Eternal Lands Official Forums

I've noticed a LOT of people AFK fighting lately, surrounded by 'poofing' bags.

What if the auto-AFK setting was mandatory 1-5 minutes with a defense penalty for being attacked AFK?

How is afk fighting possible in EL, since there is ignore lvls for monsters? So practically you can't get attacked by monster that can't kill you if you don't heal pretty often. I'm just curious to know with what monsters this afk fighting has been happening?

Edit: Actually might work with fluffies etc. if you wear strong armor, big sword and FR cape... So yes would be good idea maybe :whistle:

Edited by Miiks

I want to tell you what creatures ya can do it with, but I'd be afraid I'd encourage it.

I know it's possible though because I used to do it at lower levels, hehe. Co-ordination has to be where most of your PP go for this. I'll share that much for other super-slow internet users.

I 'perked out' on negative perks and jacked up my co-ord to 40,

then I could go 'afk' at a certain spawn and collect bags w/o dying till I hit a certain creature's ignore level.

(I built my character like this to survive an EXTREMELY laggy wireless connection)

There aren't too many spots ya can do this, only enclosed multi spawn areas.

I know it's possible though because I used to do it at lower levels, hehe

So now that you're done with your days of afk training you want to penalize others who would do this as well as everyone else in EL who ever goes afk? Makes perfect sense.

Edit: Fixed the quote.

Edited by chr0nik

I know it's possible though because I used to do it at lower levels, hehe

So now that you're done with your days of afk training you want to penalize others who would do this as well as everyone else in EL who ever goes afk? Makes perfect sense.

Edit: Fixed the quote.

Ok, I'll start doin it again...

sounds like ogres.. or orcs... or anything below.,... they dont matter... its the mind-destroying, soul-cripping thousands of hours you spend on stuff after that that really matters.

lol..lovely how people first exploit something, and then come here to post and nerf it.

if no aggro ingame, all maps would be safe from creatures, now that's no fun, is it?

lol..lovely how people first exploit something, and then come here to post and nerf it.

if no aggro ingame, all maps would be safe from creatures, now that's no fun, is it?

I think what he's trying to say is more along the lines of "why let people advance in a/d without even being at the keyboard?" Of course, under his rule harvesters should take a harvesting level penalty every time they dont click on the dung for 1-5 min........

@Canab: Interesting concept, though you're being remarkably hypocritical to suggest that people cant do a certain thing, now that you've benefitted as much as you could from it. As far as I know, afk training at this point isnt have much of a negative effect on the game. From the outsiders perspective, it sounds like you just don't want people to be able to catch up to you in a/d quickly ^^

Edit: typos.

Edited by Aledezar

I think what he's trying to say is more along the lines of "why let people advance in a/d without even being at the keyboard?" Of course, under his rule harvesters should take a harvesting level penalty every time they dont click on the dung for 1-5 min........

Edit: typos.

With mini-events, harvesters are already penalized for AFK harvesting by not harvesting at all :)

(I remember those times, sitting 20 mins afk on titanium, coming back from lunch and found myself over 600 ore in my inventory :()

The reason is/was because I literally couldn't find a free spawn because people were sitting at SEVERAL spawns who weren't even there, ALL on the same day...

I'm not a competitive player, I don't care if other people advance fast, I just want to occupy my time. And I'm selfish. I think spawns shouldn't be taken up by people that are out having lunch when I'm on my lunch break looking for a spawn...

to ME a defense penalty after 5 min seems a lot like the mini-harv event fix for AFK harving.

AFK fighting could still be easily done, just not to extremes. Like AFK harving now with a medallion, basically you have to at least be NEAR your computer...

Edited by Canabtzedec

Random chance of "You get bored and get drowsy" for every minutes after 5 minutes is what it seems you are looking for.

I see your point that a person should not be able to train that way. I also see the point of the others that say you brought it up after you exploited it yourself.

What has not been mentioned is the medallion that lets a person farm gc while they are at it. That medallion makes things a bit worse.

Lol.. only people that can attempt to "afk train" in the way you're are on lower level mobs like ogre and such. and even then you need a CoL & enough armor to absorb the normal damage. Also, whenever I trained ogres (which I assume your current levels are around) I always had mass bags around me because of all the bones I didn't have emu for.

The reason is/was because I literally couldn't find a free spawn because people were sitting at SEVERAL spawns who weren't even there, ALL on the same day...

I'm not a competitive player, I don't care if other people advance fast, I just want to occupy my time. And I'm selfish. I think spawns shouldn't be taken up by people that are out having lunch when I'm on my lunch break looking for a spawn...

to ME a defense penalty after 5 min seems a lot like the mini-harv event fix for AFK harving.

AFK fighting could still be easily done, just not to extremes. Like AFK harving now with a medallion, basically you have to at least be NEAR your computer...

get real.

If you find a spawn where someone is obviously afk, then take it.

Where is your problem.....

I always thought AFK fighting was against the rules, don't remember which one but I'll log on to see if I can find it.

Edit:

[PM from Theryndan: afk fighting is not against the rules, as long as there is no automation involved: no auto-healing, no auto-eating, no auto-attacking (if the monsters..]

[PM from Theryndan: ..ignore you)]

[PM to Theryndan: ah thanks for clarifying :) ]

[PM to Theryndan: do you mind if I use that pm in my forum post?]

[PM from Theryndan: yes, you can use my pm if you want to]

It looks like I misunderstood the details on AFK fighting. So not especially against the rules, I guess it falls more under the category of 'Community Rules' like bagjumping and spawn serping.

In that case I would have to agree with Gilrain, if they are obviously afk just take the spawn. At times like that it makes you wish you could heal the mob still :icon13:

Edit: actually, sounds like you can heal the mob if you haven't attacked it or something to that effect, time for some more research ;)

Edited by SinS

Not being a fighter, I am struggling to understand why this is an issue. If someone is afk, just fight the silly monster yourself.

Mini Events - criticals.

Afk training would be no sweat. but since you get critical dmg there's no armour to protect you.

For real afk training, being away for 30+ minutes you need low level monster (ogre is max) and max toughness. Even then you will get constant damage and need to heal. And having all those pps spent to get toughness is away from reaction and dexterity. Ignore level will be reached fast too.

Those with epic gear and boosted coord aren't really afk training, just training with paying less attention. Same as anyone harvesting, few are the ppl that look at the screen all the time when harving. And having big coord increases might which adds to dmg, so either you leave phys low and take bigger crits or take some phys and kill too fast and get even weaker exp. Note you need low monster to succeed, so it's not likely for a trainer to have big oa for enough pps to compensate with other attributes.

Those that can pull through a build that allows very long afk train periods could do the levels in one thirds of time spent on afking, it's just less mind numbing done afk. There's still the normal trainer that has full rights to take the spawn, no harm done to anyone.

And as St_Arcane said, it's after the ogres that really count.

If someone thinks an afk trainer gets insane wins compared to them it's time to relook the situation. The real jealosy is for ppl with pvp build who sit at guild map 24/7 and take turns with their friend from opposing time zone. 24/7 def training with nearly no cost can be done. It's still not away from you.