Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

Linux test client

Only post Linux client bugs here, all data bugs(including maps, etc..) need to go in the 1.9.0 RC Test Thread

Please can people test the Linux client for release candidate 2. If you are using Debian (32-bit only) or Ubuntu (any) then you can use the eternallands-rc package from the standard places. These packages provide the client and data so nothing more is needed.

For other distros or if you don't want to use the packages and still want a pre-made binary, I have two clients to test. These should work on a range of Linux distros. First, you will need to download and unzip the data from here http://www.eternal-lands.com/el_190_rc2.zip. Make sure your "#data_dir" in the el.ini file points to the place you unzip the data. Then download the test client separately.

The 32-bit client can be downloaded, made executable and run like this:

wget http://twinmoons.org.uk/el/el.x86.linux.bin.32.static.190rc2
chmod +x el.x86.linux.bin.32.static.190rc2
./el.x86.linux.bin.32.static.190rc2

The 64-bit client can be downloaded, made executable and run like this:

wget http://twinmoons.org.uk/el/el.x86_64.linux.bin.64.static.190rc2
chmod +x el.x86_64.linux.bin.64.static.190rc2
./el.x86_64.linux.bin.64.static.190rc2

Please report success/failure to running these client version here. Report any map/graphics issues in the general RC2 thread.

The 64-bit client can be downloaded, made executable and run like this:

Client has started up and i've logged in, so far all fine. I'll continue playing on it as normal to test. :)

Distro: Debian Testing (Squeeze),

Edited by Korrode

Runs on Puppy Linux 4.3.1 full install. (32-bit client)

(better than the old client did interestingly enough)

One thing I noticed, the port is listed in the el.ini as 2001, that needs to be edited as well to 2000. Oops nevermind, forgot this doesn't matter anymore. :)

I've been running RC 2 for a few days now on this Linux machine. Installs and loads fine. Looks beautiful with the new textures. I do however, seem to have lower fps from the December CVS version. Looking at the sky seems to make it worse.

Will continue to test.

I've been running RC 2 for a few days now on this Linux machine. Installs and loads fine. Looks beautiful with the new textures. I do however, seem to have lower fps from the December CVS version. Looking at the sky seems to make it worse.

Will continue to test.

The textures are bigger, so older video cards, but especially Intels with no video memory will have a harder time displaying them. Lowering the maximum viewing distance to around 80 helps a lot. You can still play the game fine with a distance of ~40.

The 32-bit client can be downloaded, made executable and run like this:

Just tested on Arch Linux.

Client started up fine, i walked from votd to IP, killed a brownie, did all the emotes... all was fine... i'll try and sit out at that system and test more later.

I used the second static binary (because I like 64bit).

TG magic school inside has black pillars and walls. Who turned out the lights?

You can also walk on and off of the sides of the IP boat and basically fall in the water.

My datadir is set to ./ and that has always worked for me for having the data directory used be the one that is in the directory of the client I am running.

Someone else test this out and see if they have the same problems, please.

Oh wait......that was on the live server. lol sorry about that.

Anyways, Fedora Linux here. 2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.x86_64

Edited by nathanstenzel

Not sure if you want map bugs posted here or in another thread but I noticed this issues with the windows inside WS castle in the main foyer. Here is the screenshot.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/uploads...595_60_7403.jpg

Roja, if you have a preferred place to post these kind of things let me know and I'll post there instead.

RC 2

debian stable, testing and unstable, both 32- (from debs) and 64-bit (static build), start up and (after really brief testing) seem to work nicely. as far as debian unstable 32-bit flavour goes, I've been using RC1 and RC2 on that platform for days now as my only client: no show-stoppers encountered so far.

Show shadows on

Show reflections on

Shadow mapping off

This results in no shadows or reflections. It seems like this might not be the desired results.

Showing reflections cuts my frame rates from 20-24 to 9-12.

OpenGL Version: 3.2.0 NVIDIA 190.53

It will probably do for now, but if this could be looked into, it might help people be able to continue to play the game.

Edited by nathanstenzel

The shadows need shadow mapping.

But it turned off the reflections too. I was wondering if that was intended.

Works fine on gentoo 32-bit (self compiled), pre-compiled needed a different version of glibc. Will test on 64 bit tonight.

64 bit pre-compiled also seems to work fine so far, also on gentoo.

Edited by funroll

I installed the development release through Synaptic in Ubuntu Hardy Heron. It automatically removed the release packages. Everything seems to be working fine. My counters are intact.

I've produce new static binaries for Linux, built from the release CVS code (including today's change):

32-bit version:

wget http://twinmoons.org.uk/el/190/el.x86.linux.bin
chmod +x ./el.x86.linux.bin
./el.x86.linux.bin

64-bit version:

wget http://twinmoons.org.uk/el/190/el.x86_64.linux.bin
chmod +x ./el.x86_64.linux.bin
./el.x86_64.linux.bin

I've updated these binaries with the the change to fix a minor issue with the 3d marks. The names and download instructions are the same.