Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

NPCs

Do you care about the new NPCs?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Do you talk to the new NPCs?

• Yes, after each update I try to find the new NPCs and talk to them.
    • If I stumble upon an NPC I will talk to it.
    • No, I don't really care about them that much.

Well, as some of you might have realized, we have a lot of new NPCs than we had at the beginning of 2009, and I am constantly adding more (the plan is, at least 200 more).

I know that most people don't care about the new NPCs, or about the background information they add to the game, and I would like to have some real data about what people think about our effort to add more RPing in the game.

Well, as some of you might have realized, we have a lot of new NPCs than we had at the beginning of 2009, and I am constantly adding more (the plan is, at least 200 more).

I know that most people don't care about the new NPCs, or about the background information they add to the game, and I would like to have some real data about what people think about our effort to add more RPing in the game.

Honestly, I feel the UI is too mushed and my attention span cant last through all 20 options. / Big fancy rp words

Either that or Im used to old el without awesome quests

EDIT to not seem liek an ass: I certainly apprecaite the effort put into them, It ahs changed teh game quite a bit

Edited by jjk

I am in the second category for the most part, but every once in awhile I explore and go search them out. I always wonder where a new quest will appear and some of the stories they tell totally crack me up.

I think it is great that more and more NPCs are being added. Whether people like it or not, new NPCs that give background information are very essential part of the game. It makes new players more interested in the game the history of each map and exploring them. It also makes new players think: "Hey, someone is actually putting effort into making this game interesting!".

Edited by hussam

When I first started playing the game, there wasn't much in the way of quests. I liked the game, but it seemd like a big empty world. The quests and NPC's add depth to the world and give something fun to do for people that can't participate in invasions. Keep up the good work.

On a related note, a threaded quest interface would be a huge improvement, or at least a command where you could get the status of a quest you were working on.

I did all quests available so far and always look for more.

NPCs show effort being put in the game providing more background.

I am more in the 1st category. So keep bringing them on ;)

Primarily I speak to them as I find them, so second category. I prefer them this way because I've already explored the maps so much that there's not much to surprise me, and stumbling on a new one is a nice surprise. If I go hunt down new ones as they're added I lose that.

Though there are times I do actually go looking for them if I know new ones exist I haven't found. Occasionally for quests, occasionally on my own just out of a need to take a break and do something different.

Either way, they're definitely worthwhile additions to the game. Not just for quests but for adding background story to the lands and how they came to look as they do. I thought this was a great and needed addition to the game when it was announced in your dev journal back in July, and still do.

People responding to either the first or second option find them a good addition, albeit in diffferent ways. And the stories told do get remembered, even if only vaguely enough to understand the "why" aspect of that NPCs surrounding or why they're there. Even if every detail isn't remembered, enough is to help flesh out and add more "life" to the maps.

I like the info added by NPCs, it reminds me the oldschool RPG games, where you have to understand a story to can progress.

Anyway, as i define myself as an explorer, after each Update i walk around with no destination, looking for new NPCs :P

2nd option - stumble and speak

While I agree the addition of more NCP's is a good thing, I will allways look at an MMO as a place for speaking to real people, NCP interaction is not why I would play an MMO but yes it adds depth and gives people attaniable goals which is great.

When I see a new npc, I quickly click through all the dialogue without actually reading anything. This is so that if the npc gives a quest, I start it, but if the npc does not give a quest, I didn't waste any time.

I usually belong to the second option and talk to them when i stumble over one while i'm out exploring but atm im mostly harvesting so not going anywhere else but to a sto and what ever it is i am mining/harvesting

Hello all,

I LOVE the new depth that has been added to Draia by way of inhabitants. Everytime I stumble across a new NPC, I'm like a kid who's been handed a bowl of candy. I selected the first option, because my sister has told me where a few NPCs are, so I went and hunted them down.

Great work!

Jayim_Duinara

Voted for the first, but sometimes that is more wishful thinking. Often we exchange info on NPCs we found in guildchat, but Chejo is much better at finding them than me :P I do actually talk to each NPC I find, and really read the text. Found quite a few things I didnt know about this way. I think it adds a fun aspect to the game. Some NPCs have great personality and the 'history' is brought to life this way.

