Eternal Lands Official Forums
handyman

Your views on how to promote the pk server and what would you change

IMO, it's only a question of marketing, I play the PK and I love it (I also have a main char which I play occasionally so don't give me no BS about not being able to make in on main :P), the advantges are as previously stated, no cool down, etc, etc. for example, everything is ALWAYS free, the ogres in Melinis and PV are always there, you can always do whatever you want, there is no spam (a certain deficit in bots is accepted, without handy and bkc we would be in trouble - thanks guys :) ), given - for those who want to chat then the PK server is a little bit dry but for those who just want to play in peace and quiet there is no alternative, it's the best :). I mean the 5 bucks for the character is a joke, the dollar is in the cellar (just another small joke), it's not more that a couple of beers, the best suggestion I saw was that everyone that was banned from main for multi should get a PK "char" was funny but good, here you can have as many as your comp can support (I play with 2/3)(have you any idea how much you can harvest with 2/3 chars and we won't even talk about 5/6!). The suggestion that the PK should be on the opening site equal with main is a good one, the differences are not just "PK", that is only a small part, the game is different, free, very little moderating (a few more invasions would be perhaps appreciated guys, thanks, and thanks for those in the past, 1000 ogres and polar bears for 3 players is fun!) - let's just say that the PK server is great!, it is much more an individual game, you get out what you put in, here you can only buy the basics, you want to level - get to work. :), but here you can level, anyway you want.

I would, to be honest, only change the signing on, you should be able to go for PK or main from the start - PK is the best.

The fact that most on PK mix is irrelevant, anyone who wants to PK CAN, of course they have to accept a certain amount of moaning - get real that also belongs to the game (Woodeh come back :)). All in all, the Pk server is great the way it is, we just need to sell it, it's not main with PK as main always had PK for those who wanted it, it is quite simply different, a game where the players decide what is acceptable or not, and is then ignored from those who want to, is great, welcome to chaos, you can do whatever you want here! Have fun, we do.

Possible suggestion, If you want people to be able to actually PK faster then is it possible to double the xp from A/D only? This would allow those skills alone to lvl much faster then the others allowing people to "get in the battle". Other skills should stay the same though as that is not the focus.

dunno just a toss out there and see what you think about it, takes some challenge out of the actual a/d lvling but if your drawing people from the main server it allows them to feel as though it's not another 2 years before they can stand on level ground with others already on server. Then if they choose they can lvl the other skills or just kill for resources and trade with mixers/guild as it really should be.

I do not want the cooldown back on rings and potions. All you guys have had it to easily level up magic and a/d. You guys could farm yeti and up all day, and by the time i get around those levels it would be gone? So i would be stuck on fluffy? No ty :)

I like the server just the way it is.

just my 2 ounces of whine.

I do not want the cooldown back on rings and potions. All you guys have had it to easily level up magic and a/d. You guys could farm yeti and up all day, and by the time i get around those levels it would be gone? So i would be stuck on fluffy? No ty :)

This is EXACTLY the kind of opinion that should be 100% ignored when discussing changes to a game.

"I don't care if it's good for the game as a whole, I'm against it because it'll be harder for me than it was for others"

I can understand the feeling of 'unfairness', but the game's balance as a cohesive whole must be made the priority, or in the long run it will fail.

NO Cooldown - Will remove even more of the uniqueness of he pk-server

If u want Cooldown, go to main

Yep thats where we are, thats where we will stay I suppose

Enjoy pking your alts and learners ants

I cant farm yeti :)

It is already easyer for new players to level up in a/d/magic for very straightforward reasons.

But uhm yeah, if PK-MAIN are the same cept for the pking part, I don't think many will join cuz they can PK on main too....

Lol proh, soo true.. i can't believe people are actually asking for cooldown,

like asking for mini-events,

or, a paperclip that gives u help ingame B)

@t wizzy

:) Well u'r free 2 try n pk me, as i don't have alts :D

Edited by RotationZ

wizzy is right.

As long as even the main server has too few ppl (at least new ones), there is simply no real need for a 'pk'-server, even more so, when the differences are as small as they are now (ack to Korrode).

The attempts to make the pk server more attractive cant work this way imho.....

regards

NO Cooldown - Will remove even more of the uniqueness of he pk-server

If u want Cooldown, go to main

There are 3 Players Online:</FONT>

bkc56 kaldoon Tonerco

I guess its ant killing time or i could kick my own alts from my guild and pk them how unique is that.

