Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ateh

Traffic in NC Near Storage

I remember a thread years ago about this but cant find it, iirc it is ment to be annoying, Personaly i think the rock should stay it is sometimes actually funny and normally theres nothing funny about walking. I would like to see market areas around all those bots though.

A market place outside of the walls just seems wrong.

Making an entrance to the city right outside sto (so the distance to walk from the storage door to inside the city is much shorter) and placing said market just inside the city would probably work well.

Like this:

nc_market.jpg

Red = Rock to be removed

Green = New City Gate

Blue = Market stall placements

I'm pretty sure that with that new gate, mapwalking from votd sign to NC sto would take you right through the market area, so would still be the prime bot location the walkway is now.

EDIT: heh also, if my proposal were done, you could probably leave the rock, as it wouldn't be as higher traffic walkway anymore :)

Edited by Korrode

I'm pretty sure that with that new gate, mapwalking from votd sign to NC sto would take you right through the market area, so would still be the prime bot location the walkway is now.

EDIT: heh also, if my proposal were done, you could probably leave the rock, as it wouldn't be as higher traffic walkway anymore :)

The rock is no problem mapwalking to VOTD, we go north and then east - not passing the rock or most of the bots.

The problem comes if you want to go to WS and it's much more used - people going to Mira or diamond cave.

The rock is no problem mapwalking to VOTD, we go north and then east - not passing the rock or most of the bots.

ahh yeah true... i actually forgot, as so often i enter NC from votd, walk to a bot in the alley, and then to sto.

Nonetheless, still think the changes would be good.

Edited by Korrode

Save the rock, move the bots!

I like the rock, don't like the bots. They really should have a market stall made for them, I agree with DHT.

Korrode's idea solves other issues as well as the one that started this thread. Do what he said.

(but dont just delete the rock in the way, put it somewhere where you can go and sit next to it and remember that damn rock that caused so much trouble - maybe give it something to say in console when you use the eye cursor on it) - adds a bit of history and depth.

It reminds me to the bridge in DP, when only one player was able to walk on the bridge :medieval:

If someone is blocking the path, just ask a mod to have her or him booted :)

Edited by DrMabuse

(but dont just delete the rock in the way, put it somewhere where you can go and sit next to it and remember that damn rock that caused so much trouble - maybe give it something to say in console when you use the eye cursor on it) - adds a bit of history and depth.

"The Sorcerers and Mighty Warriors of EL on The 21st day in the month of Chimar, the year 0021, Age of the Eternals, moved this great rock to help reshape Draia to better serve it's inhabitants."

I like the rock, don't like the bots. They really should have a market stall made for them, I agree with DHT.

the rock is still a problem, even if bots were moved. The south path must be 2 ppl broad, not only 1.

the rock is still a problem, even if bots were moved. The south path must be 2 ppl broad, not only 1.

As I said, I like the rock there. I'd be more inclined to say the problem isn't the rock, but people's impatience and mapwalking ;)

As I said, I like the rock there. I'd be more inclined to say the problem isn't the rock, but people's impatience and mapwalking ;)

I see your point of view... but everyone mapwalks all the time, it's part of the game, and impatience is a fairly common human trait, so seems futile to leave it there out of a want to make some kind of point.

I see your point of view... but everyone mapwalks all the time, it's part of the game, and impatience is a fairly common human trait, so seems futile to leave it there out of a want to make some kind of point.

I don't see it so much about proving a point, as that I enjoy the fact that every map is unique and has it's own quirks and personality. Left to some people's devices, EL would be empty of character...it would only be about the fastest empty path to the closest storage, no trees to hinder monster fighting, every stat documented and plotted, nothing left to chance and nothing to hinder maximum time/exp/effort/gc put out. It's annoying, really, some of these suggestions.

I don't see it so much about proving a point, as that I enjoy the fact that every map is unique and has it's own quirks and personality.

Well i'm thinking everyone's going o have their own definition of "quirks and personality".

It's a fine line to walk between "quirk" and "just annoying".

Left to some people's devices, EL would be empty of character...it would only be about the fastest empty path to the closest storage, no trees to hinder monster fighting, every stat documented and plotted, nothing left to chance and nothing to hinder maximum time/exp/effort/gc put out. It's annoying, really, some of these suggestions.

Well i think all that's going beyond the scope of an annoying rock...

I enjoy some RP aspects of games, I think variety and variation is a good thing, but if "variation" is considered to be performing a mundane, repetitive series of 10 mouse button clicks, and reducing that to a series of 6 clicks is "anti-variation", then i most certainly don't agree.

I don't see it so much about proving a point, as that I enjoy the fact that every map is unique and has it's own quirks and personality.

Well i'm thinking everyone's going o have their own definition of "quirks and personality".

It's a fine line to walk between "quirk" and "just annoying".

Left to some people's devices, EL would be empty of character...it would only be about the fastest empty path to the closest storage, no trees to hinder monster fighting, every stat documented and plotted, nothing left to chance and nothing to hinder maximum time/exp/effort/gc put out. It's annoying, really, some of these suggestions.

