Eternal Lands Official Forums
Kalix

Eternal-Lands first look

Some of the best Movies I have ever seen had shitty reviews. And I am going to guess that video game reviews are sort of in line with that.

He should get his facts correct before claming this is a review.

Minimum Requirements:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 700 Mhz

RAM: 128 MB

HDD: 200 MB Free

Graphics Card: 32 MB

Recommended Specifications:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz

RAM: 512 MB or more

HDD: 900 MB Free

Graphics Card: 64 MB

Noob cant even figure out this is multi platform game,

Windows is a minimum and Linux is much better. :pickaxe:

I just got done looking over the page he made for EL, but I had to load up the site on my phone to watch the youtube.

He doesn't just compare it to RuneScape, but Ultima Online.

Some of his video (although he doesn't know it) proves that there have been good efforts put into the idea of improving the game for newbs in the last year.

He mentions a problem that I have had with the game too. It is often hard to click on something to attack it. I have always found this true with rabbits and snakes.

He seems to love the counters.

A reference to Maple Story Online.

Comments on spells.

A reference to Everquest 2.

He likes the idea that you can build the character up however you like.

He talks to the tutorial npc and the boat npc.

He likes the in-depth skill system, but does not like the game interface.

I don't think that first look video seems too bad, but on the mmohut page, it says "Eternal Lands Featured Video". Perhaps to make up for the quality of this, he has one of the official EL videos under his Videos section.

If you notice, he gives EL a 3.89 rating (I assume out of 5) where the highest rated game is 4.09 and the lowest is 1.95. MMORPG / MMO Game List

It sounds like he would have been more harsh if this game did have a big professional developer staff, but it doesn't, so that does not matter.

His video does not seem too bad to me. He doesn't know much about it, but so what. He was just seeing it for the first time.

Edited by nathanstenzel

He mentions a problem that I have had with the game too. It is often hard to click on something to attack it. I have always found this true with rabbits and snakes.

yes, this was and sometimes is my most frustrating moments in EL, i get the fight cursor, click on the rabbit and i walk or the rabbit runs same time and i get 'too far away message :pickaxe:

i remember, i needed tons of patience to get the first newbe fighting quest done, special under the trees fighting is hell.

now i use my bow and ranging look :pickaxe:

but yes, at start you think 'whats wrong here'

The clicking problem is something that still annoys me after several years. Killing 30 rabbits for daily is very frustrating, to such a point I would quit after 5 bunnies. If there was a vote for the next element to improve, then my vote would be clicking on animals to fight them.

If you notice, he gives EL a 3.89 rating (I assume out of 5) where the highest rated game is 4.09 and the lowest is 1.95. MMORPG / MMO Game List

Those are user given ratings. He only rates games with excellent, great, good, fair, poor.

Those are user given ratings. He only rates games with excellent, great, good, fair, poor.

Everyone vote. :pickaxe:

Everyone vote. :pickaxe:

yea pls do

i remember finding EL because it was near the top of the top 100 list at mpogd.com

5 stars from me

Edited by Winkz

Greetings, I have also watched the video of ‘the first impressionist’ a few times and have visited and explored his website to give my vision. ( bravo, Piper for your beautiful post here )

A few of my thoughts:

The question mark above an NPC’s head, is a I am glad to read from other players also, for me an eeek and a downer to this game:

When Radu / Entropy created EL, and I am still so very happy that I was there from almost beginning, is that he and Roja have, and I quote freely a version of another players description here, for its so appropriate, an enormous (and very good looking) maze for us all where we players, as lab-rats are sniffing our way to our own “Big Cheese”.

EL is so much more then just grinding, bashing (or boning) a creature of whatever strength that comes our ways, its about exploring, finding secrets and shortcuts, having luck, having bad luck, having friends and having fiends, its about having fun.