Or if i stay online long enough i might find someone to sit on a bag of srs with me and we can trade punches until we get bored then go pk the ants :)

RotationZ

(1) Why do you think putting cooldown back just on pots and rings is a bad thing?

(2) What is your answer to making this server more popular and increasing its player base

Handy

Edited by handyman

Free for a month, perhaps. Or a two-week trial like some other mmorpgs do. Or both.

The most important differences from MAIN:

-Mostly PK

-No cooldown

-Less players

-Different economy

If the PK-server is more like MAIN-server, just with less players and more PK-maps it will feel like a TEST-server...

Cooldown also means stronger players have a huge advantage over weaker players in PvP.

Cooldown takes out the fun in killing high end mobs and large invasions. Higher risk means less people will want to fight those mobs or PvP (look at main, that is just how it works).

Putting back Cooldown scares away 'some' players who will think they miss the advantage others have had (and yes that IS a valid 'opinion' since it reflects xx% of the potential playerbase!).

Ice dragon really isn't 'easy' if you spend 1500 EMU killing one and death is caused by one single lag... Yeti is the practical limit here, but I bet Phantoms give better profits. And I don't care what you kill on no-break days...

There are not enough players to do PvP matches in full gear every day so live with it, if that is the only thing you care about this server is not for you. If there is nothing fun to do, I bet you cannot 'farm' any strong mobs or you would have something to do :)

WHAT does cooldown ADD to the PK-server, and what does it take away? Does it add more in value then it removes?

Partial solutions that I think ARE worth the effort;

-Remove minimum level requirement instances OR alternatively remove the minimum of 5 people limit.

-Increase #day of invasions (a lot), less/no moderated invasions required. People rush in to kill the 'special' mobs and loose rostogols in the progress.

-Increased delay between spells IN combat. (from 2 seconds to 5?)

-Partial cooldown, to be determined by players. (boost pots, rings, a few seconds on pots) [i heard this was not gonna happen...]

Additions that I think are NOT worth the effort but will still be favorable for the player-base;

-Increased Binding Stones rate, or add them to the shop (for high price)

-Arenas are now 'capped', add an a/d cap of 60 to VOTD. (reduced advantage to higher levels)

-Boot all players who ever post anything in the PK forums from the MAIN-server for 1 week.

-Make the server free (hopefully more income from the shop to offset the 5$/char).

So we still do not know what CAN be done by developers, besides the radical introduction of cooldown on EVERYTHING.

Edit; Double posted...

Edited by ProHibited

While I don't play on the PK server myself, I think it would be a good idea for the Player & Ants to both get Exp for fighting with the Ants. Unlike PvP training, it's hard to abuse PvP with ants since they don't train like other players would, preventing abuse.

Prohibited

i do understand your post but i can see how it will improve the player base

And a lot of the changes you have posted will take a lot of work in the programing side of things (they are not little tweaks)

Your views on how to promote the pk server and what would you change was the topic

But we are not seeing ways to promote and make this server a busier one. But more a case of we don't want to get rid of this, or, we don't want that.

The way the server is speaks for its self and maybe a post on the mains forum asking mains players what they would change to make them want to come here would have got a more positive response.

If one man can kill the top mob and yes easily, at A/D 100 that says it all. I don't need anyones help if i want to get a dragon scale.

Pking the ants or the odd harvester is all this server is seeing of pking and when two high end players meet they just trade srs's the dis and tele.

You are now a top player on this server and in a straight fight I also being a top player would not be able to Pk you. So how would say a 60 a/d player or two be able to defeat you. With cool down just on rings and pots the 60 a/d player would have more of a chance and not less to pk you.

At the end of the day if you guys want to be on an empty server playing the game all on your own, killing high end mobs pking harvesters and ants, then you already have that.

But if you want to build the player base, have players to talk to and play the game with then you will have to listen to what the prospective players are saying they would want.

Also how long will Ent keep putting his hand in his own pocket to pay for a server that runs at a loss?

Learner

Its a small change but if the players and the ants got exp from fighting each other then it might turn the ants into a sort of resource which players might compete for so yeah its a good idea. (Just like the mercury spawn used to do) "I know I speek for everyone here bring back the merc :) "

PvP exp was taken away from this server when it started because on the test Pk server players were using their alts to help boost there own A/D and even myself and SL7 devised a method to get us up to 30 a/d in the first day or so using very little ings.

But with just players and ants get exp from each other i cant see this being a problem.

There you go another Idea pvp exp being put back on.

