Eternal Lands Official Forums
nathanstenzel

wrong name for mixing window

When you put the mouse over the mixing window icon, it says manufacturing window.

It is a minor detail, but that should be referred to as a mixing window. It is used for crafting, alchemy, potions, summoning, engineering....not just manufacturing.

It also say "manufacture" at the top of the window. I think that should be changed to "Mix".

When you put the mouse over the mixing window icon, it says manufacturing window.

It is a minor detail, but that should be referred to as a mixing window. It is used for crafting, alchemy, potions, summoning, engineering....not just manufacturing.

It also say "manufacture" at the top of the window. I think that should be changed to "Mix".

You are wrong...

Manufacture: To make or process (a raw material) into a finished product, especially by means of a large-scale industrial operation.

EDIT: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/manufacturing

Edited by PaulB

But will they think "manufacture" as in the definition or the skill? Think about it. "Mixing" is still right and there is no room for confusion.

correction it says "view manufacture window"

when mixing anthing u are manufacturing a new product by mixing raw matterails into something new.... Mixing is just the process in which it takes to create the new product there for it is correct the way it is.

Any feedback from someone that does not have the english language selected for their client?

Perhaps a clue what "mix" and "manufacture" are in their given languages?

I wouldn't doubt it if the word on the mixing window was not the same for the manufacturing skill in a language else than english.

Dictionary.com

man⋅u⋅fac⋅ture  /ˌmænyəˈfæktʃər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [man-yuh-fak-cher] Show IPA noun, verb, -tured, -tur⋅ing.

–noun 1. the making of goods or wares by manual labor or by machinery, esp. on a large scale: the manufacture of television sets.

2. the making or producing of anything; generation: the manufacture of body cells.

3. the thing or material manufactured; product: Plastic is an important manufacture.

–verb (used with object)

4. to make or produce by hand or machinery, esp. on a large scale.

5. to work up (material) into form for use: to manufacture cotton.

6. to invent fictitiously; fabricate; concoct: to manufacture an account of the incident.

7. to produce in a mechanical way without inspiration or originality: to manufacture a daily quota of poetry.

mix  /mɪks/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [miks] Show IPA verb, mixed or mixt, mix⋅ing, noun

–verb (used with object) 1. to combine (substances, elements, things, etc.) into one mass, collection, or assemblage, generally with a thorough blending of the constituents.

2. to put together indiscriminately or confusedly (often fol. by up).

3. to combine, unite, or join: to mix business and pleasure.

4. to add as an element or ingredient: Mix some salt into the flour.

5. to form or make by combining ingredients: to mix a cake; to mix mortar.

6. to crossbreed.

7. Movies. a. to combine, blend, edit, etc. (the various components of a soundtrack): to mix dialogue and sound effects.

b. to complete the mixing process on (a film, soundtrack, etc.): an important movie that took months to mix.

8. to combine (two or more separate recordings or microphone signals) to make a single recording or composite signal.

–verb (used without object) 9. to become mixed: a paint that mixes easily with water.

10. to associate or mingle, as in company: to mix with the other guests at a party.

11. to be crossbred, or of mixed breeding.

12. Boxing. to exchange blows vigorously and aggressively: The crowd jeered as the fighters clinched, refusing to mix.

–noun 13. an act or instance of mixing.

14. the result of mixing; mixture: cement mix; an odd mix of gaiety and sadness.

15. a commercially prepared blend of ingredients to which usually only a liquid must be added to make up the total of ingredients necessary or obtain the desired consistency: a cake mix; muffin mix.

16. mixer (def. 4).

17. the proportion of ingredients in a mixture; formula: a mix of two to one.

18. Informal. a mess or muddle; mix-up.

19. Music. an electronic blending of tracks or sounds made to produce a recording.

—Verb phrases20. mix down, to mix the tracks of an existing recording to make a new recording with fewer tracks: the four-track tape was mixed down to stereo.

21. mix up, a. to confuse completely, esp. to mistake one person or thing for another: The teacher was always mixing up the twins.

b. to involve or entangle.

—Idiom22. mix it up, Slang. a. to engage in a quarrel.

b. to fight with the fists.

Also, mix it.

SO READ LINE 4 ON MAUFACTURE DEFINITION

Any feedback from someone that does not have the english language selected for their client?

Perhaps a clue what "mix" and "manufacture" are in their given languages?

I wouldn't doubt it if the word on the mixing window was not the same for the manufacturing skill in a language else than english.

Manufacturing (English)

Produkcja (Polish)

Imal ediyor (Turkish)

Fabrique (Spanish)

Fabricarea (Romanian)

fabricação (Portuguese)

Herstellung (German)

fabriquer (French)

fremstilling (Danish)

Výroba (Czech)

Quite a few of them are similar and someone correct me please if my translator was incorrect on any of them.

