Eternal Lands Official Forums
forever

Blind People Playing Video Games

Ok let me give you a basic overview of the story.

Over a year ago, myself and a few other Zelda fans ran across a guy named Jordan Verner. He lives in Canada. He was born blind. He uses a program called JAWS to access his computer, I have seen this program, heard it, used it, and know that it exists and know that it is possible for a visually disabled person to access a computer and use it.

Anyway. In his life he ran across video games. He was never able to actually play the games but using stereo sound was able to fight some bosses and mini bosses in various games. I've seen him do this as well. He made a request to all the people who watched some of his videos on YouTube (I'll post links later) for people who would be willing to try and help him figure out a method of actually PLAYING the game. The game he has liked the most has been Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, a game I'm sure most people who know me ingame know I am a die hard fan of. So naturally I was intrigued.

We got into it and using skype for various conferences and talks managed to come up with a lot of various methods to play the game with OUT sight. Something that has to my knowledge never been done. If you post a link here of a guy playing a fighting game, I know of this guy, he has nothing to do with this. He did not beat us to the punch, he played fighting games with stereo sounds and it is in no way an RPG like Zelda. Anyway. We started this over a year ago and each of us various YouTubers, mostly myself and Runnerguy2489 from YouTube (also known as Drew). I'll post links to some of our work in a bit.

After a year, we finally finished the game late November 09'. 100% Zelda completed using our various methods. The first time (to my knowledge) that ANY RPG has been beaten start to finish with out the line of sight. I've done this countless times on my 64 and Gamecube, covering my eyes with a blind fold and sitting with my back to the T.V. and doing various things that we came up with.

We put it all together. We each typed up an individual 'script' telling you every maneuver and every method we came up with to get from point A. to point B. He used JAWs to read our typed up script and was able to play the game the way any other person would. A lot of people will consider this cheating and not good at all because he's guided, but i'll be the first to tell you stfu I don't want to hear it. A very very awesome person was able to do something he was never able to do before.

Our story eventually made it to the news. Locally for now but we are intending to expand it nationally and hopefully one day Globally. We are discussing with Guiness about a record holding as well. The first group of people to ever complete a game with out actually looking at the screen.

Here is a link to the story that I did with my local news station (Fox). http://www.midlandsconnect.com/news/money/...5&id=386225

There is a video as well, where you can see me demonstrating the way we do things with my back to the T.V.

Our intentions are to share this with people we know so that more people will know about our venture. We want people to see what he (Jordan) has accomplished with effort and hard work. We will be doing a lot of other games (currently working on Majora's Mask) and will be doing videos and such to go along with it.

We also intend, to open a business for this type of thing. Creating Visually Impaired guidebooks for the games that we have completed. We offer our master scripts (copy written) for sale. Although, it the details haven't been worked out. If you are interested in that or anything just email me. ( Stricken303@hotmail.com )

Here are some videos of our journey and what we have done. Note, that the videos do not show us doing the entire game. Jordan himself did the entire game. Drew and I only did some parts that we individually worked on.

His YouTube link is http://www.youtube.com/genuinescorruption

Drew's YouTube link is http://www.youtube.com/Runnerguy2489

My YouTube was http://www.youtube.com/Linkfreak12 but is now http://www.youtube.com/StrickeN303 (the blind run videos are on Linkfreak12 account.

Cool :D

Where i work is a blind guy, who is working as a programmer. He is using a Braille terminal for work, meaning, he has a tool where he can read one line with his fingers, whats on the screen and using a wheel to scroll up and down.

And he was addicted to Tetris, when it was very popular ;)

Piper

Here a few videos of me doing one of the Hardest parts in Zelda Blind folded.

My job in the team of guys was to do the hard stuff. IE: Fire temple / castle escapes / Jabu jabu / castle trials etc. You can watch him do them and see my methods if you look at hi channel.

Here is the parts that I did in Jabu

http://www.youtube.com/Linkfreak12#p/u/29/C_WLKtPIInA

Some of my screaming aside those were some of my favorites ;)

I'm amazed at this. This is honestly awesome. I'd love to help with this, if I can, as someone who has eye sight problems myself, would be more than happy to help. Please let me know if I can do anything AS.

haha nice RJ, good to see lifes looking up for you. keep up the good work, maybe you could move onto some of the more popular gaming consoles ^^

I'm amazed at this. This is honestly awesome. I'd love to help with this, if I can, as someone who has eye sight problems myself, would be more than happy to help. Please let me know if I can do anything AS.

If you have Skype, I would be MORE than happy to share how we do our scripting with you and let you take on different parts of Majora's mask and any other games. All help is appreciated.

Luigi :P yes we do plan to move up to Sexbox 360 and other consoles. We just are die hard Zelda fans D: Hence sig