(1) New players will be able to level faster

(2) They will also be pkable whilst doing it :)

(3) wont effect players who play now

Handy

Edited by handyman

This is EXACTLY the kind of opinion that should be 100% ignored when discussing changes to a game.

"I don't care if it's good for the game as a whole, I'm against it because it'll be harder for me than it was for others"

I can understand the feeling of 'unfairness', but the game's balance as a cohesive whole must be made the priority, or in the long run it will fail.

I know it's whining, but i just like the game as it is atm. It reminds me of the old EL. I dont care if some fights result in a draw because there is no cooldown. If this all returns and the game becomes like the main server, there is no point for me staying on pk server.

I know it's whining, but i just like the game as it is atm. It reminds me of the old EL. I dont care if some fights result in a draw because there is no cooldown. If this all returns and the game becomes like the main server, there is no point for me staying on pk server.

Old EL didnt have a max of 3-10 people playing,

Old EL didnt have half of the stuff we now have on this server

Old EL had old school pk which meant players could pk each other

Like I said in my last post if you guys want to be on an empty server playing the game all on your own, killing high end mobs pking harvesters and ants, then you already have that.

But if you want to build the player base, have players to talk to and play the game with then you will have to listen to what the prospective players are saying they would want.

Me too, it's just fine

you wont be fine if Ent decides he is fed up with makin a loss on this server and ends it (which he is quite in his right to do).

Handy

THE way to get more PK is very simple and straightforward and has been proven on the PK-server in the past. Hurt your opponent personally, call em names, say they cant PK, call them whiners. Just make up stuff along the way!

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...=king&st=40

Handy, you act like COOLDOWN is the only solution. In my mind I really do not see COOLDOWN as a solution at all, I think it will worsen the situation.

Edited by ProHibited

THE way to get more PK is very simple and straightforward and has been proven on the PK-server in the past. Hurt your opponent personally, call em names, say they cant PK, call them whiners. Just make up stuff along the way!

Handy, you act like COOLDOWN is the only solution. In my mind I really do not see COOLDOWN as a solution at all, I think it will worsen the situation.

This might get someone to attack you but its imposible to pk anyone if you have reached the 100 A/D cap

I have come up with different ideas and so have other people but the cooldown idea came from mains players and they are right with no cooldown on pots and rings Pk is useless.

I tested something the other day

Gave a mate the EL link and told him to make an account on the PK server just to see how hard it is

First he rang me and said I have done it: He had d/loaded the game and got an account on the main server not the Pk server

I told him to go back to the main page and click on the Pk server in the left hand column under game not d/loads.

He rang again saying he found the Pk server bit and read the rules and other posts went back to the main page clicked on the shop button to pay for an account only to find it had a Paypal button. I don't have Paypal he said.

Then I tried to tell him what he needed to do how to change the exe so he could even access the Pk server. He basically though I was taking the pi$$ and said no wonder the server is empty.

This proves it, as it stands now, our only new player base comes from the main server. So either listen to what they say they would want to join or find ways to get new players that have never played EL before.

And that gos back to my original suggestion about having our own button along side the mains EL one and promoting both servers together

Handy

hahaha gotta love taking the piss. it worked better on the PK server then it did on main for me. <3

Based on Handy's post above maybe what you should consider then is this:

(I'm not sure how much control Ent. gives you on promoting the PK server this way but here it is)

A)Create your own page completely separate from the standard EL Page with your own Download/Information that includes the already modified start up for loading directly to PK server(although I saw in programming forum Ent. wanted a log in screen to choose between servers so this might be obsolete soon dunno.)

-In this you can refer to EL but don't focus on things like "we are the same as EL except we have no cooldown" etc, Just promote your server like it's a game in and of itself not directly linked to EL, Link to your forums here on that site, your active players page, bots pages on hosted bots etc.

B)Have your own shop page (that still pays Ent. somehow)

-I have never liked the layout of the EL shop page it does not promote easy access for anything and has no standard input layout like enter your ingame name here or log in with your user name to purchase as most sites do.

C)Find some ways to cheaply advertise the PK server on sites marketing it as a different game linking to your above newly made site. make you tube video, find friends with webcomics, post on facebook/twitter, post it on MMO websites separately from the EL posts, whatever just link it and actively promote it like a marketing campaign. This might include giving away some of the orphaned accounts you've recently acquired to perk peoples interest, or try it free for two weeks with those accounts if you can set up something with Ent. on that front.

-Might have to spend some of your own gc here as to get it going but i wouldn't spend to much, there are many cheap ways with social media to promote these things.

