's house", "grassroots", "retro charm", "your daddy's MMO".

Obviously he prefers modern, big, loud, and splashy and to him, that makes or breaks a game.

And the kicker: Not a single mention of Linux. Not even in the system requirements section.

Ok, that wasn't a bad review. Not very in depth, but then again, there are many MMOs that need to be reviewed, and can't spend weeks in each one without a huge team.

A lot better than his "first look" but i would say 20+ main maps (considering Irilion is no secret now, a variety of quests send you there and they contain many useful resources/spawns). And why does he hate the look of the world map so much? It looks like an explorers hand-drawn map to me, i like it and it fits the game imo. Oh well. Good rating from player votes ^^

It seems the main thing that this guy thought was ugly about the looks of the EL game was the HUD (heads up display aka the bar at the bottom and the left).

The 2nd greatest issue he seemed to have with the appearance of the game was the "simple graphics" to which I would think.....upgrade the ground tiles first. We have greatly improved the sky, the water and a number of items, but I think the ground tiles are still a bit old.

After the "mud smeared balsa wood" interface (as he called it) and the ground tiles are upgraded, I don't think he should have much to complain about.

I think this graph correlates pretty well with EL's popularity. First impressions have a lot to do with it. EL is a game that requires more patience than the average MMO players have...

http://www.google.com/trends?q=Eternal+Lands

Anyone notice that the info below the graph which describes the languages and regions does not even mention the USA and that it is mainly polish places and the polish language?

Maybe we need to have an article about EL published in a polish magazine and see if the rankings go up. Heh, maybe we should help the ^@^ (my loose understanding of them is "the polish piggies"....named after a local type of pig/boar/warthog) recruit too. lol

it's only 1 thing I agree with him it's hard to hit the animals

but I think he wasn't interested in game as you must read to find anything and he just slipped trough just to make a video for his viewers and reading from NPC doesn't go in there as it takes more than 1 min silence witch cannot be in video

I think that's why he didn't even want to speak to radu

I agree he should do more researching of game before even starting recording video