Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
makuyi

new=bad

This game is perfect for me. I was addicted when I started it 7 weeks ago.

I have had a lot of advice and encouragement from other players which made me feel welcome. However, there is one side of being a new player in this game that makes you feel less welcomed.

Some people think that new players (especially the ones without a guild) are either alts or bagjumpers. I have been asked a lot of times who I really was. First I thought they were interested in me, but nope.

I see people pick up the bags they are sitting on when new players come sit next to them. I overheard some conversations, so I fully understand that there are people who do the bagjumping as a living here, but please, dont think that all new players are here to scam.

Yesterday I was mixing and went afk. When I got back, I had a message from some one who wanted me to move away. I went to another storage (now I know he only meant me to move away from him, so I would not be a thread), but I did not understand what I did wrong, so I asked. In the end the answer I got from the guy was:

[PM from .....................: no not you..but things have been happening to send red flags up

so plz dont feel bad K?]

I am perfectly able to earn my own money (2 more books to read and I can make my own harvester medallion by making all the ingredients myself) I am proud of what I have accomplished, I dont need to scam or bagjump (a word I had never heard of before)and I am sure there are more new players like me.

Lets not be too suspicious. There are new players out there who just love this game.

Please Makayi don't be upset, be assumed amused.

If you think about it, having the power to make other people move can be very handy ^_^

You also have to accept that in the process of weighing up how safe your gear is there are a lot of questions to go through:

• Do you know them? No
  • Do you know the guild? No
  • What value can they take up to? Maybe alot.

Once you have more renown amongst the community, people will trust you more.

EDIT: Hit enter half way through my post - I'm newbie!

Edited by Zenial

Don't forget that once you have amassed 30k and sufficient levels Makuyi, you can create your own guild and bring some of these new players who love the game like you do, into your guild. You certainly have the qualilies of being a good leader already, not to mention the ability to pass on what you have learned to these players. Yeah I know..you play EL for getting away from real life, why would you want to be a teacher here too?

I'd have to answer: Because it's one skill you possess in abundance that you don't have a level for, but for which you are obviously ranked highly.

Give it some thought, if only to get those annoying folks like me off your back about joining THEIR guild. :omg:

- PYE

Of course not all the newbies are bagjumpers or scammers and so on but since the known scammers and BJers create new chars to keep the work up ppl take precausions and stay suspicious at players they haven't seen before, better safe then sorry so to speak.

Talk with the people around you when you are in a cave harvesting or sitting in a storage, that will make them notice you and won't see you as a threat after a while but as it is now not much to do when it comes to how some players act towards newbies. I for one would never ask someone to move just because they are sitting there if i take a risk i am aware of it and accept it.

PYE got a point there too, you could start a guild or look for a guild that helps newbies (HNP is one) in EL to get a good start there are lots of em out there if you don't want to start your own but try to chare your knowledge with other newbies when you see them are always a good thing to do if you are worried about thier experience in meeting other players.

Please Makayi don't be upset, be assumed.

If you think about it, having the power to make other people move can be very handy ^_^

You also have to accept that in the process of weighing up how safe your gear is there are a lot of questions to go through:

• Do you know them? No
  • Do you know the guild? No
  • What value can they take up to? Maybe alot.

Once you have more renown amongst the community, people will trust you more.

EDIT: Hit enter half way through my post - I'm newbie!

Very thoughtful observaton regarding player behavior in game. "be Assumed" If it yours /clap clap to you, If not then link please :rolleyes:

But a question if you have spare time out of your day to answer, cause I got heaps atm, time out of my day that is lol lazy weekends, got to love em.

Anyways:

Would it mean a stronger sense of community if you feel you have nothing to lose? It is pixels after all

Would you then stop making assumptions about people and accept them for the new players/people they are? See instantly the future potential they can achieve if they stay playing long enough and the niche roles they could fill and play in the community?

Do you think interactions in game maybe be a more positive experience and valued one?

Because atm it seems kinda sad that by instilling a value of distrust in new players as they "grow up" will only make a cycle of distrust for the new players that come along later to go through eg rinse and repeat?

Trial of fire so to speak and if you cant swim you log out not to log in again or however the saying goes? lol

Is that the where the EL community wants to go into their future and is it what makes the game it is and keeps the riff raff out?

Logging in a mmorpg gives u the opportunity to meet many ppl, with some of them u will be friends, with some other enemies, some ppl will not trust you, some others will.

So u met few ppl that didnt trust you, so what lol?

I had a message from some one who wanted me to move away. I went to another storage

lol serious ? :pickaxe: Why you did that ? Unless you consider this game an extension of your real life you should not care about what people say here.

Yesterday I was mixing and went afk. When I got back, I had a message from some one who wanted me to move away. I went to another storage (now I know he only meant me to move away from him, so I would not be a thread), but I did not understand what I did wrong, so I asked. In the end the answer I got from the guy was:

[PM from .....................: no not you..but things have been happening to send red flags up

so plz dont feel bad K?]

Don't do that! If someone has a problem with you sitting there, they can move themselves.

Edited by hussam

I once went AFK while harvesting, only to come back and find a screenful of insulting PMs and GMs from someone who wanted me to move because he wanted to place a hyperbag and didn't want me to see it! :P

So, yes I can understand why s/he might have wanted you to move. But like one or two people pointed out, you can ignore them, or just smile.:)

I was harvesting fruit once in Portland. Harvesting fruit is somewhat boring so I was semi afk. When I got back, someone had repeatedly PMed me to move because apparently I was sitting too close to his girlfriend. :P

Edited by hussam

I am sorry you had to feel this way, I will assure you if you see me in game, I will not act like this. I am not super paranoid if I get BJed (I don't appreciate it, but I just shrug and start a new bag). I am a mixer/harvester, so dying is not very likely unless I mix with toads, which I don't.

Feel free to say hi if you see me, and welcome to Eternal Lands!

Of course not all the newbies are bagjumpers or scammers and so on but since the known scammers and BJers create new chars to keep the work up ppl take precausions and stay suspicious at players they haven't seen before, better safe then sorry so to speak.

Talk with the people around you when you are in a cave harvesting or sitting in a storage, that will make them notice you and won't see you as a threat after a while but as it is now not much to do when it comes to how some players act towards newbies. I for one would never ask someone to move just because they are sitting there if i take a risk i am aware of it and accept it.

PYE got a point there too, you could start a guild or look for a guild that helps newbies (HNP is one) in EL to get a good start there are lots of em out there if you don't want to start your own but try to chare your knowledge with other newbies when you see them are always a good thing to do if you are worried about thier experience in meeting other players.

This is excellent advice! If I see someone at a mine, I'm likely to talk, but I is a chatter box. :) Best people to try to talk to is those you see in decent guilds who are online all the time. Guilds talk together, and soon you will have no worries getting a GOOD reputation.

And most of all, try not to take it personal. People didn't do that where I was at when I came back from 3 years and was guildless, I don't know if they knew of me, or were like me and did not to paranoid over a bag lost.

One guy did ask for me not to take the bag, and thanked me later, but if I was to take the bag though, I would have, even if he asked not, so I feel he wasted his first line, :P

Have fun in the game!

OH yeah, I should mention, most people ask each other to move cause they are STUCK, this happens is populated areas. I am not sure if people are rude about it or not, adding please to "move" wouldn't hurt.

Edited by Lexi