It will be hard I think as you don't currently have a sizable player base to draw from that people will want to pay to play with out knowing what they are getting in to. Which is why you mainly draw from the main server atm. But if you make it attractive to play you can gain players. That's why I suggest two week free trials etc. like other major games do WoW etc. but you will have to have a way to regulate it (lock the account if no fee paid after trial etc.).

This doesn't change the game play at all and no major server rewrites just some things you can do to promote the server as you say title.

Edit: You might also consider coming up with a name other then just: t3h pk server

Edited by Elf_Ninja

Based on Handy's post above maybe what you should consider then is this:

(I'm not sure how much control Ent. gives you on promoting the PK server this way but here it is)

A)Create your own page completely separate from the standard EL Page with your own Download/Information that includes the already modified start up for loading directly to PK server(although I saw in programming forum Ent. wanted a log in screen to choose between servers so this might be obsolete soon dunno.)

-In this you can refer to EL but don't focus on things like "we are the same as EL except we have no cooldown" etc, Just promote your server like it's a game in and of itself not directly linked to EL, Link to your forums here on that site, your active players page, bots pages on hosted bots etc.

B)Have your own shop page (that still pays Ent. somehow)

-I have never liked the layout of the EL shop page it does not promote easy access for anything and has no standard input layout like enter your ingame name here or log in with your user name to purchase as most sites do.

C)Find some ways to cheaply advertise the PK server on sites marketing it as a different game linking to your above newly made site. make you tube video, find friends with webcomics, post on facebook/twitter, post it on MMO websites separately from the EL posts, whatever just link it and actively promote it like a marketing campaign. This might include giving away some of the orphaned accounts you've recently acquired to perk peoples interest, or try it free for two weeks with those accounts if you can set up something with Ent. on that front.

-Might have to spend some of your own gc here as to get it going but i wouldn't spend to much, there are many cheap ways with social media to promote these things.

It will be hard I think as you don't currently have a sizable player base to draw from that people will want to pay to play with out knowing what they are getting in to. Which is why you mainly draw from the main server atm. But if you make it attractive to play you can gain players. That's why I suggest two week free trials etc. like other major games do WoW etc. but you will have to have a way to regulate it (lock the account if no fee paid after trial etc.).

This doesn't change the game play at all and no major server rewrites just some things you can do to promote the server as you say title.

Edit: You might also consider coming up with a name other then just: t3h pk server

We have our own unofficial blog page at the moment that segor set up for us but good idea's thanks Elf_Ninja will have to look into those promoting idea's

Would be much easier if we had our own Loggin screen to save having to change the exe file

Also if we could convince Ent to make the first char free and then pay for alts it would give new players immediate access to the game and not have to wait for Ent to process the request

Thanks again

Handy

I have skimmed through both discussion threads and tried to create a list of all the suggestions made. This is not a voting list as this is just to much stuff, but I thinkit's a fair summary. I did exclude a few items that would require more extensive server changes which Radu is not interested in doing at this time.

And a personal note: I do not agree with some of these, but that's not the purpose of this post.

Master list of potential PK server changes:

• Make the Pk server a free server
  • Make the first character per person free
  • Allow a 1-week (or month) free trial period
  • Add a choose server button when starting EL (tool is already implemented)
  • More equal promotion of both servers
  • Add cooldown to all items except food (fruits, veggies)
  • Remove BoD and BroD
  • Remove Dragon armors
  • Remove nexus removal stones
  • Remove nexus buying
  • Increase chances of special #days
  • Return TI/Steel armor and greater sword NPCs
  • Remove attribute cap
  • Raise a/d cap to 120
  • Increase odds of finding/mixing rare stones and enriched essence
  • Allow rare stones and enriched essence to be purchased from shop
  • Remove multi-play (would require mods on the PK server)
  • Allow PvP experience
  • Remove or lowers minimum a/d for instances
  • Remove the 5 person minimum for instances
  • Restore merc spawn (as a PK hot-spot)
  • Scale a/d experience based on OA or A/D so new players can catch up faster

Thanks Bkc maybe now its time to here from Radu

To see what he would be prepared to change and also what ideas he might have

Two things i think all of us agree we don't want to loose on the Pk server is the no cooldown on fruit and veg also legal multi-play

Also

Allow PvP experience

It was suggested that maybe just in certain area's like pk arena's or certain maps. This would make leveling A/D faster but would also leave the player more vulnerable to being Pked :P

Handy