Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
asgnny

Adding a cost to change a guild tag

I like both ideas of a higher price for starting a guild and some sort of fee for changing the short name. Having a guild should be more then just a little work, hopefully making it something you would take more pride in, and a tag change fee would make changing a tag to avoid wrongdoings or enemies a little harder. (Although it is a helluva lot of fun to randomly change tags on your guildies and make them walk around as LADY or PONY guild for awhile.) Not so crazy about needing a rare item to do either though, there are already tons of uses for them in game now.

I propose a cost (maybe 5-10k gc, or e.g. an EFE) in order for a guild to change its short tag. Guilds seem to change their short name on a whim, which can have a variety of negative effects.

On the positive side, we would have a gc (or item) sink, less confusion for new players, a bit more accountability for guild leaders.

The proposed fee is low IMHO. I think that starting a guild should cost like 100kgc and changing a tag 25-50kgc. <snip>

Absolutely yes to both.

Agree to both, how many guilds do you see fall because 30kgc is relatively easy to get for a newbie (several k's of fe's if you want an example...). I would say maybe the guild fee should be 50kgc and that the guild short name should be prompted as soon as you type #make_guild. This way, you have a free short name the first go around.

Although this is great, what about the guild name? Even though that isn't shown except when #guild_info is typed, should there also be a fee with this as well? Most tags are directly related to their name, usually by an acronym.

Sorry for double post, but maybe we should also think about a #merge_guild tag command? This will make the smaller guilds possibly disappear by merging with other guilds....just a thought.

Agree to both, how many guilds do you see fall because 30kgc is relatively easy to get for a newbie (several k's of fe's if you want an example...). I would say maybe the guild fee should be 50kgc

lol

...more like 200kgc

Guilds seem to change their short name on a whim, which can have a variety of negative effects.

Like what?

arguments heard are "there are too many guilds in the game". realize, this has nothing to do with changing your guild name.

a valid argument is that bots read your guild tag instead of some unique guild id when determining prices/availability. Adding a fee to change a guild doesn't seem like an appropriate solution here.

I'd like to hear from the originator, what are the "variety of negative effects"? and how will poofing gc mitigate these effects?

I like what CherUT pointed.

I don't like people being alone in the guild, just for tag. I'm always thinking they are trying to say: "Hey, look how amazing I am, I created this guild only to make myself some funny tag next to my nickname." This is not what guilds are for.

My ideas: Minimum 5 people to create a guild. I propose fee near 200k and 50k for tag change, at least.

I don't like people being alone in the guild, just for tag. I'm always thinking they are trying to say: "Hey, look how amazing I am, I created this guild only to make myself some funny tag next to my nickname." This is not what guilds are for.

My ideas: Minimum 5 people to create a guild. I propose fee near 200k and 50k for tag change, at least.

Some people want to PK even they aren't interested in joining a guild so it's easier to make own guild so you can't att your summons by an accident and can make allys with other guilds etc. Also there's people who aren't interested in hearing "wanna join my guild?" -questions all day so they make their own guild even they want to be alone there. So I don't agree with this idea.

Edited by Miiks

guild system lacks in EL

i mean u can create a guild and u can have the same advantages with a guild that has been around for 4-5 years (system speaking).

i think that there should be something like a point system for guilds and the members should get some more advantages, when they are at a strong guilds

i.e. Something like less waiting time for instances

but many things have to change before that like waiting time to join a guild even if u are kicked etc.

as i said before there is no real need for guild tags to change anyway and i agree with ppl having to pay more to create one

There is already a guild ladder right? Why not give top 5 guilds to gain a certain amount of XP in the skill they excel at? For example, first five top manufacturing guilds could receive 5%, 4%, 3%, 2% and 1% manufacturing XP bonus.

This could move people of the same focus to stick together and make some guilds a real guilds (guild of mercenaries, guild of harvesters, guild of armores, you know what I mean...).

There is already a guild ladder right? Why not give top 5 guilds to gain a certain amount of XP in the skill they excel at? For example, first five top manufacturing guilds could receive 5%, 4%, 3%, 2% and 1% manufacturing XP bonus.

This could move people of the same focus to stick together and make some guilds a real guilds (guild of mercenaries, guild of harvesters, guild of armores, you know what I mean...).

I don't think particular guilds should have any advantages over other guilds. If there were, everyone would leave their guild and join the most powerful guild. Eventually there would be only one guild in the whole game, which is the same as having no guilds at all.

Radu has said many times that EL allows for classless characters. He prefers that players be able to excel in any skill they want, not be limited to only a few skills.

I prefer all arounders guilds too, mixed with a/d trainers and mixers , i think guilds like that are better, and u can get more good things out of it, ppl bond better (also helps with trading)

I dont think radu would give exp bonus for guilds anyway.

