Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nova

Take back the market!

The boycott Learner thread has yielded a few very good opinions/ideas that deserve their own thread. The main ideas being the 2 most simple of all:

1. If you don't agree with the prices on the EL market and you feel that something has to change then don't buy at high prices even if you can afford it. For example, don't buy rostos for 30k (and definitely not 50k)

2. Charge fair prices for your goods. Stop selling silver for 2.5 or even 3gc, stop selling essys for way more then they cost to make.

Its up to the players who feel strongly about this topic to fix the market. I know that there is always the danger of selling for fair prices with good intentions only to have the buyer turn around and sell again for inflated prices, but there are also ways to combat that if everyone who believes this is the right thing to do sticks together. Word of mouth about overpriced resellers can work wonders.

So lets try to identify the 'fair market, less greed' sellers. If you belive that we, as concerned players sticking together, can make the market better, post below. If you think I'm a nutcase, please make your own thread and link this one in it so that this thread can stay a nice 'list' of people who want to charge fair prices in hopes of a better market and more fun game for all.

Edited by Nova

There needs to be a thank button somewhere on the board. I'd like to rank this post up by thanking you for writing it. As with Learner for triggering this.

[Jenfy @ 3]: 3 Selling rostognol stones 32Kgc. Taking orders, limit 2 per customer. PM Jenfy.

[stone @ 3]: selling rosto for 21k, buying rosto for 44k and selling 2 serpent stones for 7k each

These are merely the only two that I've seen, and probably not the only two. But I applaud these two for doing these and greatly admire what they've done/continue to do/etc.

I applaud them because that they ignored what happened and instead used what they felt was a fair price.

In my opinion, I may be wrong, but, as far as I saw, the point Learner made was that the players control the prices and not Radu, thus it was legal, and thus it was up to us.

Keep in mind that those two ads were just ads and not exactly statements for or against learner, but I feel that they deserved some mention anyway.

Hm, economy isn't really my thing and I feel out of my league posting something like this.

I've voiced this opinion MANY times in Channel 6.

I'm glad I'm not the only one willing to do something.

This market is ours, we make it the way we want.

I've been following this motto for a while now, will continue doing so.

Lets take it back guys.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...mp;#entry520466 - :brooding:

Edited by forever

That is a very nice idea forever. I'm sure you made many players happy.

However, in order to find out the real value of items, a very big and very public table must be made:

1. Make a list of all the very basic ingredients in the game - all harvestables (ores, minerals, flowers), and all the basic items you can buy from NPCs in order to make items, but can't make yourself (mostly tools, like looms and sanding papers). Do not include any items you can make.

The price for rare items (like stones), must be taken from the market itself.

2. Get the price range for each of those items. Some of those items can be bought or sold to and from NPCs, so that should be their price range. For example, silver ore can be bought at 10gc and sold for 1gc, so the price per 1 silver ore should always be between 1 and 10 gc. Those prices must be updated from time to time based on the status of the market (supply and demand).

3. Now that you know the real value of each of those basic ingredients, add to the table all the other items in the game (all the items you can manufacture), and calculate their value (cost of the basic ingredients + cost of food + a small profit for the time spent). Start with essences and bars, and work your way up to the high level items in the game (adding the cost of the ingredients + food + time).

This should give a fair estimate as to the real value of the items in the game.

This table MUST be made public (as a file, or even as a bot, like trinitybot) , so people would know how much each item is really worth, and won't overpay for it (which ruins the economy).

I actually made such a table a few years ago, but there have been many changes, and many items were added to the game, so a new table must be created. I would actually make it myself, but I simple don't have the time.

Once, I made a database that did this and was to be the start of a bot. Never finished it. Forgot where I put it.

Recently, I made a spreadsheet that did this.

A person could also set up a website for such a purpose.

If one or both of the bot hosting services could make another table and record the number of sales at whatever price for whatever item and post that as a graph on a website when you look up that item, we could tell if a price someone is trying to push is really a price or just a load of bull crap.

I just now posted a suggestion for a price graph on the dogbreath forums.

Edited by nathanstenzel

lol, keep scratching around in your sandbox... EL is no longer a fantasy based 'swords&sorcery' MMORPG, it's only a mini-stock market of imaginary materials. and 'tis kinda like the real world, the best way to succeed is to screw over your neighbours. You might aswell lose the 3D graphics and turn it into a strategy or text-based game.

I applaud learner, and still lol when I read the topic to boycott him. He pwnt everyone with 1 fell swoop, but look on the bright side, atleast he brought some excitement and change in your dull and uninteresting routine you call your lives. You are stagnating in this free market with its untouchable way of hoarding assets. The only thing seperating the newb from the pr0 is hours spent.

Seriously, just implement some sort of factions, where you can vie for resources, territory and power. All your carefully hoarded items, and painstakingly gained levels are nothing but numbers, good for nothing, worth fk all. The hell you gunna do once you reach the point where your char can afford everything it needs 10x over? Retire comfortably and buy a little cottage by the sea?