It’s about discovering, it’s about surprise. I am so glad that for example new NPC’s are never mentioned where they are. This game I think was never intentioned to spread out a route to its pearls with breadcrumbs, you will have to find each and all of them yourself, and that is so much the fun of this game. There is an option via other sources to spoil the surprises, even I intend to give helping hands when needed, but at least it is not blatantly in your face in game, with markers and routes and shiny exclamation marks. Thank you so much for that.

Furthermore what makes EL stands out for me above other similar games, and I have tried/played quite a few, is the unique sense of humor that is within this game. Some very obvious, some not, sometimes quite twisted, but for me it’s a quality which I miss in most others.

EL’s interface does look dated; it has been awhile since created, but if I would guess that besides as others also mentioned perhaps a new button for the radar/mini map no other changes would be needed.

If you would really like to buff it, I would suggest improving then (if possible, I have no idea) the letter type/font used, and the game will do a tremendous time / quality warp. Optional are the background color and fancy bordering.

newhud000.png

newhud001.png

Just an example, to explain what I am trying to say, text used in pictures is pure gibberish and nothing more then quickly put together bits and pieces.

For the rest, my opinion of the reviewer and its website, many have already said similar things of my own thoughts. My first thought was that if he would re-present the average new player in games, hmm, is shallow then really the new thing? Regarding the reviews itself, I have my doubts, considering the huge amount of pixels, space and links used for ‘sponsored’ games advertisers, that his ‘reviews’ could possibly be biased also because of this. After reading quite a few of his opinions of games which I have also tested / played, I can only say that his experiences did not always match my own expectations and experiences.

For the rest I just keep enjoying this game, it’s number one in my ranking, and yes, I voted.

Nardo

Ok, I had a brief e-mail exchange with the guy that wrote the quick review, and I safely concluded that he is one of the biggest arrogant morons I've ever met.

Here is my e-mail to him:

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Radu P <radu.prv@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

I am Radu Privantu, from Eternal Lands.

I watched your first impressions video and overview, and I think that most of the comments you made are accurate, but I have a few grievances.

1. The camera can be panned with the middle mouse button.

2. The Tutorial NPC, as the name suggest, will give quests, you just have to click on the "Tutorials" option. I don't like exclamation marks above the NPCs that give quests, it discourages people from talking to the non quest giving NPCs, and that's a shame. There is over one megabyte of text in over 200 NPCs, all telling the story of places, the history of the game, current events and so on.

3. I am not sure how you assign scores for Playerbase, and how you quantify the low/medium/high/very high scores, but we have an average of 280 players playing at once (over 400 in the afternoon, 160 or so at night), and a total of over 1K active players that play every week. Of course, compared to really big games such as WoW this is insignificant, but compared to other indie MMOs I think it would be about medium. You can check for yourself, in real time here: http://game.eternal-lands.com/online_players.htm

4. I don't understand how our game graphics is rated as "Low" when other games with similar or worse graphics, such as Perfect World, Florensia and Ragnarok Online are rated as High. Based on the screenshots, Florensia and Ragnarok Online look clearly inferior to Eternal Lands.

5. The interface takes some time getting used to, but the idea behind it is that is has to be minimalistic, get the job done in as few clicks as possible, and not get in the way. Personally (and this opinion is shared by others) too much clutter is not a good thing, especially on devices with small screens such as netbooks.

6. There is a 'radar', alt+m. It is disabled by default so it won't get in th way (see #5). You can also walk on the Tab map by just clicking to your destination.

Anyway, thanks for adding our game to your list, and if you want to do a few review, feel free to contact me if you need any assistance.

Radu

And his reply:

Based on your third statement alone, I can safely conclude you are delusional. I can't converse with someone who thinks Eternal Lands has better graphics than Perfect World.

I didn't even bother to reply to that garbage, because he clearly doesn't posses reading skill, as shown in this reply or his video.

Based on your third statement alone, I can safely conclude you are delusional. I can't converse with someone who thinks Eternal Lands has better graphics than Perfect World.

