Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
morrigan

Annoying point about bots

Over the past few days I have, a few times, gone to bots to sell them stuff that they have been advertising they want to buy on market channel.

Only to find....they dont have enough gc to buy the stuff they are advertising for!!!

I dont know about you but I find this incredibly annoying.

Is there a feature that you can use to find out how much funding a bot has at any given time...if there isnt I think serious consideration should be given to implement one

moan moan whinge whinge I feel much better for that rant - thank you for reading

Bots are different from each other, this behaviour may be common to some bots, but it is not a universal feature. For example, the code base I'm using for my own bots (based on OnyxA's code) does not allow you to put a buy order unless you have enough money on the bot - and then, the necessary amount of money is "locked" for that purchase, so it is always guaranteed that the bot will have enough gc.

Since the problem you mentioned depends on a particular bot (and possibly on the way it is configured), your best course is probably to leave a message to the bot owner, which is usually somehow documented by the bot itself - it's not something that can be cured on a "global" level.

At a very least, you could add the name of the bots to your post, so the owner(s) are aware of the problem.

My bots are smart enough that they won't advertise if they don't have enough gc, slots, or EMU to make a purchase, and will adjust their desired qty based on all three.

Keep in mind, that sometimes a bots gc might also be spent between the ad and when you get there as well. One good reason for bot owners to keep a lot of spare gc on their bots.

Also keep in mind that if you get there and you can't get all the gc you needed, you might be able to get some items off the bot. For some bot owners, this might actually be a feature since they may want to force you to buy some items from them to give them some profit to justify a cheap price.

Also keep in mind that if you get there and you can't get all the gc you needed, you might be able to get some items off the bot. For some bot owners, this might actually be a feature since they may want to force you to buy some items from them to give them some profit to justify a cheap price.

This is one of the most stupid things I have ever heard..

Sorry nathan but seriously you can't expect people to be happy to travel to another continent to visit a bot that is advertising the purchase of certain items only to have the bot not have the gold coin to cover it.

And then on top of that you expect that to "force you to buy some items" from a bot that already has made you upset?

If anything, the way you put that seems more like extortion. (I lied to get you here now buy my items because you are already here)

:bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

If bot owners advertise for items they would like to buy with their bots then I feel like they have a responsibility to keep enough gold coin on the bot to cover the purchase. I can tell you one thing for sure...

If people go to sell an item to a bot that the bot has advertised as purchasing but does not have the gold coin to cover it then that bot is going to loose a customer every time. Nobody is going to make another trip across continents or even a single map change if they know that they have gone to that bot before and wasted time in doing so because the owner could not keep the gold coin needed for the items they requested.

wow , false advertising feature ......... I like !!

LOL Paul, I didn't say it was right. I just said some bot owners may find it to be a feature and why.

By the way, there was an issue with PEPA either not having the gc for an item or no gc at all or not having a slot open to buy something.....something like that.

At any rate, having it track how much gc it has and not advertising as buying whatever if it does not have the money would require more programming. It may be difficult for some to implement the idea of checking gc levels before advertising as buying stuff.

The other annoying thing about this is that it distorts market prices.

I have tried buying from market at what I consider a fair price only to have the seller tell me so and so bot buys for a higher amount. When in reality the other bot didn't have the gc to pay. The particular Item was binding stones a few weeks ago.