Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vinoveritas

command #ig_all_allies to send one message to a group of specified guilds

Even so its my second suggestion today, i would bring in the idea of yet another command the

#ig_allie_message which would allow, guildmembers of level 19 and up, to send one message to allied guilds.

Such a thing will come handy if a guild has an announcement to make which they do want that all guilds they are befriended with get and without having to type it over and over again so that all guilds get one #ig.

This would also save a lot of traffic, since quite a few quilds have quite a few allies. and the message would have only to be send once.

Yeah, it could save some bandwidth. If I have something I am telling my allies (about 36 guilds), I may end up mass IG'ing them in about 2 minutes flat if I am focused about it.

Of course, I might recommend rank 17 instead of 19. I don't imagine many guilds use rank 17 or 18, so they could promote someone to just high enough to use the command, but not high enough to do boot and change rank if they wished.

I would imagine the rank 19+ requirement is so it is not a common permission. The idea would be for a guild leader to send a message to all allied guilds. If everyone in a guild were granted this power, I suspect we would see purple spam/market channel part deux. With that said, I don't love the idea of making it too easy to mass-broadcast a message for any player. Unless there is an opt-out option for each guild, if one person gets bored and decides to spam allies, this would mean e.g. 36 guilds all simultaneously spammed.

I would imagine the rank 19+ requirement is so it is not a common permission. The idea would be for a guild leader to send a message to all allied guilds. If everyone in a guild were granted this power, I suspect we would see purple spam/market channel part deux. With that said, I don't love the idea of making it too easy to mass-broadcast a message for any player. Unless there is an opt-out option for each guild, if one person gets bored and decides to spam allies, this would mean e.g. 36 guilds all simultaneously spammed.

Thats exactly why i wanted the requirement so high. I expect of a guild leader to be able to restrain itself more and the same i think of people who get rank 19. And i think we could make it an requirement that only guilds will be addrressed who have each other on the ally list. This would help against any new guild master who want to spam the other guilds. As i am certain that a guild master and his most trusted leutenants would not like to missuse that power and so loose their allies.

Tbh, I don't think this command will save bandwidth (or not much...); it does make it a lot easier to spam all allies.

As for why it doesn't save bandwidth:

the person sending the message has to send 1, instead of 10-20 messages; so this saves 9-19 messages (numbers are just for exemple).

However, in both cases (#ig or #ig_all_allies) the message gets then send to ALL on-line members of the allied guilds, so no saving at all here. And as soon as the message is useful only to part of the allied guilds, it might actually use more bandwidth...

So I think I don't really see the need for this command.

And let's not get into the different levels of allies, some guilds set as allied guilds they have non-aggression pacts with, those might not be interested in things about guild maps etc. (and you might not want to send it to them...)

(And if a message needs to be sent to all allies, it's easy enough to make an alias to send it that takes the guild tag as a parameter, though that forces you to know all your allies :whistle: )

(as an aside: with the #ig_all_allies version, the server has to check what are the allied guilds, and only then can start sending them, presumably as normal #ig to each guild; this might or might not be more work compared to treating a series of #ig messages)

Edited by revi

Tbh, I don't think this command will save bandwidth (or not much...); it does make it a lot easier to spam all allies.

were you thinking of me when you typed this??

I think it is a good idea as long as it is high ranked. If a guild wants to host an event for allies, or has some project thing to strengthen the bonds with each other, it would be a lot easier typing one time then 5-10 times.

I'm not sure how the allying thing goes, but I think that the message should only work if the other guild is allied to you too. We could get some abusers that just ally random guilds and spam them. But as I said, I don't know how allying works.

Hmmm...if a person could specify muliple guilds to IG without having it IG all of the allied guilds, it would get close to this, but more flexible. You could set up text macros to specify all the guilds you wish to contact. How this could work is to have the guild tags be separated by commas. Example: "#ig guilda,guildb, guildc message".

I didn't think many guilds gave people rank 17,18 or 19. That is why I figured rank 17 would be safe. I guess some of you disagree and think rank 17 is a common thing.

Meanwhile, if hardly anyone uses it, the command becomes pointless to implement. If it is overused, it becomes dangerous to implement. Eh. Everything has its pros and cons.

When I have a message to #IG to my allies, after I type the message the first time and press enter, all I do is [Control]+[up arrow], change the guild tag for the next ally and press enter. It's pretty easy to do this way and saves tons of keystrokes. My guildies do call this action spamming the allies because they see all of the #IG messages, and in a guild with >100 allies, I could see this suggestion (the one the thread is about) being more of a time saver than the [Control]+[up arrow] technique.

When I have a message to #IG to my allies, after I type the message the first time and press enter, all I do is [Control]+[up arrow], change the guild tag for the next ally and press enter. It's pretty easy to do this way and saves tons of keystrokes. My guildies do call this action spamming the allies because they see all of the #IG messages, and in a guild with >100 allies, I could see this suggestion (the one the thread is about) being more of a time saver than the [Control]+[up arrow] technique.

I do the same thing to mass IG 30+ guilds in under 2 minutes. This would indeed save more time for some folk with alot of allies.

On a bandwidth basis....

Bandwidth saved by allowing us to IG a specific list or all allies would be X-1 sends from you and (X-1)*members_online received by your own guild.

Figuring 30 messages and 5 members online, it would be a savings of 29 sends and 145 receives by your own guild. That could be more or less significant according to number of guilds IG'd and number of guildies online.

The downside is that people may do mass IG more with it being easier.

Although it is a separate topic to a certain extent, there is another way to do something like this. Allow a person to invite multiple guilds to a randomly (and hidden) numbered guild channel with an invite message.

It could even be a sort of "parlor chat room" for a guild....besides the @@guild, there could be another one that guests could be invited to (therefore referred to as a "parlor chat room"). Parlor invitations should expire when a person logs off and guildmembers could access it via @@parlor. Entire guilds or just individuals could be invited to a guild's parlor in one invite.

For people who have +50 allies I really REALLY like this idea ...... that and my fingers cannot take that much abuse anymore x..x