Eternal Lands Official Forums
Dilly

EL Urban Legends

´You need to have harvest level 100 to become a mod´
You mean it's not true?? :)
this is a myth from around the time brod was introduced.

"You can mirror the brod hit back onto the wielder via using a mirror cape"

I'm pretty sure I head about Bone special hit being mirrored though... Edited by EaglePrince

I'm pretty sure I head about Bone special hit being mirrored though...

I've seen used scythe in instances (where are many mobs with mirror skin perk) and I never, repeat NEVER seen single scythe (a.k.a. BoD effect) mirrored back to the scythe wielder...

This from years ago :

When you PK, have always the cheapest items like meds equiped in the top slots and the rare/most expensive in the lowest slots,

BROD will hit/destroy the items in the top slots first.

That was actually true untill Ent fixed it. Well thats what i believed anyway lol

Really have to learn to read more slowly, was already answered.

Heres one:

If you marry a Female toon in game it means they are Female in real life. Well at least until they post on forums that they are not.

And another:

If you click on the lilly pad near VOTD docks you will go to a wonderful happy place, and dont forget to wear your best armour.

:)

Edited by ohmygod

IIRC he had like 32 or 36 bought PP and OA over 150, so he was very close, yes. However, he surely did not have gelatine bones, i cant dance or one perk (which was implemented after he retired), and also he had some nexues (human 7 and inorganic 2 - for coal and silver), so the math kinda malfunctions here somewhere :)

Yeah true, but actually I think it was the person (think it was anthony) that bought toomass and had those attributes. Nowadays the char has 61 bought PPs, but also lots of positive perks since kgxjeff ruined the char, removed lots of attributes and took stupid perks.

Small maths: 61 bought PPs, 165 oa, 24 PPs from neg perks = makes 250 PPs in total if I didn't misscalc. Since the nexuses are bought with hydro bars, so it didn't miss much from all attributes maxed.

Edited by Miiks

I think it's time to address a serious urban myth and uncover the truth behind it now.

It's the one regarding percentages ingame.

You know what I mean..your chance of getting that NMT from a fluffy, or of degrading that precious dragon armour, or even finding that lovely shiny nexus removal stone....

Like most players, I've always had the impression that a 1 in 10k chance to get an item means that ..if it was from harvesting...I'd have to harvest 10k of that ore/mineral/plant in order to get one of the items.

I believe this is wrong.

If i wanted an nmt from a fluffy and (making up the figures here btw, but the essence will hold true for radu to confirm or deny if he sees fit at the end) it was for instance, a 1 in 15,000 chance of getting nmt as a drop...i wouldnt have to kill 15,000 fluffy to guarantee that I'd get an nmt.

I think what most players, and myself up til now, have failed to realise is..it isnt ONE player killing 15,000 fluffy that would cause an NMt to be dropped...it's 15,000 fluffy being killed that causes it.

So in actual fact, i could kill 14,999 fluffy in SKF and get no NMT on the next one i kill, coz it turns out someone in grubani killed the 15,000 one and got nmt.

This theory of mine about this EL-wide myth regarding chances to get items or have breakages affects a lot of players ingame who probably shared my original views about the % being player specific, as opposed to server-wide.

Can we have some enlightment on this one please Radu??

It would explain a lot of "unlucky" players out there who have never yet found that first removal stone.

I'm pretty sure I head about Bone special hit being mirrored though...

I've seen used scythe in instances (where are many mobs with mirror skin perk) and I never, repeat NEVER seen single scythe (a.k.a. BoD effect) mirrored back to the scythe wielder...

The scythe/bod effect to be mirrored, assuming the mirror skin on mobs works at 10% as the perk, would be like 0.20%

You would get 2 mirrors in 1000 BoDs from scythe USED IN mirrored mobs. Using in a very bad way the percents (coz nulifing a lot of variables) if you make 20 BoD in a instance, you would only see 1 mirror every 25 instances. The chances are low...

Besides Critics or Make rare astro could affect this. (just a guessing :))

Now, iirc i saw the unlucky Daiske12 been mirrored from scythe against a Meltean :) hehe (and died)

Edited by dipi

Just a little comment regarding probability:

First off: I have no clue how radu implemented the dropchances for rare items, poisoning chance of toadstools, etc. .

Every mayor programming language does have a function called random(minValue, maxValue) though and that's the way i'd do this.

