Eternal Lands Official Forums
Amaara

Remove the + from Channel

It's too easy to send a message to the wrong channel because of how the + is used to determine the player's default channel.

Many messages sent to the wrong channel would be avoided if the players manually set the default channel with a command such as, #set default channel guild" and the + were removed from the channel header listings.

Say you're in channel 1, 2, 3.

Your default channel is 1.

Click 2. Click view all.

Your default channel is now 2.

Click 3. Click view all.

Your default channel is now 3.

Say you're in channel 1, 2, 3.

Your default channel is 1.

Click 2. Click view all.

Your default channel is now 2.

Click 3. Click view all.

Your default channel is now 3.

This I've done! When going back through history, I've clicked view all and it changed the default without my realizing it. What I'm saying is when you #jc channel - you can't #jc channel default so that it won't flip through the other channels :icon13:((((((

You wish to be able to disable the "#jc channel" that happens behind the scene when you click the tab? Interesting.

I have also accidentally sent to the wrong channel after viewing the filtered view for a specific channel. I also have forgotten to click the "view-all" tab afterwards. It is basic human error.

Of course, if someone was to make a change here, it would surely have to be a configuration option.

Another option would be to have the tab name of the current channel blink a few times when you start typing a a line that starts with a single @. I must say I would prefer this way. It could blink that name until the message is sent.

most of us are very happy, to have the '+' sign at all!

The introduction of that indicator (!) solved all real problems with mischannels, that are not due to ppl not opening their eyes (which cant be solved technically....

just get used to the interface more to judge it.

regards

The introduction of that indicator (!) solved all real problems with mischannels, that are not due to ppl not opening their eyes (which cant be solved technically....

regards

As someone with poor eyesight it is sometimes difficult to see the '+' and I did not even notice it until it was pointed out to me. It is not like there is a tutorial dealing with channels.

regards

As someone with poor eyesight it is sometimes difficult to see the '+' and I did not even notice it until it was pointed out to me. It is not like there is a tutorial dealing with channels.

Default channel shows up in white, while others are gray. When in doubt use #jc 6 to make it default or type #ci to see which one is default. A tutorial wont help (much), since people don't read. The information on how to use channels is typically handed out in ch 1, which every new player joins automatically. The tutorial explains how to post in ch 3, and most of the other info is in the ingame help. Easiest way to avoid mischannels is to use @@ and only use @ if you are sure you are in the right channel.

We could also auto-expand "@" to "@@3" or whatever when the 2nd character is not a @.

Nope - then you could not post to active channel anything beginning with a number...

regards

Default channel shows up in white, while others are gray. When in doubt use #jc 6 to make it default or type #ci to see which one is default. A tutorial wont help (much), since people don't read. The information on how to use channels is typically handed out in ch 1, which every new player joins automatically. The tutorial explains how to post in ch 3, and most of the other info is in the ingame help. Easiest way to avoid mischannels is to use @@ and only use @ if you are sure you are in the right channel.

Maybe I can not different colors or maybe it is machine/OS/video card dependent but I did screen capture and did bit-wise comparisons; borders are identical color to each other for boxes on Market Channel and Invasions (default) Channel. Inside they are all shades of black but not identical even each box and it is same with colors. Channels and Historey are in a blue, View All in green and rest in a brown. I use Windows XP since I can buy new machine and no matter what version of LINUX I try none will load on my other old boxes (that is odd to me since I always found LINUX to be MORE tolerant of hardware before).

Have most of my aliases for market channel hard coded with @@3 so not as much as a problem now except for price checks but other new players may have an issue.

The + is just an indicator, that SHOWS what is the current channel. It doesn't SET it. So why remove an indicator that obviously a lot of people use. Why not instead use one of the many methods mentioned here to set and check your active channel.

I am not sure why you don't have a different color for the active channel, but I use tabbed chat (options - chat), which might make a difference.

I didn't suggest removing it just said hard to see for some.

Inverting the colors on active channel I think would help those with poor eyesight to recognize.

Inverting the colours of the active channel could be done but is slightly complicated by the way selected channels have their colour set. How about a simple underline of the button? The underline would appear only when the first input character is @ and the second not @. I have a working patch that does this using a moving dotted line. Moving to catch the eye a little but not as much as a flashing line would.

That would improve visibility in my opinion.

I came back to this a few hours later and found the moving line annoying so I've committed the change with just the dotted underline. A solid line appears to blend in with the button border but the dotted line stands out more. It's a minor change so can be removed or modified as needed.

Edited by bluap