Good luck thinking up temporary solutions to your permanent problem. I think I'll dust off my chars and go buy up all these cheap rosto's, and resell them at learner's price. Do my bit to flatten your sandcastles. :)

Seriously, just implement some sort of factions, where you can vie for resources, territory and power. All your carefully hoarded items, and painstakingly gained levels are nothing but numbers, good for nothing, worth fk all. The hell you gunna do once you reach the point where your char can afford everything it needs 10x over? Retire comfortably and buy a little cottage by the sea?

City building. To come sometime in 2010 or later.

lol, keep scratching around in your sandbox... EL is no longer a fantasy based 'swords&sorcery' MMORPG, it's only a mini-stock market of imaginary materials. and 'tis kinda like the real world, the best way to succeed is to screw over your neighbours. You might aswell lose the 3D graphics and turn it into a strategy or text-based game.

I applaud learner, and still lol when I read the topic to boycott him. He pwnt everyone with 1 fell swoop, but look on the bright side, atleast he brought some excitement and change in your dull and uninteresting routine you call your lives. You are stagnating in this free market with its untouchable way of hoarding assets. The only thing seperating the newb from the pr0 is hours spent.

Good luck thinking up temporary solutions to your permanent problem. I think I'll dust off my chars and go buy up all these cheap rosto's, and resell them at learner's price. Do my bit to flatten your sandcastles. :)

If you don't even play anymore, why must you keep coming back to spam the forums with your bullshit?

This thread is about making the market better. Let's keep on topic ;) If people really try, we can at least make some improvement.

Who cares if they don't play regularly anymore, people love the ability to come ruin other peoples lives with so little effort, that is what its about :)

If you don't even play anymore, why must you keep coming back to spam the forums with your bullshit?

This thread is about making the market better. Let's keep on topic ;) If people really try, we can at least make some improvement.

Never really thought of a reason, but here, pick one that suits your needs m8: because I can, because I'm right, because I'm awesome.

I forgive you for questioning my motives.

Sheep need shepherds to keep them safe from the wolves. Go find yourself a shepherd m8, and steer clear of the wolves. :)

Never really thought of a reason, but here, pick one that suits your needs m8: because I can, because I'm right, because I'm awesome.

Sheep need shepherds to keep them safe from the wolves. Go find yourself a shepherd m8, and steer clear of the wolves. :)

If we are sheeps, ure a fish, keep yourself in your fishbow.

Back to topic.

Lets start outlawing ppl who disrespact the fair price standars we do belive. Doing what learner did is just another for of steal people efforts (i see it as a bag jump). It a white-collar crime, its sorta of a corruption.

He doenst harm anyone directly, but indirectly. Its liable to outlaws. Ill start outlawing all ppl that ruins market fair prices!

DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM. DONT GIVE EM ANY PROFIT

If we are sheeps, ure a fish, keep yourself in your fishbow.

Back to topic.

Lets start outlawing ppl who disrespact the fair price standars we do belive. Doing what learner did is just another for of steal people efforts (i see it as a bag jump). It a white-collar crime, its sorta of a corruption.

He doenst harm anyone directly, but indirectly. Its liable to outlaws. Ill start outlawing all ppl that ruins market fair prices!

DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM. DONT GIVE EM ANY PROFIT

Actually if people would grow the fuck up and talk to Learner, you'd realize that he did it for a reason. Learner monopolized the market to force/encourage people to drop prices and compete with each other.

Actually if people would grow the fuck up and talk to Learner, you'd realize that he did it for a reason. Learner monopolized the market to force/encourage people to drop prices and compete with each other.

If I had been trying to abuse the market and take control, I wouldn't have been telling people in @6 what I was doing before I had bought up all the Rostos, and I would have kept buying any new ones as they reappeared. Instead they knew I was doing it during the entire time.

If I had kept my mouth shut, people may not have realized for a while what was going on or who was involved until the bot logs started getting check or I started putting rosto's up ad high prices.

i see rosto's being sold for ~45k, i really hope that what learner did will lower prices instead of driving prices up and staying that way...

i see rosto's being sold for ~45k, i really hope that what learner did will lower prices instead of driving prices up and staying that way...

I've actually been seeing a lot of bot sales in th 30k-31k range, and have heard or player to player sales for 25k to people who are trustest not to just resell them.

If I had been trying to abuse the market and take control, I wouldn't have been telling people in @6 what I was doing before I had bought up all the Rostos, and I would have kept buying any new ones as they reappeared. Instead they knew I was doing it during the entire time.

If I had kept my mouth shut, people may not have realized for a while what was going on or who was involved until the bot logs started getting check or I started putting rosto's up ad high prices.

I realize this. I'm just tired of alllll the complaining.