Also when the last server crash occurred, radu mentioned something about using this function somewhere, so chances are he

also used it for the issues at hand. The numbers generated by those functions are not true random numbers, but use a timestamp

and some calculations to give you a random number from the specified interval. Regarding shroomies though this means that, e.g.

the function used has seconds as smallest unit, if you click multiple shroomies inside the same second, the number generated will be

the same for all of those, making you get poisoned multiple times.

With the exception of this little drawback random functions generate random numbers though. This means, getting back to the rare drops

example, if the chance to get a rare drop is 1/15000 and you already slew 14999 fluffs without getting one and now slay Nr.15000,

the chance to get a rare drop from it, you guessed right there, is still 1/15000.

This is all purely hypothetical though and sorry for smartassing. :)

Cheers,

Elgoran.

Edited by Elgoran

'if the chance to get a rare drop is 1/15000'

hmmm, i still wonder is it a personal chance or a global chance ?

same thing with decreased or increased rare making days...

i think its a global chance, if many work on FE's the chance for each single

mixer would go down, so on decreased rare day less people work on essies

and your personell chance goes up ...hmmmm realy not shure

only my thought :)

"Its random" is what people say, meaning they either don't know how probability works or don't want to spend time explaining.

1/15000 means there is a chance to get that event. That chance or probability does not change, it is still 1/15000.

If you would get the drop every 15000th time, the chance would be zero 14999 times, then on the 15000th time it would be 100%.

On pk server you will very often be the only one killing a specific type of mob (say PW) and drops are still 'random' in nature, not every 10th PW gives a S2E.

Every time I try to fix a 50k++ worth item it fails, always tell myself the next time will be different,, its still a 50/50 shot right? ~6 in a row now, 1.65% chance,, my bad luck. :pickaxe:

Something I used to believe in:

-Armor breakrate is approximately the same no matter how hard you are hit. (as Radu announced somewhere it does matter (toughness) and matter alot)

-Weapon breakrate is the same no matter what you are hitting. (strong mobs = no break, weak mob = lots o break)

Edited by ProHibited

Just a little comment regarding probability:

First off: I have no clue how radu implemented the dropchances for rare items, poisoning chance of toadstools, etc. .

Every mayor programming language does have a function called random(minValue, maxValue) though and that's the way i'd do this.

Also when the last server crash occurred, radu mentioned something about using this function somewhere, so chances are he

also used it for the issues at hand. The numbers generated by those functions are not true random numbers, but use a timestamp

and some calculations to give you a random number from the specified interval. Regarding shroomies though this means that, e.g.

the function used has seconds as smallest unit, if you click multiple shroomies inside the same second, the number generated will be

With the exception of this little drawback random functions generate random numbers though. This means, getting back to the rare drops

example, if the chance to get a rare drop is 1/15000 and you already slew 14999 fluffs without getting one and now slay Nr.15000,

the chance to get a rare drop from it, you guessed right there, is still 1/15000.

This is all purely hypothetical though and sorry for smartassing. :pickaxe:

Cheers,

Elgoran.

Yes...i got all that..but the point i am trying to draw attention to here..is..it isnt just you killing fluffy ingame.

so at the moment of fluffy-death, your 1/15000 could actually be one of 59 other fluffy deaths simultaneously happening, which increases the chance of nmt IF its a gamewide and not a player specific chance of nmt being dropped...it would be 59 deaths giving 1/15000 then. (which, as i see it, means a greater chance that an NMT HAS been dropped SOMEWHERE)...um...not sure i am actually explaining what i mean here correctly or even if i am viewing it right myself ...it just seems there WOULD be a difference between the % being player specific or game-wide.

I understand about the chance being the same each and every fluffy though...just is it the same by being server or player calculated chance?

Obvious answer to my mind is that it's server specific, since, as is pointed out above, regarding the pker server post by prohibited, you'd expect to have that nmt after personally killing X number of fluffy. But that's where this urban myth is exploded then, which was my point for posting it...because MOST players DO think like that, that they SHOULD be getting a removal stone after XXXX amount of harvested items, or an nmt after XXXX fluffy kills.

And that brings me neatly back to teh topic.

Edit:

Actually isnt chance of nmt drop from fluffy just 50/50? it either does or it doesnt drop nmt. argh???

Edit 2:

Had a rethink about how to ask the right question now...

does the server test each individual fluffy kill out of the 59 simultaneous kills in the above example to see if one of them would drop an nmt, OR...does it just check ONCE vs the 1/15000, regardless of the number of simultaneous fluffy deaths, (and then awards one nmt to one of the lucky fluffy killers if it gets a positive result)??

