Eternal Lands Official Forums
nathanstenzel

Linux on ARM-Cortex-A8

The nokia N900 and a few other phones have a linux kernel. This does not include the iPhone to my knowledge, but I just had to wonder about Eternal Lands on products with the ARM-Cortex-A8 (and perhaps capable of Linux).

The Nokia N900 allows you to install packages from the ARM Debian repository. Anyone know if we have EL in the ARM Debian repository or would be willing to compile for ARM Debian? I have considered testing this out on the Nokia N900, but it is an expensive $520 purchase for the unlocked phone. It has a rather strong hardware setup, so it probably would be able to handle EL at its measily 800x480 resolution. For this though, we might as well have a low resolution set of textures on hand as part of the continuing EL version control. There is an article in the May 2010 issue 193 Linux Journal page 46-49 about the Linux hungry phone/web-tablet.

The current EL client barely runs on some notebooks. Phones, netbooks, etc currently don't have the horse power to run it even if it was ported to them. IT would have to be a much simpler version of the client written for systems that low end.

Wasnt there once a java EL client for mobile phones?

Something DNS (a former mod) made?

Piper

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...712&hl=java

Dead link.

Did I mention this Nokia N900 was powerful enough to run Quake Arena? If it can handle that, I don't see why it couldn't handle the old low resolution textures of EL.

Ok my fault, that's what I get for posting right before bed.

I replaced that link with 2 different ones that should work.

The thread I originally posted actually had a couple downloads (his client-a jelc.jar download and a "Java SE Downloads - Previous Release - J2SE 5.0" download) but they were from 2005 so I have no idea if they even still work or if everything is hopelessly outdated now anyway.

Did I mention this Nokia N900 was powerful enough to run Quake Arena? If it can handle that, I don't see why it couldn't handle the old low resolution textures of EL.

The EL Client is significantly heavier than Quake 3 Arena.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.