*Fourth* statement

The second I saw (or more pointedly, heard) the video I knew straight away he was one of those people who believes they're about 10 times smarter than they actually are. I often liaise with ICT service providers on behalf of my clients and thus regularly deal with Mr. "I'm from a tech company so that makes me teh epic smartness god", so now I can pick them a mile off... there's speech patterns and voice tones that are consistent with them all.

I so detest them... and I so love ripping them down a few pegs. :brooding:

*Fourth* statement

Haha thanks fot this one..made my day, which seems so shitty till now :brooding:

The second I saw (or more pointedly, heard) the video I knew straight away he was one of those people who believes they're about 10 times smarter than they actually are. I often liaise with ICT service providers on behalf of my clients and thus regularly deal with Mr. "I'm from a tech company so that makes me teh epic smartness god", so now I can pick them a mile off... there's speech patterns and voice tones that are consistent with them all.

To be straight, you just described yourself and others in charge of EL. Main problem of EL is EGO. You are in charge of something and you think you are freaking god and world revolves around you. As i wrote before, none of you cant take any bad critic about EL. Behavior of mods on this forum is like they are special/chosen by god, but they are only ppl like everyone else. Has any of mods, devs in those years of EL taken any notes when others complain about this and that, and tried to made list and see what could be problem/problems? Guess not, cause when someone wrote something should be changed or whatever, you label him as whiner, bitcher or idiot. Ppl who write any suggestions or complain about something are only trying to make game better, it's true there are some stupid ideas, but at least they try.

P.S. If you cant relate to ppl on forum in decent manners , find some PR who can.

Edited by Torr

To be straight, you just described yourself and others in charge of EL. Main problem of EL is EGO. You are in charge of something and you think you are freaking god and world revolves around you. As i wrote before, none of you cant take any bad critic about EL. Behavior of mods on this forum is like they are special/chosen by god, but they are only ppl like everyone else. Has any of mods, devs in those years of EL taken any notes when others complain about this and that, and tried to made list and see what could be problem/problems? Guess not, cause when someone wrote something should be changed or whatever, you label him as whiner, bitcher or idiot. Ppl who write any suggestions or complain about something are only trying to make game better, it's true there are some stupid ideas, but at least they try.

P.S. If you cant relate to ppl on forum in decent manners , find some PR who can.

*wonders who made Korrode a mod in charge of PR...*

That wasn't only to Korrode, it was to all mods/devs.

Mods/devs in EL are chosen by god - in this particular case, teh g0d.

Reading your post above, I think it is more than fair to identify certain people as "whiner, bitcher or idiot". Thank you for becoming a shining example.

Suggestions are read, discussed, and considered. As noted on the suggestion forums, there may be too many suggestions coming in to reply to each one, but they are all reviewed. While I do commend the strength of your feelings about EL, it is abundantly clear that you have little clue what actually goes on, enjoy running your mouth, and are severely misguided. @@3 wtb PR rep(?)

Edited by asgnny

Reading your post above, I think it is more than fair to identify certain people as "whiner, bitcher or idiot". Thank you for becoming a shining example.

No wonder that EL can't get new players. Good for EL that mmohut guy didn't take a look on this forum...

Suggestions are read, discussed, and considered. As noted on the suggestion forums, there may be too many suggestions coming in to reply to each one, but they are all reviewed. While I do commend the strength of your feelings about EL, it is abundantly clear that you have little clue what actually goes on, enjoy running your mouth, and are severely misguided. @@3 wtb PR rep(?)

Well, wouldn't say that I have feelings for EL, but it's shame that game with so much potential is going to ruin.

From your eyes I'm clueless and misguided, but didn't quite a lot players quit playing and there are very few new?

Hello everyone, i just want to say that is not necessary to criticize admin/mods/players behaviour on this post. EL is a MMORPG, so Mr Radu Privantus rol ingame is to be the god and admins and mods have their own role ingame even if we like it or not.

I think we should use this post to give our thoughts about how to improve EL in terms of programming, looks, etc, so that way we all can enjoy more the game.

For example, i hate to chase creatures all around the map to try to hit it. Id like to lock it with when double click on it and the character should auto chase it when this happens.

