Eternal Lands Official Forums
Aislinn

IRC support/chat channel for EL?

A couple questions for you all:

1. Do any of you here use IRC?

2. If so, what server?

3. Would anybody be interested (active players only, not bored trolls) in an Eternal Lands technical support/general chat channel?

Currently there is one running on the freenode server #eternallands mostly dealing with linux help but it seems not too many people know about it. It would be great if people who enjoy helping with this sort of thing (linux, windows, mac, anything) would come visit and maybe hang around and spread the word. I just found it today because I was thinking about revisiting the irc channel topic (yes the same one that pops up every few years).

If most people don't use freenode, what server are you all on? Again, bored trolls need not apply. It would work best of course if we could settle on ONE server, ONE channel if there is indeed enough interest.

I use irc (mainly software support servers like irc.mozilla.org and irc.freenode.org).

I recommend freenode. But make sure to talk to their staff after registering #eternallands so as to verify that official eternallands administrators have registered the channel. It will avoid getting the channel unregistered later.

I can look for other options if freenode is not good.

Edit:..

Please check irc.oftc.net according to www.oftc.net, this makes a good choice too.

Edited by hussam

I have not used IRC for a while, but I think the game could make use of that. It would be especially useful if the game's webpage actually mentioned it. I did not know until you made this post that EL even had an IRC channel.

I imagine the reason why the IRC forum is not mentioned is because it is unofficial and doesn't always have someone there to answer questions. Am I right?

At any rate, if we could support multiple chat systems, it would be cool. There is even discussion of an EL chat program. If we could have that set up, perhaps we could connect EL to such a page.

Right now #eternallands is already running and registered on freenode, so anybody who wants to join is welcome, and we'll see how that goes. If people post and hate freenode, that can be checked out too.

I have not used IRC for a while, but I think the game could make use of that. It would be especially useful if the game's webpage actually mentioned it. I did not know until you made this post that EL even had an IRC channel.

I imagine the reason why the IRC forum is not mentioned is because it is unofficial and doesn't always have someone there to answer questions. Am I right?

At any rate, if we could support multiple chat systems, it would be cool. There is even discussion of an EL chat program. If we could have that set up, perhaps we could connect EL to such a page.

I just found it today too! And only because I was thinking about making one. It's not official but if something like this is successful, who knows.

/j #eternal-lands

-->

19:58:21 -!- delirium- [delirium@irc.administrator.fi] has joined #eternal-lands

19:58:21 [users #eternal-lands]

19:58:21 [@delirium-]

19:58:21 -!- Irssi: #eternal-lands: Total of 1 nicks [1 ops, 0 halfops, 0 voices, 0 normal]

19:58:21 -!- mode/#eternal-lands [+]

19:58:21 -!- Irssi: Join to #eternal-lands was synced in 1 secs

come and join me :)

(thats in IRCnet )

EDIT:  Irc? What Irc?! Irssi Xchat

-Vis

Edited by Visvate

For people who don't have an irc client but a browser with java plugin installed

try http://java.freenode.net//index.php?channel=eternallands

tried it, it gives me this:

[04:00] Connecting...

[04:00] Logging in...

[04:00] -niven.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...

[04:00] -niven.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident

[04:00] -niven.freenode.net- *** Couldn't look up your hostname

[04:00] -niven.freenode.net- *** No Ident response

For people who don't have an irc client but a browser with java plugin installed

1. Do you have port 6667 blocked?

2. Just changed the #eternallands channel settings to allow unregistered users.

Try again and see what happens.

What would be really cool is IRC interconnectivity from directly within the client.

(eg. a particular channel in the EL server has all messages relayed between the in-game channel and the IRC channel, or some such)

What would be really cool is IRC interconnectivity from directly within the client.

(eg. a particular channel in the EL server has all messages relayed between the in-game channel and the IRC channel, or some such)

Agreed

Something like built in IRC client? Not impossible by far, but I don't think it would be very high priority task for the developers.

4 or 5 years ago there was a bot doing something similar but IRC never got off the ground...too many people were making too many channels on too many servers and nobody could agree on anything. Should be in forums somewhere.

I was thinking about the same thing.

Something like built in IRC client? Not impossible by far, but I don't think it would be very high priority task for the developers.

Actually, someone has already proposed a chat client for EL so you can chat with it from outside of EL. If that was just IRC, it might have some of the issues already solved for it. I wonder if you can get an IRC client on a cellphone.

1. Do you have port 6667 blocked?

2. Just changed the #eternallands channel settings to allow unregistered users.

Try again and see what happens.

nothing blocked, but it seems your settings did the trick :)

was able to log in and chat.

thanx aisy

Actually, someone has already proposed a chat client for EL so you can chat with it from outside of EL. If that was just IRC, it might have some of the issues already solved for it. I wonder if you can get an IRC client on a cellphone.

Sure you can, I even once tried out one, it was rather sucky, but still, proof of concept. That was a while back, all those smartphones have probably full blown clients.

I wonder if you can get an IRC client on a cellphone.

I use this in my E71, works like charm. I set up ZNC bouncer that i can connect from my "regular" shell with irssi and from cell phone, using mirggi. 

-Vis

Edited by Visvate

Currently there is one running on the freenode server #eternalland

:pickaxe:  joined

running irssi in a screen 24/7 and have been actively in freenode for about 2 years (although i must admit i only check the channels for activity once in a while from work)

Hey guys, don't forget we have this IRC channel here for you all!

Perfect for that EL withdrawal problem!

server: freenode

channel: #eternallands