Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

NPCs

Do you care about the new NPCs?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Do you talk to the new NPCs?

• Yes, after each update I try to find the new NPCs and talk to them.
    • If I stumble upon an NPC I will talk to it.
    • No, I don't really care about them that much.

What I'd really love to see is a more easily navigated quest log. Each quest with it's own section, sequential quest event history, and etc.

Agree 100% :pickaxe: btw, i'm in the 2nd category

Edited by Ozmondius

What I'd really love to see is a more easily navigated quest log. Each quest with it's own section, sequential quest event history, and etc.

Agree 100% :pickaxe: btw, i'm in the 2nd category

There is this new device, called pen and paper. I heard it offers a lot of flexibility, you can arrange your quest notes the way you see fit and stuff.

When I see a new npc, I quickly click through all the dialogue without actually reading anything. This is so that if the npc gives a quest, I start it, but if the npc does not give a quest, I didn't waste any time.

I am glad that there are people like you, because that's how I get some bricks :pickaxe:

Lol @ Caton

Agree 100% :icon13: btw, i'm in the 2nd category

There is this new device, called pen and paper. I heard it offers a lot of flexibility, you can arrange your quest notes the way you see fit and stuff.

Yep, just a suggestion to improve your game, take it or leave it.

Hello EL :)

PNJ poses me a problem: they ask for a big job of translation, for me, which does not speak English fluently. Unable to copy / glue together their dialogues in an online translator, I must therefore copy everything out me even, by playing on two windows.

Then I acquire a general translation: as me, the translators understand nuances, expressions colourful, poem, nor puns, slang, nor anything similar.

In finale, I am frustrated and perplexed and I have impression to have wasted time, while it has it full of amusing things to be made in game.

However when I meet unknown PNJ, I open dialogue, in the hope of having a revelation :icon13: and especially to admire the picture representing the face of PNJ.

I definitely realize, on the contrary, that numerous players appreciate search and I am happy for them there and the game which, unquestionably, wins in thickness, as long as it becomes a blocking system, of course (obligatory search, no possible progress in game otherwise).

Thank you for having read me.

Miri

Post-scriptum : so sorry if my translatore one line said stranges things : i hope no ;)

While i have to agree that pen and paper offer the possibility to do it all exactly the way one wants, I also think that at least keeping each quest´s dialogues in the quest log together, instead of mixing them up in the order you talk to the NPCs, offers just a hint of convenience to us players (those that appreciate a bit of convenience, that is).

If you look at the following questlog taken from another game:

ql.jpg

You see the way they are organised on the left side, and then when you click on one of those, you can get more info in the main part of the log.

My personal opinion is that if you are going to add quite a few more new quests in the future, something like this would be a real addition and improvement. And although the quest log that I posted above even gives autopath to destination, or sometimes gives exact locations or reveals what exactly it is you need, surely you can keep the info in it sort of limited, but at least somewhat organised.

But, just like Ozmondius, just giving a suggestion, up to you to maybe think it over or write it off on the spot.

ql.jpg

My personal opinion is that if you are going to add quite a few more new quests in the future, something like this would be a real addition and improvement. And although the quest log that I posted above even gives autopath to destination, or sometimes gives exact locations or reveals what exactly it is you need, surely you can keep the info in it sort of limited, but at least somewhat organised.

I voted second option, I like the npcs they have added flavor to the game. I talked to the NPC in the crafting temple and now I wear red!! :icon13: so it has even change my ingame behavior somewhat.

On above quote I also really liked the quest system in the above game and if i'm not mistaken the quests didn't show up in the panel until you found the npc you needed to talk to. There were a few ongoing quests that really never left your panel but all side quests you had to find and start yourself, but you weren't required to do them at all unless you talked to the person you could even decline the quest and then just go about your day killing monsters.

I'm not saying EL has to copy that system exactly but I do think it is a very successful quest tracking design, in EL if I do more then one quest at once it sometimes takes me a bit to find the last quote in the quest log that I need to reference.

But i also use pen and paper at the moment in EL (or the note feature built into the game.)

Edit: Spelzingz

Edited by Elf_Ninja

While i have to agree that pen and paper offer the possibility to do it all exactly the way one wants, I also think that at least keeping each quest´s dialogues in the quest log together, instead of mixing them up in the order you talk to the NPCs, offers just a hint of convenience to us players (those that appreciate a bit of convenience, that is).

ql.jpg

You see the way they are organised on the left side, and then when you click on one of those, you can get more info in the main part of the log.

But, just like Ozmondius, just giving a suggestion, up to you to maybe think it over or write it off on the spot.

have to agree with Dilly, that games quest system was so much more organized. was easier to do quests. Im second collumn as well, as if i find a npc i dont recognize, i'll go chat it up :icon13:

though, with the quest system, one thing that bothers me is playing and doing the quests on multiple characters means i get all the chatlog and not just that characters one ;) so i get confused very often.

Finished the wine quest 4 years after I started it.

We had been playing 4-5 people on the same 2-3 computers, impossible to find out where we stopped last time because it was mixed up.

Could not abandon the quest and start over.

Only reason I could end the quest was because I followed another player , who did it from start to end same day.

I'm not going to do other quests as long as the questlogs are mixed up.

PNJ poses me a problem: they ask for a big job of translation, for me, which does not speak English fluently. Unable to copy / glue together their dialogues in an online translator, I must therefore copy everything out me even, by playing on two windows.

I will have a go at adding a "copy text to clipboard" option to the dialogue window. That should save you some time.

