Eternal Lands Official Forums
Kalix

Eternal-Lands first look

Well I don't really play EL ne more but I watch MMOHUTs first looks all the time by him and his brother, and yesterday I noticed he did one for EL. His first looks are where he just plays a game for a first time, from a new players prospective and does a review about the game. I thought it was kinda nifty, check it out for yourself.

Warning he compares the game to runescape

Interesting, thanks for posting.

/edit/

After seeing page 1 of the replies in this thread, I have to say:

I think the EL community should see those types of videos as what they are: First looks of newbies who experienced their fair share of MMO games. No more, no less.

Some things mentioned in the video might be worth discussing, other things are just uneducated guesses of a newbie who only wants to take a first look at EL (which is perfectly okay imo).

One of the main topics that could and should be discussed is: Why do people play EL? What keeps them playing EL? I mean, even the reviewer - a newbie - noticed that there are active players in this game - as opposed to other MMO games and that hence EL is probably worth playing :P And personally I can think of many good answers to the two questions above. But there's always room for improvement.

But I don't want to go there - at least in this thread.

/edit/

Edited by wage

OMG, has someone seen that video?

That guy has not a single clue what he is doing, but strongly refuses to read anything...

The best thing is when he browses through the knowledgelist and babbles about the huge amount of skills in game, lol.

Can't wait to read his *review*. :P

Piper

In my personal opinion I thought his review was horrible. He based it with lack of any knowledge whats so ever. He comletely missed the point of the map and so much more...

That much about the quality of reviews/videos/articles from that website.

If they rate other games like they did with that video, its only worth to kick that website in the bucket.

Refusing to read anything, just browsing through the game, comparing it with their favorite games and THEN even dare to post a video/write a review is just low IMO.

Well, my 2 cents..

Piper

Its not suppose to be a review. Its suppose to be the point of viewof a new player who has never played the game before.

Edited by Kalix

Its not suppose to be a review. Its suppose to be the point of viewof a new player who has never played the game before.

But in fact it is a video of a player who expects all features from his favorite games to be in game and of a player who refuses to read anything about the game.

He did not even read the tutorial NPC's dialogue and found the quest, but later babbles about he can't find any quests.

He passes every NPC in game and babbles about he can't find quest NPC's, because they don't have a golden questionmark above their head.

He even hasn't found out, what a skill is but talks about the great skills in game when he is browsing through the knowledge list.

Sorry, that guy didn't put any effort into research, just downloaded the client and made a stupid video.

IMO, if you want to post something about a game, you should play it at least for longer than 10 minutes. And not just make a video, write an article about it, later maybe a review and publish it on a website.

And that's what really annoys me: Having no clue what's going on but being able to post a video/article about something or even having a personal opinion about that.

Piper

Edit:

And sorry, Kalix, this is not against you, because you started this thread. This is just against ppl who feel free to post any bullshit like this video on youtube without having any idea what they are talking about.

Edited by The_Piper

He really shouldn't be stating as fact the incorrect things he's stating.

The list is endless.

He does a disservice both to EL and his hopes of becoming an authoritative source people will trust.

By the way, he was ingame for exactly 13:13 minutes:seconds.

did nobody notice that the moment the guy logged in, Radu is sat at the tutorial NCP talking to a newb about the tutorial quest .......... if this reviewer is so observational perhaps he would have noticed the creator of the game sat within 6 tiles of him talking a new player thru the basics .......

lol "eternal lands has like 20 maps or something" makes me laugh.

Maybe he's just starting to review games idk but he really needs to do a little more research and less verbal diarrhea.

It's obvious he's just some nub, calling him an 'amateur reviewer' would be an insult to amateur reviewers. About as much weight should be put in his words as you'd put in Paris Hilton's advice on mechanical engineering.

That said, it is an insight into "average-joe-nub's" first impression of EL, and since he makes up like 70%+ of the MMO players out there, changes to the game to appease him are worth at least considering.

Don't go yelling at the guy that "he doesn't know what he is doing". Actually you should be happy to see what new players think when they first log in. Try to see what could be changed to make it easier for a starting player to understand the game. Not a lot of people first want to read a book of how to play a game.

Actually the tutorial was completely renewed, giving new players a good help how to start and make their first steps ingame.

For beginners EL is a very complex game, but if you don't even care to learn some basic, you get lost and lose interest in it.

The new tutorial should make radus presence at beam obsolete, still he takes his time to guide new players into the game.

How many developers in other games do that? But still players whine and write such crappy reviews without having any clue about what EL really offers to players.

This is my opinion and Ima be flamed out im sure but he is an established reviewer running mmohut.com which is one of the more successful mmo sites. But this video wasnt a review, it was a first impression on the game, what a new player would think, who has just downloaded the game installed and logged in. I gave his opinion on the game from what he saw for the first time,but most of you are posting expecting new players to read a novel on the game before they play. Instead of thinking of him as a dumb ass who doesnt know what hes doing, you should instead take his ideas one how his ideas could make the game better and make an effort at least considering his ideas, and i cant say i disagree with him, and so would the majority of gamers. Not only that but I had logged on and was on IP with a formal guild member kinda thinking of remaking the guild and coming back to game and spoke to several new players who found this game because of his first look, like i said he is an established review and has first impression game play videos of the majority of the mmorpgs out there, running a well known mmo site, so its also advertising the game.

