Eternal Lands Official Forums
freeone3000

ELChat2

I just tried your updated AUR package, korrode.

I seem to only be able to log on to the test server.

(Going to bed now so will fuss with it more in the morning.)

Anyway, this issue is fixed.

...and the AUR package is updated so the shell script passes command line parameters.

Pfft of course, I never put in a parameter, so it automatically went to test. That's what happens when I mess with things too close to bedtime ;)

Works like a charm with ./ELChat2 main

If you're using the newest AUR package Aisy (version: 20110302-3), you shouldn't have to cd to the directory, you should just be able to type 'elchat2 main' (all lower-case elchat2) into a terminal from any directory :)

I think one thing would make this client more "alive"...

As a long time mud player this is something i'd love to see :)

Command: #look

Description: This command lists all actors in range.

Example:

You are in Desert Pines [120,120]:
  Groomsh [ZeaL] (male dwarf, 100/140 HP)
PlayerXYZ        (female elf,  50/50 HP)
     Deer        (    animal,  45/45 HP)

Also a nice thing would be a "notification" about an actor entering/leaving to/from your range.

Something like:

Groomsh just arrived.
Deer left your presence.

I know this could produce lot of spam...

So what do you think ?

I think it would indeed produce a lot of spam :P

I hope that if fo3k decides to implement it he makes it optional.

I wouldn't mind a #look command but I wouldn't want all that info popping up automatically.

It would be nice to be able to know where we are sitting if need be, and if it is safe.

Freeone: It appears as if message scrolling no longer works after today's patches. Once the screen is filled with messages, it does not scroll in order for new ones to appear, and new ones are not shown. They are found in the chat log, however.

I suggest not applying today's patches, or anything after commit 105 (ffa1178bc8d1). (In retrospect, it might have been better to push to another local repo, or get a bz2 of the files, but "hg push" is *still* the first thing that comes to mind. Didn't even branch...) The rest were a temporary measure, because my development computer managed to fry its PSU and can't run longer than a few minutes at a time. I'll try to get a Windows dev environment set up, but... not looking good for the rest of the week. I apologize for leaving the repository in an unstable state.

Hazor: The breakage was between commit 108 and 110? That was an attempt to make it speed up printing of #look and similar, and to remove the garbage printed before the first repaint. (I was able to reproduce! And all it took was to be sitting at an actual vterm instead of a tty emulator.)

EDIT: Figured out why. I'm getting the first n lines out of the buffer, instead of the last n lines (and possibly drawing in reverse). This was a change to allow scrollback, but won't be able to revive my computer for another week. I apologize for the delay - it's been affecting other things, too.

EDIT2: Managed to get a "working" C++ development environment on my laptop. Fixed a few cross-platform bugs and tidied up the Win32 build process. (Yes, only x86 at the moment, until someone decides to build a x64 pdcurses.dll.) So it now works there, and I fixed the scrollback bug, and potentially the crashing bug. Anyway, source is back into a stable branch, and everything should work A-OK again. Sorry for the mess there.

Edited by freeone3000

I think one thing would make this client more "alive"...

As a long time mud player this is something i'd love to see :)

Command: #look

Description: This command lists all actors in range.

Example:

You are in Desert Pines [120,120]:
  Groomsh [ZeaL] (male dwarf, 100/140 HP)
PlayerXYZ        (female elf,  50/50 HP)
     Deer        (    animal,  45/45 HP)

Also a nice thing would be a "notification" about an actor entering/leaving to/from your range.

Something like:

Groomsh just arrived.
Deer left your presence.

I know this could produce lot of spam...

I always envisaged a nice simple chat client that looked something like IRC. You would have a list of people in the "channel", where by default that would be in your vicinity, perhaps with the other channels being the other EL channels you are in. You could then similarly have the add/remove messages and/or the list always there, on the side somewhere.

I always envisaged a nice simple chat client that looked something like IRC. You would have a list of people in the "channel", where by default that would be in your vicinity, perhaps with the other channels being the other EL channels you are in. You could then similarly have the add/remove messages and/or the list always there, on the side somewhere.

This would consume a large amount of space, especially on devices with small screens, such as smart phones, so if it were added it would have to be optional. Slacker was tinkering with getting it to run on his iPhone, but when last he mentioned it yesterday he said that it wasn't yet working but also that he hadn't done a lot yet.

There wouldn't be an apk package for Android for this, would there? If not, is it possible?

No. And... I have no clue. Can android run native code loaded by a user? Is android a posix system? Are the boost libraries available for it? Does standard output point to a useful place? Does it have an ncurses library? Does it have a BSD networking stack accessible by applications?

If all of the above are yes, then sure, it *can* be done. I don't have an android phone, nor a suitable cross-complier, nor any of the knowledge needed to do that, but if someone *can*, I'm open to the idea.

A few things in the client could be shuffled to the library, but even if the above *isn't* true, the idea is that one can replace the PDCurses GUI with any other C++ class that extends the proper class, so it'd be possible to port it to any posix system with bsd networking.

Edited by freeone3000