That's what i mean about being specific to the server or the player(s).

Edited by Pyewacket

OMG it was so long ago?

I feel old...:S

DonPedro was level 120-130 A/D as far as I remember.

Killed his char because his thermal serp broke after very short time (only very few in game at that time)

Before C2 was in game.

on good a/d astro my armor would last longer till it breaks :pickaxe:

I wonder if that could be because your degrade astro is also good... :pickaxe:

Random number generators are not really working like that. I doubt Radu set the random seed with the current time each time he needs a random number... :pickaxe:

nice site :pickaxe: thank you solarstar :pickaxe:

'I wonder if that could be because your degrade astro is also good...'

hmm, i thought till now the degrade astro is for tools ...

but i found out, the bigger the gap from my def level to the att level of a creature

the less armor i break.

when i started with ogres i broke an aug leather pant nearly every 10 minutes or so

now after over 8k ogres and some more def levels on my site i can fight a few 100th

ogres with one pant on...

Edited by wuffzel

'if the chance to get a rare drop is 1/15000'

hmmm, i still wonder is it a personal chance or a global chance ?

same thing with decreased or increased rare making days...

i think its a global chance, if many work on FE's the chance for each single

mixer would go down, so on decreased rare day less people work on essies

and your personell chance goes up ...hmmmm realy not shure

only my thought ;)

Rofl - love this!

If the chance is 1/15000 it is 1/15000 per kill- regardless of how many people kill!

1/15k is a probability, not a guarantee. For every fluffy that dies, it has a 1/15k chance of dropping you the nmt. That means on average, there will be 2 drops in 30k fluffs. But that does not mean it will be dropped every 15k.

There may be several consecutive nmt drops but the probability of say 3 happening at the same time is 1/15k^3 which is to say slim.

But to answer your question, the server doesn't care if it's 14999 fluffs killed by you or someone else, the chance is still the same for the 15kth fluff to not drop the cape.

1/15k is a probability, not a guarantee. For every fluffy that dies, it has a 1/15k chance of dropping you the nmt. That means on average, there will be 2 drops in 30k fluffs. But that does not mean it will be dropped every 15k.

There may be several consecutive nmt drops but the probability of say 3 happening at the same time is 1/15k^3 which is to say slim.

But to answer your question, the server doesn't care if it's 14999 fluffs killed by you or someone else, the chance is still the same for the 15kth fluff to not drop the cape.

actually ray, the question i was posing wasnt about if its killed by me or someone else, i was referring to whether the check to determine if an nmt is dropped is made enmasse at a given point, or per.

Reason i ask is that i once heard that the chances of an animal nexus removal stone being found ingame was roughly once per month, waaaay back when the nexus removals first came out. Now given that is true (which may be based on something entirely different), that would mean time specific checks to determine the outcome of whether a stone is found or not. Which means it would not be unfeasible to suggest the possibility of that test being a single one off test vs probability against the whole playerbase as opposed to individual ones (individual tests would produce a far higher yield of positive results for starters).

So, applying that to this particular example as well, if there were a lot of fluffy kills within a short span of time, a greater number of chances exists for an nmt drop than actually occur ingame at present, is that not so?

After all, each player may have a 1/15000 chance of getting that nmt on each fluffy kill, but when a lot of players are killing a lot of fluffys that is a LOT of chance-rolls being done over and over again. A lot more than is accounted for by the actual number of nmt ingame...or at least the visible number, since i dont see many selling on market atm.

Since there doesnt seem to be a huge influx of nmt, i can only assume that the number of players killing a fluffy simultaneous may only trigger one single nmt-check for the whole batch of deaths, with a random award of nmt to one winner. As opposed to X number of checks for each individual fluffy death, which would multiply the 1/15000 checks and give a bigger chance that an nmt is brought into the game.

The same seems probable to me for enriched mixing rates as well. On joules day especially, when everyone who mixes fire ess is clicking away happily, I would guess that simultaneous essence mixing gets ONE check vs ALL the ess made by ALL players in that particular game-second, with X number of positive results = awarding Enriched essence to random players out of the subject group. If it was single checks VS each player instead, then the chance to mix one would have to be multiplied by every single player clicking mix at that point in time, which exponentially increases the % of enriched essence chance to come into the game.

Is this actually making any sense to anyone? Or am I still barking up the wrong tree on it?

I've heard from a multitude of sources, it does not matter how many are doing it, the chances for make rare, find rare and rare drops do not change based on the people also doing the same thing. The chances stay the same for each person.