Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Community Armory

heh....perhaps something like pk announcements.

newb_tender@1: Newb littledwarf died to a gargoyle and lost his iron shield.

Of course then, what if they get it back by actually retrieving their bag or someone finding their bag and returning it to them?

Hmmm...I wonder if they would get embarassed and quit if their deaths was announced. Maybe not if it was announced on a special channel that only certain people could join.

Edited by nathanstenzel

Sweet idea! Can I have a titanium serpent sword of therma??

I would be more than happy to help spam channel 1 with information to help noobies. I'm very good at it.

- Ianitor

(wonders if this is in response to Korrode's idea for lower chances of dropping things for lower OA levels)

Just a couple of additional thoughts...

1. Since guild NPCs do NOT have slot limits (like trade bots) and since the stuff we're talking about are non-stackable items, could Ent create a new donation-only guild NPC to collect donations (perhaps on IP)? Then (much like a guild sales bots can) only the individuals selected to manage the program could withdraw items as needed to give to people.

2. The tutorial NPC currently gives out basic gear to newbs who complete it. What if there was a newb-level (that is, not to hard) daily quest that rewarded players with one or more pieces of basic armor (or even a full set like the tutorial NPC)? It's easier than leveling manu or buying the gear, but harder than "free stufz plezz". Just like newb storage, this NPC could have a OA level limit. Yea, alt abuse is possible, but if it's only leather gear (good enough for newbs) there's not a lot to be gained by using 10 alts to get 10 sets per day.

Personally, I like the daily quest idea. It's one more thing for newbs to do, it makes them work (a little bit) for the gear, and it can be fine-tuned in terms of what it gives and how much per day. Also, it doesn't depend on volunteers to donate or manage the program (and we know that after a day/week/month/year lack of donations or volunteers may kill the program).

I like the idea of helping new players, through a found of donated items. I myself give away every now and then new Players things that i think they need, and might most certainly donate things to this found, but i also think there must be a doable challange before they can get to the new things.

I am thinking of npc giving out a quest that only people under a specified oa or Skill level can make, and that compleation will transport you to a room with a char managed by the team of trustable players who then decide what to give that player. If that char in the room would have special abilities as for example the power to look into the storage of the other char in the room (and only that char) it also would prevent abuse of that found

When i see a real newbie struggling i offer advice and teach them about excavator cape, magic (sigals) and fire essence ect, if i feel they need it i do often sort them out with a few aug sets and maybe a few ings for fire essence just to get them into the idea of working for themselves. I used to give free st00f to newbies alot but over time realized it isnt doing them any favours i also started to realize that the same people/person was indeed not only coming back to me on alts but also getting free st00f from other players.

I know from experience this system would be abused and make alot of work for mods and result in alot of bans, banning is something that really bothers me. With this in mind i like pipers idea of them not losing items untill they are a higher level say level 30 OA however they should go to the underworld to get them accustomed to dieing at maybe level 15 OA. At those levels they should have at least mastered the basics.

At present Mods are sort of newbie helpers on channel 1 as well as some players, would it not be a good idea to instead of leaving it to the mods, to create sort of a new level of newbie helpers abit like mods especially aimed at helping newbies find their feet? basicly they could have some sort of command similar to #help so that if a newbie wants help they can get help from (a trained) newbie helper who can take them for a walk to key areas like magic shops, crystal caverns and other usefull newbie areas, this way they can get 1 on 1 help creating a friendly enviroment from the start for them. This could then work in conjunction with the donation idea, example if we had some sort of npc/bot on ip where the donated items are stored the helper could use some command to activate access for maybe 1 set of newbie armour and a few potions and essence upon completion of a task that the helper gave the newbie. Example once that newbie successfully bought increase and health sigals from the magic shop it activates one use of the npc/bot, this way if they do not make the effort they dont get the items and we are not donating to losers. It may actually take some pressure from real mods too (not sure)

Again I copy paste because its easier then tapping it all out again. The idea of helping out noobs is great, but this community armory thing isn't a solution, its a band-aid. It's the whole, build a guy a fire and he is warm for a night, set a guy on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life scenario... wait, no, its fish. Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he eats forever. That's it.

If it was implemented I would donate any spare stuff I might have laying around tho.

Copy/paste from my own post in the daily quest thread because I think this idea will be helpful to new players

Just did my 1st daily. got kane and the rats and 12k att and 16k def. not bad for a few mins critter kicking. next time i get the rats maybe i'll range them

Edit: Just finished my alts first daily. some nice xp again

I'd like to suggest an NPC on IP that gives ultra noob versions of this quest with the animals found on IP untill OA lvl 20 (or something close like that). That way real new players can have the fun and advantage of a few dailys before they have to find thier way out to Haidir in Tirnwood. I think sometimes being such an open ended game can be a little 'scary' for new players at first so it would give true new players small goals while they are learning ALLLLL the stuff that el has to offer. The gc will help get them started off a little better and the xp would help with the novac quest. It might be a good idea to also consider the reward being things like a few vials or a few wine, maybe a M&P. Stuff that is a little tougher for new players to get hold of. Once the player hits the determined OA they are instructed to go find Haidir.

