Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Liquid

Interest(ing)

Hi,

I would like to suggest a bank in EL every player can drop some/all their money their and they will receive interest over their balance, just like real life!

So all players can make a little more money then normal. But.....

Every once in a while a bank gets robbed.

So that will also happen in EL, the robber should be something like a NPC(Joker) that can be caught by a player, and will be rewarded with a percentage of the sum the robber stole.

So let me put it together again in a different way:

I bring my money to the bank : 1000 GC

The bank pays me interest: 2 %

Total interest: 20 GC

Bank robber: takes 0,5 % from all bank accounts (in my case only 5GC)

Player who will find the robber will get 10% of what the robber took.

The rest (90%) could be A- Lost in action B- Spent in a Shimmy bar C- Returned to the bank

Of course the EL management have better insight in the percentage/money-flow etc. So I'll leave that to them.

The general idea is that even the freshest player can make a little money due to the interest the bank provides. And all players can chase the robber down and earn money that way. So besides a little extra money you got a returning quest. (Robber Chasing Quest)

The robber quest could be very rewarding just like the lottery, but that's depending on you and how much money you are willing to put on your bank account!

I don't have my EL facts together but you could get the interest say every EL year, and the robber WILL come by also every year(or more). That way the EL management can influence the money the bank drops in the game. And still keep it interesting and rewarding, instead of everybody stopping from logging in to EL for the next (real) year just to get interest.

Again in figures:

Total bank accounts: 10.000.000,00 GC

Robber takes 0,5%: 50.000,00

Player who catches robber 10%: 5.000,00

Lets see... 500 people have at least 3k in this bank thats 1.5mil... I think it is any ways. The bank rober takes 0.5% that is 7.5k gc, the person who finds him will get 10%, which is 750gc. Not bad considering you could just happen upon him. And if no one finds him by the next time he robs the bank it could stack.

I like the idea personally.

Edited by Kalix

Like the idea of rotting fruit or any other item changing over time in storage (it has been suggested for things like EFE, stones, etc), it would require a decision on when to apply the change. Does it happen only when the person is online or for every month or what? If it applies even in months that the player is not online, they could log out, come back 2 years later and be a bit richer. This would be a bad thing. Doing it over time that the person is online would be best.

Banks and storages that could be robbed was in another game that I played about 7 years ago. It seemed to be a popular notion in that game. Some liked to actually rob the bank themselves and some liked to kill the bank robbers.

This is an interesting concept, however I doubt anybody would want to go find an NPC to drop off 3000 gc for a year in order to earn 60gc (2%) interest. Even depositing 1M gc would only net 20k gc in interest. The interest would have to be compounded far more often than annually for this to be worthwhile for any player. With that said, if the odds are that players will earn interest at a greater rate than a bank robber would rob it, the end result would be inflation.

I briefly thought of something like a CD as an alternative, (e.g. an NPC which paid out 1% monthly, but charged a 2% fee if you need to take out your gc before a 1 month period) but it wouldn't work well either. This idea would be counterproductive to the EL market, as consumers with spare gc will often buy luxury items from other players vs. saving up gc to earn even more interest. Liquidity is not something richer players would tend to care about.

This is an interesting concept, however I doubt anybody would want to go find an NPC to drop off 3000 gc for a year in order to earn 60gc (2%) interest. Even depositing 1M gc would only net 20k gc in interest. The interest would have to be compounded far more often than annually for this to be worthwhile for any player. With that said, if the odds are that players will earn interest at a greater rate than a bank robber would rob it, the end result would be inflation.

I briefly thought of something like a CD as an alternative, (e.g. an NPC which paid out 1% monthly, but charged a 2% fee if you need to take out your gc before a 1 month period) but it wouldn't work well either. This idea would be counterproductive to the EL market, as consumers with spare gc will often buy luxury items from other players vs. saving up gc to earn even more interest. Liquidity is not something richer players would tend to care about.

Don't hang on to the exampled figures & rates I gave, it's just an example! Set your minds free and look at the concept.

I also thought about the inflation. But maybe you or other player could come with ideas around this AAA-Bank. We could introduce an other event besides the bank robber. The bank could burn down, losing x% of your money. Or the bank could supply an insureance for your money with a fixed amount of premium

so in case of fire/robber your GC are save or at least a percentage.

Banks also loan money and charge interest. They even take collateral for loans and keep it if you don't pay them back. Well, real banks do anyways. EL banks would have trouble determining value of collateral, so taking collateral for loans would be hard. Hmmmm.....but they could call you a thief and send out bounty hunters to kill you if you don't pay up. Any death bag items they keep could be removed from the game. People with bounties on their head would be anti-social and their interacting with an npc may result in a bounty hunter roaming the map 5 minutes later.

Banks also loan money and charge interest. They even take collateral for loans and keep it if you don't pay them back. Well, real banks do anyways. EL banks would have trouble determining value of collateral, so taking collateral for loans would be hard. Hmmmm.....but they could call you a thief and send out bounty hunters to kill you if you don't pay up. Any death bag items they keep could be removed from the game. People with bounties on their head would be anti-social and their interacting with an npc may result in a bounty hunter roaming the map 5 minutes later.

Loans is a NON-option for the EL AAA-bank, because of real life fraud (create a dummy character, take loan, drop loan in bag, pick it up with your own character) But i like the idea of an bounty on your head, maybe a new tread?

Loans is a NON-option for the EL AAA-bank, because of real life fraud (create a dummy character, take loan, drop loan in bag, pick it up with your own character) But i like the idea of an bounty on your head, maybe a new tread?

I like the idea of the search function of these forums. Please use it.