Well i think all that's going beyond the scope of an annoying rock...

I enjoy some RP aspects of games, I think variety and variation is a good thing, but if "variation" is considered to be performing a mundane, repetitive series of 10 mouse button clicks, and reducing that to a series of 6 clicks is "anti-variation", then i most certainly don't agree.

I don't see this rock falling into that category :) (And it depends which 6 out of the 10 clicks is removed as well ;) )

The phenomenon is a map walking bug and should be reported as such.

I agree, but even treated as such, which of these possible solutions do you think is most likely to be applied to resolve said bug?:

A. Re-work the mapwalking system.

B. Write in custom workaround for mapwalking system for that area of NC.

C. Remove/reduce the size of said rock.

This post is not meant as a flame, and is not even addressed at Aislinn in person, although I am referring to a quote of hers. It's meant to point out one of the things that has resulted in many people leaving EL so far. Nothing personal, just what I find from talking to others.

EL, in many ways is already a lot slower paced than other games out there. Although the kind of player that tends to stick around in EL doesn't necessarily value a fast pace, little things like this -taking away the 'annoyance' that clearly a part of the active community has- would certainly help in making people a little bit happier. If you wanna play EL properly (whatever that means), there are plenty of other challenges to overcome, plenty of other things to use your brain for. And if you want to mapwalk to storage for a minute and not have to be sent around that rock 3 times before you can pass, I think that's something that can easily be solved. And I honestly doubt that by adding 1 extra walkable tile, all character will be gone from EL, as for the biggest part, character is brought by the people playing the game.

I just don't see why every little imperfection has to stay an imperfection at all cost, in some people's views. At times it's the small things that keep people happy and around, it doesn't always require introduction of new items/skills.

Ok Dilly, lets take that concept and run with it.

Remember channel 8? "The people" wanted that too. So I nagged and nagged and nagged to get it for you and "the people" and now nobody uses it. All those people really didn't care after all.

One thread with a few people saying "yeah! I like that a lot! Do it!" really does not indicate the majority, as has been proven.

Now on to the rock.

What bug? The fact the path is wide enough for only one person to walk through? Not a bug.

A character walking around the rock when something is on that one tile? Not a bug.

A character "stuck" going back and forth or around and around when mapwalking is used and then not paid attention to? Not a bug, the character has to go somewhere since it was told to mapwalk and forgotten about.

Not a bug, although some people might not like it, that doesn't make it a bug.

Remember channel 8? "The people" wanted that too. So I nagged and nagged and nagged to get it for you and "the people" and now nobody uses it. All those people really didn't care after all.

One thread with a few people saying "yeah! I like that a lot! Do it!" really does not indicate the majority, as has been proven.

Now on to the rock.

What bug? The fact the path is wide enough for only one person to walk through? Not a bug.

A character walking around the rock when something is on that one tile? Not a bug.

A character "stuck" going back and forth or around and around when mapwalking is used and then not paid attention to? Not a bug, the character has to go somewhere since it was told to mapwalk and forgotten about.

I didn't call anything a bug so I'm not gonna respond to the last part of your post. As for Channel 8, it would have been a smashing succes IF it had become the invasion channel as well, and I think that that was the initial idea, no?

Now on to the rock.

I didn't call anything a bug so I'm not gonna respond to the last part of your post. As for Channel 8, it would have been a smashing succes IF it had become the invasion channel as well, and I think that that was the initial idea, no?

Umm that was up to the people using it. I don't understand that comment, what automated announcements are in 6 that were missing from 8? The idea was to lose the pk announcements and chat and keep lenny, right? Then everyone interested would leave 6 and go to 8 and still chat about invasions.

As the saying goes, you can't please all of the people all of the time. For that matter, seems some people one can never please.

Now on to the rock.

Umm that was up to the people using it. I don't understand that comment, what automated announcements are in 6 that were missing from 8? The idea was to lose the pk announcements and chat and keep lenny, right? Then everyone interested would leave 6 and go to 8 and still chat about invasions.

As the saying goes, you can't please all of the people all of the time. For that matter, seems some people one can never please.

Yet if announcements from the people hosting the invasions only get posted in channel 6, it's inevitable that people stick around in 6, and not use 8 to further discuss it. It's exactly what happened after 8 got introduced.

As for anything else I have to say, it would just get deleted so I'll keep that to myself, as I DID appreciate the effort put in by several people to get channel 8 in game, and don't want to take away from that.

This isn't about the bots though (but I do like Korrode's idea). +1 Korrode ^^

This is about the rock. And I agree. Pain in the arse to have to get the mix-up there ;)

sorry to say that, Aislinn, but in this point you are just wrong ;)

In an MMORPG near a store and on a path you need to go often, this is just one of the unnecessary inconveniences.

You always argue, that there is inconveniences that are nice and should stay, i agree, but this one is not one of those.

Pls lets make the path have one more tile, dont defend this buggy case.

For the other argument: this path is too narrow even if i dont mapwalk. The fact that you dont like mapwalking has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that players cant pass through this narrow path, but often need to.

regards

Edited by Gilrain