It wasnt a review, it was a first impression. And in his first impression he only disliked two things, there was no thing signaling the npc was a quest npc, and he didnt like the interface, and most people would have bashed the game a lot more.

Edited by Kalix

What is wrong with you people.. lol

Someone records their first minutes ingame with commentary ... Many flaws (from new players perspective) become obvious when watching his video. I found it entertaining to watch and agree with the points he made.

How would someone know that a minimap existed within a few minutes of playing?? That he failed to see the tutorial quest shows that there ARE players that miss it completely, a big question mark above the npcs head would be handy. Saying you don't want players 'like him' is nonsense,, more players is more better k?

What is wrong with you people.. lol

Someone records their first minutes ingame with commentary ... Many flaws (from new players perspective) become obvious when watching his video. I found it entertaining to watch and agree with the points he made.

How would someone know that a minimap existed within a few minutes of playing?? That he failed to see the tutorial quest shows that there ARE players that miss it completely, a big question mark above the npcs head would be handy. Saying you don't want players 'like him' is nonsense,, more players is more better k?

Well imo the question marks aren't needed. There are people who want to talk to every NPC and see if it has a quest or just some other shit to talk.

And if you're not interested to seek for quests, you can go to Choris's netpage or EL-help forums and easily see what quests are out there and where. Easy and everyone should be happy :P

Edited by Miiks

If that site would cover all the mmorpgs out there it would be the best site. That is my number 1 source for new mmorpgs and stuff related to them. I always watch his first impressions of a game before actually downloading it. You need not worry about his bashing and his jokes since he does that to EVERY mmorpg he reviews because there is no perfect mmorpg. And I assure you he only has the best intentions when criticising a game. Just read some of his reviews and you will see. And I have to agree with him on most of the facts. The game is pretty overwhelming for a newbie, a good interface works wonders in attracting and keeping players (I can vouch for that! Many games lost me because of the interface) and quests should be a little easier to find. 80% of the players are people who want to level fast without having to read pages of text so exclamation marks above the quest npcs wouldn't hurt (or at least above the npcs that give low leveled quests). But then again I only played 70% of the free mmorpgs out there so don't mind my babbling.

EDIT: Don't jump on me: I was one of the people that requested the review.

Edited by Garnoo

13 minutes is longer than some new players stay, and it was good to see some of the comments from his first impression. The thing that might be a pleasant surprise to this reviewer is that such input can lead to actual improvements of the game. It takes a couple of hours to get through the newbie tutorial, and it does require people to actually read instead of just point and click, but if his input can result in more players staying past the first 5 minutes, then that is a good thing.

Just my two cents.

This is my opinion and Ima be flamed out im sure but he is an established reviewer running mmohut.com which is one of the more successful mmo sites.

Then I would think he should know his facts before spouting incorrect assumptions as facts. That kind of position demands a bit more responsibility and accuracy than he was giving. People visiting the site will take his "observations" as gospel due to his status.

I know now that I wouldn't use his site for reference for any game since he not only doesn't do his homework but is misleading the general public with ignorance.

@prohibited: Hmm I like quality over quantity myself.

EL shouldn't be dumbed down because somebody shows up and can't be arsed to read or ASK something for 13 minutes.

EL is a complex game, as Raistlin said. It's geared for people who don't need to win it in 13 minutes.

And he didn't fail to see the Tutorial NPC, he commented multiple times about it and even opened the dialogue and still missed the quests. I don't think a big golden question mark would have helped this guy.

(Personal laugh: He made note of how stupid and uncreative the name "Tuturial NPC" is, yet he wants to replace that with a big golden question mark?)

(Personal laugh #2: "If the game were more sleek and modern I'd like it a lot better." Ehh it's medieval. Go play star wars for sleek and modern.)

I can't imagine what changes he would have that would make EL better.

(Personal laugh #2: "If the game were more sleek and modern I'd like it a lot better." Ehh it's medieval. Go play star wars for sleek and modern.)

I think he was referring to the interface not the game itself.

Good (sleek/modern) interface:

http://img443.imageshack.us/f/lotro1je1.jpg/

Bad (Diablo has a way better interface and it's not even made in the 2000s) interface:

http://gamefilefs.paran.com/TwelveSky/Scre...34688122222.JPG

You have to agree that the lotro one looks way better than the twelve sky interface. It's only a matter of design but it does make quite a difference.

EDIT: Over the years EL had many graphic upgrades but the interface stayed the same. Designing a better one wouldn't be THAT hard.

Edited by Garnoo

A difference to what?

Maybe that is not the look that is wanted.

Note the general theme going in EL: look at the maps, look at the houses, look at the over all old medieval theme.

Those gui's would look silly here.

I like the design as it is. :)

ON Topic: Any game is over whelming to new players. It's hard to learn. I thinking asking for help is the best idea if you start playing a game, thus you will learn who's nice ad who's just a JACKASS (future people you wish to not contact, lol).

I look at it this way; If he's truly played/reviewed a lot of games, he should know by now that NPCs often give quests out. I will agree about reading the Ency, it IS a lot to read, and you still don't understand a lot... But I read it when I was a newb, off and on, it is helpful and I advise any new player to read it.