I think its important for new players to learn the game and how they personally have fun in it for themselves rather then finding some guide to whatever skill and following it to the letter. Quests that help them learn while giving goals is a good way to accomplish this. Some of the guides out there are great info, but is it the right way for everyone? Too many players have started and been told the 'best' ways to gain the max xp and gc per hour, then comes the grind and the burn out. Maybe it doesn't happen to all, but it happens a lot. Gnny said it pretty well already

a tutorial system which would more intuitively answer some newbie FAQ's could be nice as well.

Maybe the daily reward could be some of the types of armor noobs lose instead of vials or wine.

EDIT* This just occurred to me, the noob daily quest idea requires no mod attention and hopefully no bannings.

Edited by Nova

2. The tutorial NPC currently gives out basic gear to newbs who complete it. What if there was a newb-level (that is, not to hard) daily quest that rewarded players with one or more pieces of basic armor (or even a full set like the tutorial NPC)? It's easier than leveling manu or buying the gear, but harder than "free stufz plezz". Just like newb storage, this NPC could have a OA level limit. Yea, alt abuse is possible, but if it's only leather gear (good enough for newbs) there's not a lot to be gained by using 10 alts to get 10 sets per day.

Personally, I like the daily quest idea. It's one more thing for newbs to do, it makes them work (a little bit) for the gear, and it can be fine-tuned in terms of what it gives and how much per day. Also, it doesn't depend on volunteers to donate or manage the program (and we know that after a day/week/month/year lack of donations or volunteers may kill the program).

Best idea I read in the thread. The program would indeed crash and burn - pretending it wouldn't is folly. Too bad Radu doesn't like the NPC idea: would be nice if there was an NPC that we could use for the newbie daily quest. Perhaps an NPC that buys low-end gear. Maybe it could be somewhere newbie-friendly, like the White Stone docks area. Too bad such an NPC doesn't exist already....

<CLIP>

So, with that in mind, the only thing i could suggest is to focus on reducing the death penalty for those unlikely to be using a rosto anyway.

Like, the 50% chance of dropping from each slot could reduce 1% per OA from OA 50, back to OA 0.

i.e.

at OA 10 you have 10% chance to drop from each slot

at OA 20 you have 20% chance to drop from each slot

at OA 30 you have 30% chance to drop from each slot

etc.

capping at 50 OA, where the chance to drop stops increasing.

Or something along those lines.

I think that might be an easier way to help the newbs out with their gear dropping problems and it would be alot simpler.

Also, although I offered to donate some leather pants and leather helms already, I do agree with folk that say that giving away stuff to a newb will hurt their gameplay in the long run. I let a newb trade me a big pile of assorted crap for gear than I actually give things away.

Of course reducing drop rates or having someone give away armor on IP will make the one trade bot on IP, which I believe it was learner that paid alot for that spot, drop significantly in value. Giving away gear would hurt it the most out of the two.

Someone in this thread mentioned something about all the banning that would probably happen and the headache for mods. I don't suppose either one would be nice. Currently, even if a player has ten alts, it is still nice to have the Illusion of a nice amount of players actually playing EL instead of......list twenty or so competing games here. The only way to reduce the headache of the newb armory is to have their deaths announced on some channel where a person involved with this (if available at the time) will see the message and.....hopefully it does not drive them nuts so they flee the game before it does any more damage to their brain or the entertainment value of the game.

The newb daily quests also seems like a good solution.

Edited by nathanstenzel

I know coding is at a premium and is highly prioritized, but going to throw this out anyway. What if every C1 Blacksmith offered a newbie set ? For example similar to stats of an aug set, leath boots, iron helm and shield with a steel long type sword. Tag these items as non sellable and non storeable (similar to hazmat sort of). These items would only be available to players say under 30 a/d. Break rates and arm stats would be the same as normal ingame items. If said newbie required EMU or slots in their inventory, well they would have to drop said items. This would also within bag time limits accomplish a bit of redistribution.

I hate to say - but I don't like this.

Like others I give stuff to new players that I know - and have seen it abused.

I also feel that it would encourage the free st00f please brigade - as new players come to expect that things are for free and do not have to be worked for.

However, I do know how hard it is for a new player to be able to get low level armour - as most bots dont stok as it is non stackable.

As an alternative - how about an NPC right by a resource who takes donations in the form of minerals and gives out a items for every X ores donated. IE donate 200 coal, get a leather armour. This coal could then either poof or be made available for others to buy.

That way there is a way for new players to get the armour for a fair amount of work.

Going a stage further players can donate low level items to the NPC, and collect coal in return once they have been traded to new players (on a first come basis)

Out of this thread, I feel the best ideas are either the low level daily quests, more tutorialesque quests (point them to gods, send them to complete 1k water ess or something) -- Many new players get godless and that really isn't a good idea.