Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pegleg

El Makes my laptop over heat

Try going to Options->Video->Limit FPS and set a limit of 30 or so.

With no limit, you'll be running your CPU at 100% the whole time. A limit of 30 or so still provides reasonable smooth graphics but (should) cut your CPU usage down and thus stop the overheating. You can fine-tune the 30 up/down as needed.

Thanks I will try that.. If I have several custom clothes will that also make the laptop hot?

Thanks I will try that.. If I have several custom clothes will that also make the laptop hot?

You can also get a laptop cooler device to put your laptop on. It basically raises it up a bit so air can flow under it and cool it. An upside muffin tin works GREAT too :(

If I have several custom clothes will that also make the laptop hot?

No. It's about how busy your CPU is, and that is directly related to frames per second being displayed. Lower the FPS, the CPU load drops, and the laptop runs cooler.

As Aislinn mentioned though, thing that will give your laptop more room to breath will also help. Basically, laptops have this lame idea of putting the air vents on the bottom and those will often be covered when it is on a non-firm surface like a blanket or your lap (which may cook you lap) and even on a flat surface, it may reduce air flow. So, anything that can reduce the air obstructions that your laptop may face would be good for it. As for the frames per second, too many frames per second is bad and reflections (which are mainly seen near water) may drastically affect fps and cpu use. If you have reflections turned on and you are near water, your cpu may get hot from it.

whatever you do be careful if your going to use compressed air to clean your fans out on your laptop, I tried to do mine and it totally broke my fan, aparently your supposed to insert something into the fan to stop it moving when you blow compressed ait into it, but I didnt know this and it blew my laptop up :(

but yeh, the laptop fans are great and only about $40 for a decent one that will keep your laptop from overheating too much, my wifes got one, worked wonders during summer

Stop calling them "laptops" people, they're not meant to be sat atop your lap (as nathan indicated), Intel said from now on we call them "notebooks" so ppl stop putting them on lap :<

I also have a Toshiba A300-23J and having overheat problems usually. Now I have limited my FPS down to 30 and using a *notebook* (korr :( ) cooler with it, having no problems so far. But it's also effected by the outside temp....

Anyways, lower your fps and get a cooler with 3x fan, it ownz :) And also are you using it high performance status or balanced?

-Kaddy

I hsyrface. I put the fps to 30 and took of all the eye candy and custom clothes. alos I have the thing set to balanced. It still snaps off right away... I'm taking it in to see whats up :(ave a cooler under it and also use it on a lap desk so it's on a hard flat

One other thing that might be worth mentioning, even with newly purchased LAPTOPS (ha!) is to ensure your lappy has the most up to date BIOS from the manufacturers website. I purchased my dell and still had to download a more up to date Bios from their site within a week of getting it. The Bios determines the "omg i am too hotz and am shutting down" temperature for a laptop, and anyone with a 1525 dell will probably have found out by now that it was originally released with a lower Bios than could cope with games like EL, so a new Bios was put on Dells service/help site with a slightly higher value to the shutdown erm...thingy..wotsit.

look, if you want the techy words, talk to dell, i just did wot they said ok?? :icon13:

hope that helps..somehow..

You might just need to take it somewhat apart and thoroughly clean it out. As Ateh mentioned, make sure to keep fans still if you spray them with compressed air.

I have to do that with my laptops and computers kind of frequently since I have several shedding pets, including a Husky that I think sheds his own weight in fur on a weekly basis.

You might just need to take it somewhat apart and thoroughly clean it out. As Ateh mentioned, make sure to keep fans still if you spray them with compressed air.

I have to do that with my laptops and computers kind of frequently since I have several shedding pets, including a Husky that I think sheds his own weight in fur on a weekly basis.

Warning! Taking your laptop apart is not a small task. Putting it back together may be much harder. If you are not comfortable taking apart your desktop computer, you shouldn't try taking apart a laptop. A repair place will charge you $30-50 for what may sound like a simple task like this, but if you are not good at tracking 30 screws and where they belong (make a video recording maybe?) then it would be better to have someone else do it.