I insist with the market prices, i know rich people and high leveled players dont care about it because they own the market, but if we want new players they would be able to buy nice and 'cheap' stuff to train their skills, not just gears but tools. I dont remeber who wrote it but MM is a cape that 95% of the players needs it, so i think MM drop rate must be increased. If mm is not increased, i think new players should get more exp till 26 def so they can walk safe in WS, TG, PL, MM, NK...

Regards.

PS To people complaining about mods behaviour: follow the rules and i assure you the mods will leave you alone. They dont mess with you if you dont mess with them.

No wonder that EL can't get new players. Good for EL that mmohut guy didn't take a look on this forum...
Pretty sure this guy is not going to make or break EL. Shame he didn't come. It would be that shining example you think EL needs of how to take criticism, I am sure :brooding:

Well, wouldn't say that I have feelings for EL, but it's shame that game with so much potential is going to ruin.

From your eyes I'm clueless and misguided, but didn't quite a lot players quit playing and there are very few new?

Yes players have quit. However there are plenty of new characters. (Oh wait, how do I know that? I see each and every one that enters the game as it happens. How might YOU know there aren't many?) And in case you haven't been around long, a lot has changed in EL based on player input and radu's own wishes. It IS his game afterall.

One thing a lot of people don't seem to understand is that EL is not a democracy. Just because the loud vocal portion of the game population wants every bunny to drop a mm cape, or wants golden question marks dancing around, that doesn't make it appropriate or good for the game. Lots of things go into the decisions for EL's path.

For those of you who have posted ranting, obviously without reading the thread with any degree of comprehension, the complaint was not that the first impressionist made a video that was supposed to show EL from a newbie's perspective. The complaint is that he was NOT the average newbie. The average newbie is not ignoring EVERYTHING in his path so he can babble "verbal diarrhea" to impress whoever he thinks he's impressing.

If he had legitimate grievances, you all would have a leg to stand on. Almost every complaint he had was about something that was not even factual.

Again...as a person in the position this guy is claiming to be, an authority on online games, he owes it to the game, to the people going to his site, and to himself to do a little bit of research and homework before publicly presenting as FACT complaints that are not real.

Pretty sure this guy is not going to make or break EL. Shame he didn't come. It would be that shining example you think EL needs of how to take criticism, I am sure :pickaxe:

U can't broke something that's already broken.

Yes players have quit. However there are plenty of new characters. (Oh wait, how do I know that? I see each and every one that enters the game as it happens. How might YOU know there aren't many?) And in case you haven't been around long, a lot has changed in EL based on player input and radu's own wishes. It IS his game afterall.

As i said u get very few new players i never mentioned char's. How many players has multies? Or how many players has more than 2 multies? I would say that about now u don't have more than 350 real players.

Hmm, changes....players quiting, but: server update - new npc, server update - new npc, server update - new npc, server update - new npc.... He wants game with NPC's instead of players?

One thing a lot of people don't seem to understand is that EL is not a democracy. Just because the loud vocal portion of the game population wants every bunny to drop a mm cape, or wants golden question marks dancing around, that doesn't make it appropriate or good for the game. Lots of things go into the decisions for EL's path.

Well, i can only say that those decisions in last few years weren't so good.

Again...as a person in the position this guy is claiming to be, an authority on online games, he owes it to the people going to his site and playing game, and to himself to do a little bit of research and homework.

Did lil bit tweaking.

While there are a lot of alt, test chars, abandoned chars, I doubt only 350 people (unique IP addresses) play EL but actually a public statistic would be nice.

That wasn't only to Korrode, it was to all mods/devs.

Ummm I'm not a mod and by most usual definitions not a dev.

I so detest them... and I so love ripping them down a few pegs. :pickaxe:

:icon13:

You think I am against criticism of EL? or discussing issues with EL and ways to fix them?

<-- See that 3k post count, wanna guess what like half of it is? :P (and i don't mean the spam half xD)