Eternal Lands Official Forums
thgilsrooc

Updated: Kubuntu 10.04 LTS

I just updated my distro to the newest incarnation and I'm having severe graphical lag on the client side. Everything else I run that utilizes gl is smooth as usual. Any settings I should be aware of? I even tried poor man (even though this is a powerful system), and still laggy. I'd like to avoid removal and reinstallation. Let me know what information I should provide to assist in troubleshooting. Thanks.

When you launch EL, is there any messages as to anything missing/etc?

And generally a good idea to provide system specs, any error logs if one, and possibly the (pertinent) current configuration you have EL running with. (UVP 1 or 0 and the like)

Distro: Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS Kubuntu (upgraded from Karmic last night)

MOBO: ASUS P5Q

CPU: Intel Q8300 Core 2 Quad

Mem: 6gb

Video: GeForce GTX 260 896mb DDR3

INI file

Error Log

No errors were noticed other than missing ATI plugin but that's expected. I have no idea what to look for otherwise. I was getting >120fps under normal conditions before the OS update. Now it's around 50 and it's choppy video. It's definitely not 50fps despite what it says. If I lower my camera angle to see the area around my character, it drops to 0-2 fps. And it'll freeze too. The game is basically unplayable at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by thgilsrooc

I've backed up my home directory in the event I decide to install 10.04 fresh. Anyway, I also removed the video driver, rebooted, reinstalled it, rebooted... Still having a severe lag issue.

Edited by thgilsrooc

Have you tried any of the other Nvidia drivers available in Lucid. Do you have compiz enabled and if so, does it help if you disable it?

No compiz wasn't installed. Just kde4. Well, I decided to reinstall 10.04 fresh and, voila, back to normal. Only one nvidia driver works for my card, as the older drivers don't have support for the new 260 chipset. At least that is what i'm told. The fresh install really solved all the issues. So, that's my fix.

Have you tried any of the other Nvidia drivers available in Lucid. Do you have compiz enabled and if so, does it help if you disable it?
Edited by thgilsrooc

Have you solved the problem ?

I just upgraded and the performance went down quite lot ;/

I use mesa drivers for my old Mobility Radeon X600 graphics card (there are no proprietary drivers compatible with 10.4 for this model ;/ )

I had tried upgrading from 8.1 to 10.04. I have an ATI radeon Xpress 200M card that is older. My performance was terrible and the game would crash. I had to go back to 8.1 then EL was playable again. It seems the KMS in 10.04 isn't ready for prime time unless you have the latest and greatest card? It's too bad I liked everything else about 10.04 (except the close window button on the left)

--blar32

I was able to get back the performance in Ubuntu 10.04 \o/ :pickaxe:

(at least to the same like it was in 9.04)

create file /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf and write this line into it:

options radeon modeset=0

and reboot

(this worked for my old ATI Mobility Radeon X600 card, i have now the same FPS like on 9.04)

I hope it helps someone :o

Edited by groomsh

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.