I'm in the second category generally though I'd like to do more of the new quests so may be I'll hunt out a few... I think the new NPCs are a nice addition to the game. :icon13:

Edited by bluap

Agree 100% :icon13: btw, i'm in the 2nd category

Yep, just a suggestion to improve your game, take it or leave it.

We have a notepad in game, yes? We have counters? Knowledge log? Current levels display? #sto? Numerous other things which could otherwise be done with pen and paper.

You know, when I get all this shit, I really don't feel motivated at all to work at new quests. It's not like I don't have better things to do with my time.

I'm more in the second than in the first category, though I hunted down all the new NPCs in Desert Pines after my vacation last summer (mostly because nobody had added them to the wiki :icon13:).

I think the new NPCs are a great addition that tremendously enrich in the game, regardless of whether they are part of a quest or "just" the storyline. They add life to otherwise empty (parts of) maps and depth to the game as a whole. They say "Look, we care about this fictional world. We have all these stories and they are not apart from the actual game, even though you may still play as if they were if you prefer to."

Of course, other parts of the game would benefit from inclusion into the storyline as well, say special days (example, there are even more obvious OOC-days) and improvements to the UI are always welcome but since this thread is about NPCs: keep them coming \o/

voted third option

only care about quest npc with good rewards, like exp in skills i dont normally do

would talk to other NPC for quests though if they had some sort of indication that they have a quest available, like something above their head

and if quests become easier to keep track of, like for example: instead of 1 big wall of quest text from multiple characters we could have a window like that with the quest name

and if you click the quest name the quest info expands below it

make an indication of where one quest info ends and have the name of the other quest you got open below it

Well, you're the type of person who shouldn't be playing an RPG then. You'd be better off in CS, Halo or the like.

and why is that? not saying questlog should only say what you need and where to go, just saying that when you have multiple quests open its hard to keep track (especially when there are alot more quests planned)

you could name the quests, put down their name and have everything the npc says there if you click quest name.

would just simplify the tracking of quests, not the difficulty. and it doesnt make you skip through all of whats said

Edited by Infamous

When players give input on what they don't like, isn't it useful to improve in those areas...?

I also find it annoying that quest logs from different characters are mixed into 1, and even quests done simultaneously on one char cause a mix up of info...

Edit; And yes of course the new NPCs are nice, they give the impression there are also 'normal' inhabitants, besides players.

Edited by ProHibited

You know, when I get all this shit, I really don't feel motivated at all to work at new quests. It's not like I don't have better things to do with my time.

Please don't get discouraged from making quests and NPCs. =(

You can see from the poll that most people really like the NPCs and I've heard almost nothing but good things about the quests (I've been working on doing them myself).

Like I said in my last post, the depth that they add to the world is fantastic. Both my sister and I greatly appreciate the thought that has gone into the story they present.

As for the quests... yes, I'd like a more organized quest log. I'd also like 15,000,000gc deposited straight into my storage. =D If anyone has the skill and the time to design a new one, I'd be dancing jigs of joy. If we get more NPCs and quests and have to live with the old quest log, I'd still be doing jigs of joy. You're doing a great job! I think people were just tossing out a suggestion (which should have been under the suggestion forum). If anyone WAS complaining, they need to remember that there wouldn't BE an Eternal Lands without the dedication and hard work that you and the other devs put into it. =D

Thanks for the game!

Jayim_Duinara

EDIT: I see in the programming forum, that someone has already added something to separate questlogs for different characters.

Edited by Jayim_Duinara

I will have a go at adding a "copy text to clipboard" option to the dialogue window. That should save you some time.

I'm in the second category generally though I'd like to do more of the new quests so may be I'll hunt out a few... I think the new NPCs are a nice addition to the game. :D

A search feature might help too. This might take care of some requests others had for the quest log too. At least partially.

By the way, I tend to just notice npc's when walking around and talk to them. Some of them are rather interesting while some are rather boring. Not everyone can be an interesting character. I wonder at times if stuff they say is part of a quest or not. It is hard to tell sometimes, since you know not everything gets logged.

Edited by nathanstenzel

I also voted for the 2nd opinion, and even so i like doing the quests, the quest logs are sometimes a place of confusion. I do not say it should be organized like the screen shot, but if it would be organized like the notepad, in xml style, where everything on npc said is under this npc's name it would be really great.

The quests are great and a tribut to everyone involved in greating them. The Quest log itself is right now nothing more then a list of quotes, that may be helpful, but most times it is better to use your notepad to copy all necessary information streight into it.

Right now i fear talking to NPC because i might add yet another quest, i want to finishe the ones i have open before i do that. And if it is only so that i can find the logs more easily then otherwise

Edited by vinoveritas

I just found kohtag, a new NPC. I'm not a roleplayer (rarely ever do quests) but it was fun stumbling onto an NPC and talking to it :) Keep adding more NPCs in random places, Radu. This is really cool, nice work :devlish:

I usually talk to the NPCs ive have never seen before.

That would be nice if with NPC there were also some new hidden places and those NPCs gave us some tip on where to find it (like a treasure hunt or something alike) that would just add even more RPing

Ive never found hidden places due to NPC tips (hope that was not due to my "dumbness")

Edited by Tico

Second choice here, although I don't talk to random (even new) NPCs that pop up when I have other things on my mind :) Sometimes I bring up the map and mark the spot to come back to that NPC later.

On the other hand, when I'm in the mood for chit-chat, I enjoy reading some of the background stories. Things like that add to the uniqueness of EL imo.