Eternal Lands Official Forums
vinoveritas

Daily quest suggestion

Sorry to reply to such an old thread, but thought maybe a newbie's thoughts would help change things.

Xaquelina doesn't look at levels at all. As a newbie I was asked for 40 cactus needles which of course I couldn't carry. I have also been sent to maps that I couldn't really handle and died, got lucky for 1 quest to MM because peace day occurred and I could actually go without dying for a change!

You are wrong.

What do you mean I'm wrong?

I'll be one of the first to admit that Entropy isn't known for posts with detailed explanations or support for his statements. He's terse, period. But I think it's safe to assume that he is talking about your assertion that "Xaquelina doesn't look at levels at all." The fact that you may not be given something to harvest that is above your level does not also imply (for example) you can carry it or that you'll be safe on the map. In fact there's one daily that sends you to a PK map, so that's clearly not safe for anyone.

Not every quest (daily or one-time) is intended to be able to be completed by everyone. Some are simply to hard until your character has advanced more. If you can't complete a quest (even with help as in the case of a map with monsters) then you will have to save it until you are more prepared. It provides incentive to play the game and advance your character as well as accomplishment when you can complete something that previously you couldn't.

I'll be one of the first to admit that Entropy isn't known for posts with detailed explanations or support for his statements. He's terse, period. But I think it's safe to assume that he is talking about your assertion that "Xaquelina doesn't look at levels at all." The fact that you may not be given something to harvest that is above your level does not also imply (for example) you can carry it or that you'll be safe on the map. In fact there's one daily that sends you to a PK map, so that's clearly not safe for anyone.

Not every quest (daily or one-time) is intended to be able to be completed by everyone. Some are simply to hard until your character has advanced more. If you can't complete a quest (even with help as in the case of a map with monsters) then you will have to save it until you are more prepared. It provides incentive to play the game and advance your character as well as accomplishment when you can complete something that previously you couldn't.

This is why there should be an OPT OUT option! And I would think that a "daily" quest may be challenging enough but not so difficult that you couldn't obtain the skills in order to finish it in 24 (real life) hours.

This is why there should be an OPT OUT option! And I would think that a "daily" quest may be challenging enough but not so difficult that you couldn't obtain the skills in order to finish it in 24 (real life) hours.

No

An opt out option would mean no one would do the quests that people don't think are worth there time, for example rats in dp, they will just wait for the ones that give very good xp, example Ida Lions.

No

An opt out option would mean no one would do the quests that people don't think are worth there time, for example rats in dp, they will just wait for the ones that give very good xp, example Ida Lions.

What about an opt out for 5,000 gc and 12 days waiting period instead of 4? That could keep people from abusing it IMO...

Oh yes, of course, make the penalty high enough that a newbie couldn't afford it!

I, for one, certainly don't mind doing the rats in DP - at least it's a fast quest. But the boars quest with the low spawn and high number of people hunting either needs to be adjusted (increased spawn rate) or changed to lower than 30 boars!

As for Xaquelina, how is someone who less than a/d 10/10 carry 40 cactus or has less than a/d 20/20 supposed to do MM? What newbie could afford a MM cloak? Come on people get real and take a look at it from a new person's perspective.

Detta makes good points.

Just let people opt out of the quest and have a 1 day waiting period.

So what if people opt out of the DP rats quest? who cares.

If someone feels a quest isn't worth their time, why force them to do it anyway? what exactly does that achieve?

Not everything has to have all kinds of nasty penalties. It's a game, it's meant to be fun.

At the risk of pissing someone off, I have to agree with detta about harvesting the cactus.

My alt was given that quest and I could only carry 39 cacti because, although my overall EMU was high enough, the 2 EMU taken up by the leather gloves required for harvesting prevented me from carrying the 40th cactus.

To solve this I spent some pp (which I happened to have) for more EMU. Alternatively, I could have dropped 1 cactus, harvested 1 more, then dropped my gloves to pick up the cactus I had dropped.

Granted the reward gc would make up for losing the gloves, but what newbie is going to just throw away a perfectly good pair gloves and why would that be expected of them?

Well I just got the boars quest from Haidir again - so I guess I'm done doing the daily quests cause that one is just too aggravating with people yelling that you "took" their boar, and I'm not spending the hours it takes to do it! :)

Well I just got the boars quest from Haidir again - so I guess I'm done doing the daily quests cause that one is just too aggravating with people yelling that you "took" their boar, and I'm not spending the hours it takes to do it! :)

There are 3 spawns of boars at portland, and if all are taken u can wait until they are done, no biggy issue to complain.

About the topic i agree there should be a way to abort the mission with an 72h and more penalti , also it would be cool if after some quests (example 30 daily) u get a bonus quest so basically all would try to do all their daily without aborting them

About the topic i agree there should be a way to abort the mission with an 72h and more penalti , also it would be cool if after some quests (example 30 daily) u get a bonus quest so basically all would try to do all their daily without aborting them

Ooooh, I like your idea :) The 30-day bonus could be something as small as 30 feasting potions (everybody loves those!), then a 90-day bonus of like 100 feasting potions.

