Eternal Lands Official Forums
Gilrain

custom path for user files ?

Hi,

the INI file already has an option to specify the program path (program files), but i cannot find such an option for the user data.

How does EL determine where to generate/find the user data? (standard seems My Documents\Eternal Lands)

Is it possible to specify or redirect this location?

regards,

UPDATE:

ok, seems i found it in elpathwrapper.c

Looks like its hardcoded there to try HOME with some fallback (to the program dir ??).

I'll suggest introducing a 'user_dir' to the INI...

Edited by Gilrain

Looks like its hardcoded there to try HOME with some fallback (to the program dir ??).

How will the client know where find the el.ini file if the location to look is specified in that same file? This is why it is hard(ish) wired.

How will the client know where find the el.ini file if the location to look is specified in that same file? This is why it is hard(ish) wired.

good point :), didnt think of that.

with the current concept, that could maybe done with a command line option to specify user path or ini-file location. Then we'd ofc not need the entry at the INI file.

Or another possibility would be to store the INI-file under "%APPDATA%\Eternal Lands\" and the whole rest of the (nonconfig) user data then in the user folder like now. But this way makes it more complicate, so i wouldnt recommend that, even if thats the official Microsoft way to store such things in windows afaik.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.