But there are some things that can make life easier on EL some bonus that dont effect that much but have some good impact

It was just an idea. I'm allarounder too. But yes, you essentialy answered yourself, people would tend to congregate in less number of guilds making them more powerful.

maybe would also make,that people would have to pay fee,if they wanna keep their guild and after that set that creating guild cost - <XXX kgc> and guild tag change <xx -> xxx> gc cost , so you would decrease amount of unusefull/ dead guilds

I understand the reasons behind the idea, accountability and all however :

if a guild is shit tagged , doesnt matter if they change thier short name, the tag stays the same colour - meaning they cant avoid shit tags by changing thier short tag

secondly i used to enjoy changing my guild tag for purely fun reasons , and chargin gc for this seems abit ... i dunnoh , odd

thirdly - does EL really really need another GC sink ? I say this because not so long ago I gave away my entire storage , and since returning to the game, even with reasonable lvls of competence in a few skills , making money via the game system is a long and arduous task ( by game system I mean harvesting epic amounts of ores and minerals , mixing them and so on instead of buying GC from someone or fighting hours of fluffs )

I think sometimes fun is forgotten in place of mechanics and small issues, Im guilty of it on occasion

Re: fee to change tag (short name)

One man's fun is another man's headache.

Abuse runs rampant with this "feature".

Some examples:

Guilds thinking it cute to make their tag say FUCK or POOP or mocking other players, etc.

Guilds harassing another guild through #ig then changing the tag (and repeat many times) so the other guild can't block or retaliate.

Guild members changing tags and not telling other guild members and mods get the help requests for the bug reports.

Players trying to hide after doing abusive or illegal things.

Impersonation and tag "stealing".

Wasting of moderator time when all of the above happens and we're dragged into it and stuck trying to figure it all out.

(Actually there are other problems too more mod related that I won't get into here.)

Re: Increase cost of creating guild:

I would love to make the skill level(s) needed higher as well, maybe make it so that multiple skills are required to be a certain level before one can create and lead a guild.

Also I would make it required that any transfer recipient (changing the owner) of a guild also meet these requirements.

A guild leader should be experienced and able to run a guild and guide (one way or another) his members.

Becoming a guild leader should be a goal in the game, not instantly available.

Becoming a member in a guild should not be difficult, but earning the way to lead one should require more effort, and a guild leader should command more respect than he/she does now.

As to the one-man-guild syndrome: tough call. I generally agree with the point made that the concept of guilds is for groups of people to bond and become a team.

That said, I ended up in a one-man-guild by default, well myself and Pet Fox now. I am not keen on giving it up for sentimental reasons, and I also do enjoy not being harassed to join a guild. I for obvious reasons feel I cannot join a "real" guild. I can't very well say one-man-guilds should be abolished either. There are legitimate reasons for having them. Tough call.

I definitely do not agree with a minimum number of people required for a guild to exist. Miiks and Aislinn covered most of the reasons why. Additionally to those reasons, what would happen to my competition guilds? I have 2 guilds that I keep for usage as teams in PK events, most of the time each guild has just one member.

I agree with the general idea of an increase in the non-monetary requirements to create a guild (as touched on by Aislinn), but it is certainly something that would need to be considered very carefully.

While I support the idea of raising the requirement to start a guild (for example one combat and one non-combat skill above 60), raising the requirement for a regular member seems detrimental to me. After all guild is a good place to learn faster than on tagless' own...

While I support the idea of raising the requirement to start a guild (for example one combat and one non-combat skill above 60), raising the requirement for a regular member seems detrimental to me. After all guild is a good place to learn faster than on tagless' own...

Who said anything about raising the requirement to join a guild?

I thought you did, but I re-read it and I misunderstood the part about recipient. You were referring to transfer an ownership, whilst I understood it as receiving a membership. Apologiez for confusion...

I thought you did, but I re-read it and I misunderstood the part about recipient. You were referring to transfer an ownership, whilst I understood it as receiving a membership. Apologiez for confusion...

Ehh sorry. I edited my post to clarify that. It was badly written.

don't say that csiga :o i need to get one for my pk server char!

Raising lvl+gc requirements to form a guild, and gc to change tag YES.

Total members requirement NO. ...my votes

Also I would make it required that any transfer recipient (changing the owner) of a guild also meet these requirements.

A guild leader should be experienced and able to run a guild and guide (one way or another) his members.

I agree with alot of what has been posted in the thread as far as making it more expensive as well as name change costs etc. but this one is kinda hard for me.

Our guild has a council run by multiple people to help with guild longevity. As such we have a secondary player at guild rank 20 with very low skills that a few of the top leaders in the guild have access to. I know this wouldn't work for all guilds and many guilds are built around a single leader but it has worked for our guild for 4 years now.

So while I agree that the creator(s) of the guild should have higher stats the transfer issue is kinda a grey area for me.

Side note: Some guilds also set up a trade bot or storage bot(most likely with low skill stats) with guild rank 19 or 20 to allow kicking and accepting members for pvp purposes as EL has no way for members of the same guild to safely train together. An addition of a guild map guild only pvp arena where members of the same guild can train would be a great boost if it's possible.