Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
crofdalf

crofdalf I've just been banned.

Hello,

My login is crofdalf.

I was playing to EL (with my PC and its stupid wifi / graphic card that becomes to hot with EL and the games stops about every 5 minutes sometime less)...

And once again, my screen became black. I thought that was my graphic card again. But when restarting EL, I saw the red message telling that my ip is banned :-(

I don't know what. But a scaring person followed me for one minute while I was playing (killing animals) with a green name and then talked to me. I don't remember the name. As I don't know how to talk in the game, I have typed a sentence followed by Enter (I said that : 'Hello, What are green names' ?) and my sentence appeared in the top of the screen.

The guy did not answered to me, went away, my screen became black, and I saw I was banned. Something is telling me that the guy did that, he weared particular clothes, looked like a very important person. He had a kind of long magic wand with blue.

I'm afraid because my father has also an account on that game, and told me that if I create an account, he won't help me, nor play in same time with me for some ban reasons precisely. I just hope you did not ban me for that. My father will be happy tomorrow.

Will my father will continue to play without problem ?

Thanks for having read me.

It is very funny that your computer had such issues (poor connection, overheating video card, blank screens, etc.) but you were killing monsters with deadly accuracy, not even stopping. And it is even more interesting that you said: " my screen became black, and I saw I was banned."

What really happened was that I teleported you in the rat house. That's what caused your screen to go blank momentarily, while the cliented loaded the map. That did not, however, stop you from attacking the rat less than second after I teleported you there.

As I don't know how to talk in the game, I have typed a sentence followed by Ente[...]

Interesting, considering that you already had an account, Saturn, which is somewhat leveled (O/A 61).

Ok, well, you had me !

I took me one day to develop this bot. And of course, Isla Prima is the best place to see bots.

Considering that it took me one day for this one, it may take about less than a week to make a very powerfull bot that will be able to go anywhere, and make tons of things, trade, deal with the storage, harvest, even manu, cook things.

The bot is yet able to hunt animals and to go to harvest alone at the nearest location, eat when it is needed. I thought about coding my own bot since the begining (with other ingame, we were speaking about that). I've resisted since today (why ?).

As you've understood, I'm a software engineer, and I am found of programming. I like open source projects because they are often great, and often better than commercial solutions. That's the reason for which I try to help each time I can.

I'm found of Eternal-Lands since years, and frankly speaking, I don't understand why is there so few people in the game (comparing to Wow), as it is imho a lot more interresting.

Radu ? (is that you) we have speak together ingame.

Well, it took you a day to write it, and took me an hour to discover it (actually less than that). And you aren't the first one to develop bots like that. We usually find them pretty fast.

Anyway, if you like open source projects, why do you try to ruin honest people's fun, instead of, I don't know, use your skills for something that would benefit others? Like, say, improve the client in legal ways, or stuff like that.

From the Eternal Lands rules here: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14582 (also you can find them ingame if you press F5)

21. No Macroing or Automation.

Do not use illegal automated programs, scripts or computers. The use of any illegal automated program or system, devices, computers or scripts will result in an immediate ban from the game.

22. Bots must be declared.

To use a bot in Eternal Lands, the bot must be registered, approved, and obey the rules. You can register your bot and read the rules here: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30163

If you do not declare your bot it may be banned from the game.

Note: a bot like you were using, and like you are describing for the future is not legal in EL.

[why do you try to ruin honest people's fun]

No, please, for sure I don't try to ruin other's fun. And I apologize if you think that. :confused:

I've made that bot to prove me that I was able to do it, to learn about the way the client works, and to

show my son that we can use computers for not just playing (he wants to become what I am, but he should work

a little).

I've learned a lot about the client, and need to improve the gui side.

I've been told that many player ingame use a bot to enhance their official char : that will be ruin other's fun.

I've created a separate char for that reason. And guess what, I did not take any precaution to hide it (especially bags on the floor was

an evidence, as well as things that are not visible on the screen).

Honestly, I even asked me why you did not saw it before. There was plenty of things that could have

been automatically detected by the server.

[i don't know, use your skills for something that would benefit others? Like, say, improve the client in legal ways, or stuff like that.]

That's precisely what I'm doing :-) by giving ideas (that were not retained rofl) and ..

I'm trying yet to enhance the client by making the Ency more powerfull.

I often need to search through the ency, and would like to have a Input Field (google search in the ency :P )

I think that the idea of the bot came while reading the code in order to understand how I could do that (the input box in the ency).

[some questions]

Am I banned for a month ?

As my IP is banned, am I allowed to play from another place ?

Edited by crofdalf

Most online games do not allow macroing. People level their characters by playing, not by having an automated software do it for them. When someone creates a client that automates stuff for them, they have an unfair advantage over those who play by the rules.

In EL, players are allowed to have bots, but there are some very specific rules for those bots, and they must be declared and approved (and usually there is a fee associated with that).

Client improvements must also be approved (that is a game rule, and it is in the client license).

Regarding your ban, I'll think about it and give you an answer tomorrow.

I agree with you Entropy.

My other char have been raised manually, and I've created a fake char for that purpose.

I won't risk 5 years of work on my char (saturn o/a61).

Raising a char by software means that the game is dead.

Also, my interrest in Saturn is elsewhere. EL is a kind of game where you can do

plenty of things, especially talk with people, and no bot in the world will do that !

About the Client Approvement you said, I'll give you a patch and that'll be up to you

to use it or not.

Thanks for your quick answers