Keep them coming :)

Mixi

When I see a new npc, I quickly click through all the dialogue without actually reading anything. This is so that if the npc gives a quest, I start it, but if the npc does not give a quest, I didn't waste any time.

I am glad that there are people like you, because that's how I get some bricks :P

A thought on talking to NPCs: What if some of the next quests could start at any of several (maybe 5 or 6) NPCs? Each NPC could have a different little intro to the quest. This way instead of heading directly to the specific NPC they read about online and clicking through the dialogue, people would have to travel around a bit and talk to several NPCs before they can start the quest. It could add another layer and exposes people to new places and NPCs.

I tend to be in the first category, which was easy when NPCs were added in large batches to specific maps... but now I'm lagging behind, damn RL work!

But aside from quests, my favourites are those NPCs that hint at "secrets", like secret rooms or passages; even after a few years of playing, I have found a few of them only by carefully pondering the words used in those dialogues. That's an easy way to add value to NPCs even for those players that are not interested in the role playing aspect at all.

Overall, a big thumb up! :P

voted third option

only care about quest npc with good rewards, like exp in skills i dont normally do

would talk to other NPC for quests though if they had some sort of indication that they have a quest available, like something above their head

and if quests become easier to keep track of, like for example: instead of 1 big wall of quest text from multiple characters we could have a window like that with the quest name

and if you click the quest name the quest info expands below it

make an indication of where one quest info ends and have the name of the other quest you got open below it

voted third option

only care about quest npc with good rewards, like exp in skills i dont normally do

would talk to other NPC for quests though if they had some sort of indication that they have a quest available, like something above their head

and if quests become easier to keep track of, like for example: instead of 1 big wall of quest text from multiple characters we could have a window like that with the quest name

make an indication of where one quest info ends and have the name of the other quest you got open below it

Well, you're the type of person who shouldn't be playing an RPG then. You'd be better off in CS, Halo or the like.

voted third option

Well, you're the type of person who shouldn't be playing an RPG then. You'd be better off in CS, Halo or the like.

I feel the same way about npc's and quests. They are not my favoirte thing in a game. That said, I know they bring a lot of joy to others, so they are great for this reason. But a lot of el apeal to me is that the quests are optional. As with the story lines.

I like the choice in this manner.

I tried games like regeum online, and it was extreamly quest heavy, I hated it. :pickaxe:

voted third option

What if he likes an on-going character development model?

Player based market system?

Combat based around rolls that include equipment and character stats rather than mouse targeting accuracy?

etc.

tbh Ace, implying that MMORPG's, this game specifically, is not for people that don't enjoy storyline is a pretty stupid thing to say. Why alienate those types of players? How do they hurt the game? (other than making Radu annoyed that his work on NPC's isn't appreciated by absolutely everyone :pickaxe: )

Just because you don't seem to enjoy the many elements of the game that are not based around storyline doesn't invalidate those elements.

Also, what Infamous suggests is a system that is present in MANY other MMORPG's, ones with much bigger playerbases than EL, so i wouldn't be so quick to discount it.

Edited by Korrode

Like most people, I've clicked the middle option.

I'm happy to do all the quests and one day I will. So far I've only done/started 3-4. Why is my progress slow? Well, for one, I can't kill a few things :pickaxe:

What I'd really love to see is a more easily navigated quest log. Each quest with it's own section, sequential quest event history, and etc.

And and.... dare I say it? I dislike the dialogue window - the contents of it is nice! (minus the cursing *tut tut*) Needs to be different font and portrait window shape imo.

For now, will keep chatting to the new faces ;)

Also, what Infamous suggests is a system that is present in MANY other MMORPG's, ones with much bigger playerbases than EL, so i wouldn't be so quick to discount it.

Yes, I know that some other MMOs mark the quest given NPCs, but there is no way I am going to do it. if people can't be bothered to talk to an NPC and see if there are any quests available, why should they get any rewards?