Eternal Lands Official Forums
The_Piper

New cape to protect you from invaded critters

The suggestion was good, but you stated it in a way like "i hate every fighter" threat.

In other hand, with this cape, the complains of getting killed by invasion at logging should stop.

In other hand, with this cape, the complains of getting killed by invasion at logging should stop.

Logoff at an indoor storage, on IP or naked with empty inventory - These are guaranteed to be invasion free and protect you against acid rain!

Don't make a cape to coverup for people being lazy.

If you are over the cap - then you risk being banned for being in the map over max level. AFAIK thais is not officially approved
I know this is off topic, but isn't only fighting monsters on such map considered as not allowed ?

Just to clear up a point.

I was/am over yesterdays pl invasion cap.

I did a help_me to ask if I could enter pl to complete the harvesting quest only.

I was was told no...not allowed.

Not complaing just trying to clear up a point.

the_grud

And what if I login onto a invaded map below my a/d? Is that a bannable offence as well?

Seriously, we need an official statement upon this issue. And I'd like an explanation of why I cannot enter map below my a/d, if I go clearly naked, with only pickaxe and harvesting cape and clearly about my own business, taking no care about invaded mobs, thanks...

Sounds good, but will makes easy to trick on invasions using the cape: like avoiding big monsters near map entry zone and fight from a better place (like free walk for archering to the hills in Bethel).

Also for summoners/magician helpers which they can switch cape.

Invasions will some fun using this cape (as invisibility is possible but ignored by some monsters).

Maybe a potion with very big cooldown could do the same?

And what if I login onto a invaded map below my a/d? Is that a bannable offence as well?

Seriously, we need an official statement upon this issue. And I'd like an explanation of why I cannot enter map below my a/d, if I go clearly naked, with only pickaxe and harvesting cape and clearly about my own business, taking no care about invaded mobs, thanks...

Aislinn already made it clear in this topic.

Check [this reply]

Check [this reply]

Not really - as the_grud was told exactly the opposite in response to a help_me.

Check [this reply]

Not really - as the_grud was told exactly the opposite in response to a help_me.

Yes really, my post is a quote (a tad more nicely worded) from radu himself, hence my statement that it was the "official position" on the issue. I don't throw that phrase around often or lightly. :(

[PM to radu: you need to address whether it's ok to be in an invasion map for other purposes like harvesting]

[PM to radu: and those blasted quests]

[PM from radu: if you can be there without being attacked by the monsters, and without killing shit and getting DBs.. then I don't have an issue]

As always, use your brain. Obviously if there is an invasion on say Naralik which is a tiny map, you aren't going to make it without getting attacked. So no, don't go there. On the other hand, a large and complicated map might afford the ability to harvest in one corner nicely while the invasion is up in another corner. Don't wander into invasion maps and afk mapwalk either.

There is no exact "yes" or "no" to this. Seriously, it's not rocket science.

If you make an honest attempt to avoid the invasion and fail, if you were not geared up to fight, and seriously had a chance to get by without messing things up, you won't get banned because we can see the difference between intelligent thought behind the attempt and outright lies and total lack of thought.

You may however end up tossed onto IP if you are seen to be interfering intentionally or not. That is part of the risk you take as well.

To sum up: It's pretty simple: either use your head or if enough people abuse this, it will be a flat out "No, you cannot go into any invasion map for any reason if you are over the cap. If you do, instant ban." Right now it's at the "use your head" status.

To sum up: It's pretty simple: either use your head or if enough people abuse this, it will be a flat out "No, you cannot go into any invasion map for any reason if you are over the cap. If you do, instant ban." Right now it's at the "use your head" status.

Thanks for the answer, I was not certain, if it's a gray zone or already beyond it and 100% bannable...

As an added bonus to this cape idea, I could wear it and monitor an invasion for an RP Hack N Slash... And see how the players are doing.

My comment:

Item of Devil! I can already see bunch of newbie running around in this cape and hoping to bag jump what they can. Invasion is suppose to be dangerous, with this cape you will destroy whole idea of it.

Not sure if anyone else has said something like this, here's my comment:

I kinda like the fact that invasions put a damper on things sometimes. As a newbie, I liked the idea that I was dependent on other brave more experienced players to protect newer players or clear maps that I needed to use.

I think it makes things more realistic. Just like having special days like peace day and acid rain day. It just adds to the game. If I could get "cape of leave me alone..." or "cape of bowl full of cherries" and always do whatever I want without having any inconveniences, I personally think it takes the challenge (fun) away.

Ok..just to clear this at the outset, despite the fact I am using littlebro2's post as my quote, this ISNT directed at littlebro2, I am just using it to highlight my thoughts on this suggestion overall.

Not sure if anyone else has said something like this,

Actually, you don't appear to be alone here, it appears the majority of posters in this thread have either not read previous posts by people in it, OR have not actually read the original suggestion by piper. That's why some of them haven't noticed his "restricted to equip/unequip on IP only" clause.

here's my comment:

I kinda like the fact that invasions put a damper on things sometimes. As a newbie, I liked the idea that I was dependent on other brave more experienced players to protect newer players or clear maps that I needed to use.

A good viewpoint that needs to be taken into account from a newbie player here. Wait...emphasis on the word NEEDS. If a player isn't up to the task of clearing an invasion map it absolutely IS the responsibility of those who can, to do so.

I am sure we don't need another reminder of WHY it is only a rat that is now pulled out from Dung? ;)

I think it makes things more realistic. Just like having special days like peace day and acid rain day. It just adds to the game. If I could get "cape of leave me alone..." or "cape of bowl full of cherries" and always do whatever I want without having any inconveniences, I personally think it takes the challenge (fun) away.

This is also an important point. We play for the challenge of the game, take that away and we're just another networking site but with better graphics, and "something to click on" between chatting.

Absolutely spot on with the "makes things more realistic" there. It's been pointed out already about invasions from an RP perspective, as well as comparisons to RL warzones etc.

Now..apart from those points, I do believe piper was right to post this idea up, I can see his (and other peoples) need to be left alone by invasion monsters, but sadly I'd have to consider that, even if the cape was created with all the heavy restrictions to prevent abuse as Raz has pointed out AND only un/equipable on IP, there would simply be too much problems to try to work out in just implementing it so it works correctly to make it a viable option ingame.

For instance...how do you separate invasion drop bags from normal ones? If you're in an invasion map(PV) killing hawks on a daily haidir quest, then the drop bags containing your feathers could not be collected without some way of determining a difference in bags. But then..if you have the cape on, you couldnt attack the normal hawks anyways because of the restrictions....already this runs into the realms of programming nightmare, since at present the game isnt set to recognise differences or place restrictions on fighting certains monster Types.

At least, not to my limited knowledge, it isnt. Even with that aside, there's also making sure the cape couldnt be used by a ranger, since direct fighting isnt involved in ranging (otherwise rangers would be able to use gatherer meds on kills). How would that be implemented? Summons...magic....so much would need to be written in terms of coding just to make the cape work as required, I just don't think the cape itself is worth the effort of all that coding just for the effect it produces, when it's far simpler to expect a player to stay away from the invaded map.

And that is the main reason I'd have to say I disagree with the suggestion, despite approving of its original intent. Even if all the possible ways to abuse this cape could somehow be covered and stopped, it's clearly too big and time consuming as an implementation for very little end result in terms of gameplay that a tp spell and simply waiting couldnt resolve.

Sorry pip. I just don't see this happening.