Can you tell I'm addicted to those? :)

Since it is an a/d daily quest, perhaps have the "bonus" be more towards the a/d theme. Perhaps more a/d exp, or a random small sword, with a chance of something larger like tit long.

at the current situation, aborting some dailies would be a solution, but i think there are better ones.

For example:

- the EMU-problem could be solved if Xaquelina also looks at the bag you stand on (in addition to your inv) when she takes the harvestables - should be not too hard to program.

i'm against aborting quests like skunks or boars, if they are too tedious for some ppl, thats not what we need. Its not necessary to complete all dailies within a day, if you have a hard time, just kill a boar now and then until you are complete.....

regards

It's more than just the EMU problem with Xaquelina and getting assigned it by the Tutorial NPC. The only thing Tutorial tells you is to store everything cause there's a goblin named Bob. You've only been told to increase P/C to 6/6! Besides it doesn't warn you about having a certain A/D level (for monster to ignore you) and what newbie is going to know stuff like this?

To prove my point, I started a brand new character to see stats when Xaquenlina is assigned. Take a look:

ex.png

Overall is only level 15, and A/D is only 10/10. How can a newbie possibly survive unless he/she gets really lucky and does not to run into Bob?

If there were not a problem with PL's low spawn of boars, large amount required to finish quest, and large numbers of players hunting there, I wouldn't have said anything about it. But when players start yelling at others that you've taken "their" boar for Haidir's quest, someone needs to look at what's going on. This tells me there is a problem! I'm not in the game to argue with other players, I'm in the game to enjoy myself!

same is at WS at nights for a newbie with gargoyles? Maybe he should stay at IP until lvl 26 def?

I try to understand what u want to say :)

Portland has a gob and newbie might die to go to Xaquelina? if he goes to WS doesnt he have same problem with gargoyles at night?

I think PL spawns are more than enough since there are other quests of Haidir that u dont have a choice and u have to wait (see orcs at TD)

Ooooh, I like your idea smile.gif The 30-day bonus could be something as small as 30 feasting potions (everybody loves those!), then a 90-day bonus of like 100 feasting potions.

Can you tell I'm addicted to those? smile.gif

there are daily quests at other games that do give awards for continues daily quests , they make sure players log every day :icon13:

Well since we cannot opt out of a quest, I'm not going to play EL anymore. I spent 3 days trying to complete the hawk assignment for Haidir to no avail. I ended up so frustrated that I started being obnoxious to a total stranger!

This is supposed to be only a game and an enjoyable one. Three IRL days trying to complete something and not being able to opt out is ridiculous - so goodbye to all I've met playing EL!

Could it possibly be that I have no interest or desire to learn ranging skills? Of course, what players feel about game development doesn't matter at all. Thus the decision I reached.

To quote an old Radu article:

While the players usually play the game more than we do, most of them only care for their best interest. It is up to an objective 3rd-party to carefully examine the implications of any game system modification. That 3rd party is us, the developers, who unlike what some players think, want only the best for the game. It takes someone with a global vision of the entire project to decide what would make the game better for everyone.

As Raytray said, there's other stuff to do.

Just boycott the daily quests until a reasonable opt-out system is in place (if ever), that's what i'm doing. :icon13:

I don't get it.

Quests are supposed to be a challenge. Get somebody to help you or figure out a way to sneak in around the critters or pkers. Quests aren't supposed to be an easy 1 2 3 bring the easy item to the easy npc and get your mega experience with no reading, no adrenalin rush, no time or effort involved.

How long were people complaining that the god quests were nothing more than easy shopping lists to bring to the npc? Now we have more quests which bring variety, randomness, and difficulties to overcome (which IS supposed to be the nature of a quest, correct?) and people are complaining and quitting?! Are you kidding me?

I remember when I was a newbie there were several different quests that required help in addition to the other ones. One required you run across a pk map. Another required you find something on the wall in the gold cave surrounded by goblins. Newbies didn't complain! They got help! It was FUN! It was a challenge! There was that excitement and fear even if it was only just pixels to make it through and complete it! We had no mm cape until we could get to level 20 potions. We were forced into earning THAT, not just buying it or getting it as a gift...you couldn't wear it until you had the levels. (Each cape had a different skill level attached to it). So we were forced into doing things the "hard way". And you know what? It was a heck of a lot more fun.

Could it possibly be that I have no interest or desire to learn ranging skills?

Perhaps you should train attack and defense until you are able to take on the hawks in this case. Haidir is merely a supplemental training method, not a substitute.

I have suggested in the past that their should be an npc to warn the newbs at WS dock that WS is not safe at night.

Well since we cannot opt out of a quest, I'm not going to play EL anymore. I spent 3 days trying to complete the hawk assignment for Haidir to no avail. I ended up so frustrated that I started being obnoxious to a total stranger!

You have options:

-range them

-do mirror vs mirror

-summon mobs for low their HP

-use damage rings

-get a friend to help you

-train a/d

-just dont do Haidir's quests

There isnt need to the drama show, it only sounds like a whim.