Yeah......they are called EL players. Without such people, there would be nobody in the game.

And this is driving away the players?

Heh, in all the years i have been playing EL i never even thought about what the name of the windows are, i just know that thats where i mix ingreds to make items with what it's called really doesn't matter imo.

Manufacturing = Hitta på, Tillverka, Framställa, Fabricera In Swedish :D

I agree with nathan. In the real world, manufacturing means to make stuff. But this isn't the real world. This is a game; a game in which manufacturing refers to a specific skill. He's right. That window is used for a lot more than just that one skill.

Changing the name of the window is a very small change. I can't think of a downside to changing it.

I also find it very curious how some people can be vehemently opposed to such minor things.

The issue is not about how much work it involves.

The issue is not about there not being any downside if changed.

The issue is not about how much much benefit is there if changed.

The issue isn't even that the window is labeled with the "wrong name" (which it is not, it is an accurate name).

The issue is...some things are the way they are because the game creators WANTED it that way. (I am pretty confident that ent and roja are educated enough to know the meanings of mix and manufacture, and also are aware enough to know that they had a skill called manufacturing when they named this window.)

I don't think they are obligated to justify every decision they ever made or will make when making their game.

I also don't think they are obligated to justify not implementing whatever suggestion comes along. If they like it, they'll use it or modify it to their liking. If not, they don't. If they want more info or are on the fence about it, they might ask somebody to put a poll up in general chat or discuss it somewhere.

They are not obligated to implement something just because there is no downside to it.

If I had to say I was vehemently opposed to something, it is the mentality that just because something is suggested, it should go ingame. Even worse are the demands for justification as to why it isn't. (And let's face it, everybody thinks their own suggestions are the best thing since sliced bread. Nobody can understand why their pearls of wisdom are rejected :P )

If something has merit or even is just a cool eye-candy idea, you'll know it when you see it in future updates. If it doesn't, you won't see it. ;)

Why is there even a discussion?

–verb (used with object)

In case you can't read. Manufacture is the correct terminology anyways. TL;DR kids.

I think Nathan brings up some good points. I was personally confused when I saw "Manufacturing Window" as a noob, and couldn't find the alch window. The people in this thread just throwing the definition of "manufacture" around aren't really even looking at the main point of the argument. Yes, manufacture can have a very broad definition and technically fits the description of what we do for alchemy in this game. But in the EL dialect, so far as I'm aware, the general term for anything done in that window is "Mix." The conversations usually look like "What are you doing?" "Mixing fe's," or something of the like. Even in the description of special days, like Joule, the word used is specifically mix (iirc). I think it could be helpful to change the window name to Mixing Window, as clarification, so that when noobs have to learn the definition of Mix, they only have to learn one definition, rather than the two definitions of Manufacture used in the game currently.

Aislinn brings up good points as well, however. Convenience shouldn't be the only factor in deciding what suggestions go in game. Likely, there are more important things requiring attention, or there could be any number of reasons it wouldn't be worthwhile to focus on changing that one word.

Why is there even a discussion?

–verb (used with object)

In case you can't read. Manufacture is the correct terminology anyways. TL;DR kids.

Since we're just repeating what others have said now

The people in this thread just throwing the definition of "manufacture" around aren't really even looking at the main point of the argument. Yes, manufacture can have a very broad definition and technically fits the description of what we do for alchemy in this game. But in the EL dialect, so far as I'm aware, the general term for anything done in that window is "Mix."

Just because a community deems it so, doesn't mean it should be so. Look at the community rules etc, do you see any other successful games using community rules?

It's not a rule, it's language. It's a dialect in which "mixing" might have a certain meaning that makes no sense outside of gameplay. It's what people say, and what people understand. You know how there are different dialects of languages, right? Try learning all of the different dialects, (and I mean all the different word usages/inflections/etc...) of German, French, Spanish, etc... Come post again in 2099, please.

What, then, do you suppose is the purpose of a community in this beta-stage game if not for feedback on what is good and what needs improvment? This suggestion makes perfect sense. Not because it "doesn't hurt anyone," but because it legitimately could help people. It could have helped me personally in my early playing days. I fully understand that there may be more important things to focus on, but why discredit the idea outright?

If we're going to argue silly points, I think it's worth noting that "mix" doesn't seem to be an official game term. Why would it be added to the client?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. "Because it's not something originally included in the client, it shouldn't be added to the client"? Otherwise the suggestion would have to be "Make it the Alch/Manu/Eng/Pot/Craft window." But....since mix is a term readily understood, and, in EL, covers all of those things (as opposed to manu which is typically understood to involve making swords/armor/etc...)......make sense?

since mix is a term readily understood,

So is "mums" or "lups", but I doubt you'll ever see that in the client or encyclopedia.

Moreover, my point was really that this topic is dumb and trivial.