I think the laptop makers design them to be a pain in the butt to work on.

I think the laptop makers design them to be a pain in the butt to work on.

Ya, many do intentionally.

I've on some occasions had to spend far too long finding little hidden clips and screws and shit to get notebooks apart >.>

...and yeah, not something a person should attempt if they're not already confident and capable with pulling apart electronic devices.

Edited by Korrode

You can probably consider buying a notebook cooler ... i've got the temperature of my notebook down by 25^C after buying one.

Just read some reviews before buying it :whistle:

lol Aisy... all dictionaries I just checked have one the definitions for "notebook" being a portable computer or similar. I don't deny they were originally called "laptops", but the inventors of the x86 microprocessor (the architecture you're all using right now as you read this (even Macs, nowadays)), the people who set internationally recognized and near universally complied to computing standards encourage usage of the term "notebook" rather than "laptop". The premise was even taken further when they coined the term "netbook" to describe the new generation of subnotebooks, rather than something like "palmtop" :P

They're not meant to sit on your lap... why you'd want to push for continued usage of a misleading and potentially damaging term i'll never know >.>

Now I must leave my desktop and goto bed, and no, i don't mean the flat wooden board atop the legs of my desk. :>

Edited by Korrode

The fact a laptop or notebook is small and portable is enough justification for some people to put it on their lap or their sofa or the rug on the floor next to them. None of those situations are ideal for it obviously, and I am sure because it's called a "laptop" is not why people put it in silly places in addition to their laps for extended periods of time.

I have a 3 laptops, I have a pc or desktop, and I have a netbook. I will bring my netbook and laptops wherever my intelligence level deems appropriate for them. I do call it a laptop but I have yet to put it on my lap. Silly thing to do. Duh. My old dell laptop sat on a muffin tin for airflow, and now I have a fancy cooler underneath my Sager which sits on my desk.

Calling it a laptop does not mean I am a dimwit who doesn't give it airflow. :P (Thanks but I don't need Intel to enlighten me.)

It's a matter of what you are used to. I started with it being a laptop and it will stay a laptop in my mind.

I started with my "desktop" being a pc, so it will stay a pc.

My netbook is a netbook, pretty soon you will yell at me it's a "mini" ?

(And most of my life a notebook has been 2 covers with paper inside. Neither you or Intel are going to disrupt that many years of thinking at this late date :P )

I am sure because it's called a "laptop" is not why people put it in silly places in addition to their laps for extended periods of time.

Oh i'd strongly disagree.

I can easily imagine the masses stating in defence of their red thighs, low sperm count or fried portable computer that "of course I thought i could put it atop my lap, it's called a lap-top right?!!?`/`/1". :P

I am sure because it's called a "laptop" is not why people put it in silly places in addition to their laps for extended periods of time.

Oh i'd strongly disagree.

I can easily imagine the masses stating in defence of their red thighs, low sperm count or fried portable computer that "of course I thought i could put it atop my lap, it's called a lap-top right?!!?`/`/1". :P

Thats what lapdesks are for. To help with the problems of using a laptop.

get a fan for your laptop or note book peg dont get a cheap one knock the fps down to 30 my old laptop or notebook what ever you want to call it. kept turning off game does run hard and hot dont buy a cheap one at walmart go to bestbuy were u got your lappy or note book. tell them what its doing pm me in game ill tell u how to turn the frames down its easy. :)

When my 'notebook' overheated I called dell and they send over a women to get the dust out :) Temperature went from 100C to like 65C .. If you have your lappy for some time, try opening it up and cleaning the heat exchanger from dust buildups.

When I play EL on my notebook (although it's not just a rubbish little thing), I find that my characters will keep stopping while they walk somewhere and gameplay keeps suffering delays, if this normal for on a notebook? I used to play on my PC but I had to downgrade my graphics card when the other one blew up and haven't got a newer one yet so can only play EL on my laptop/notebook/portable computer.

I don't think I use my notebook enough as it hasn't overheated in the year I've had it.