Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DHT

Tweaking Total War

So I came up with this idea: (Skip to summary if you're too bored to read)

We sometimes get pissed of by some people, be it some nastymouth or some bagjumper who just stole your 20k coal. And those people rarely go to PK, so we can't get one on one with them to settle the differences. Here's where the total war function comes into play.

When the attacking guild announces total war to some other guild (let's call them defending guild), they have to also announce it at the moment. My suggestion would be to remove that, instead, put a 5 minute timer before the war starts. So attacking guild announces war, defending guild gets a message (might be a countdown too somewhere in a corner) that they are at total war with the attacking guild and it will start in 5 minutes, giving them time to prepare or run for their rostos.

The timer should be put to prevent abuse. For example, Player A finds a nexus removal stone while harvesting, some ebul guild announces total war to his guild, kills him, and has a chance to take the stone. Those 5 minutes would give the player time to escape, or ask for reinforcements.

Also Total War should not be permanent between the guilds, it should last 1-3 hours and then auto turn off. Of course fees apply for announcing the war, as well as a possible fee to buy out of the war for the defenders, say 10-20k gcs. To prevent constant attacks towards some newbie guild, there should be a cooldown too. A guild can only announce total war every 1-7 days (tbd), and a guild can be challenged to a war every 1-3 hours.

Summary:

* Defending guild automatically gets total war if someone challenges them.

* There is a 5 minute timer before the war actually starts.

* The defending guild can buy its way out of the war for 10-20k gcs.

* The war lasts 1-3 hours.

* A guild can only announce total war every 1-7 days.

* A guild can only be challenged to a war every 1-3 hours.

* All other total war fees apply.

I tried to cover all possible scenarios, but there's definitely something I missed. So please comment, flame, improve, do your thing :)

sorry I dont like it, I cant imagine my wife being logged in with her 20 a/d and someone declaring total war just to be an idiot

she should have to pay 20kgc just to cancel it ? No thanks man.

this would turn into an annoying function. Theres nothing wrong with total war as it is now, both guilds have to agree to it , which means consent. Forcing it upon people is not great, which is why there are seperate maps for Pk or the PK server. Contrary to popular belief there are still people who play EL who dont want to PK.

Won't make any change unless everyone will start with #enemy_combatant status.

If something like this would happen I'd be setting total war all the time to any guild.

As I said, all total war fees apply. so declaring war would cost too, preferably more than to cancel it. So you'd declare war only if you have a good reason. and yes, everyone should start with combatant status.

This will be abused by rich people to constantly bully other guilds. Some people may be set as combatants because of some contest at some point but aren't ready for an actual total war. Sorry, bad idea...

On the other hand, if someone just bag jumped you, it would be nice to be able to kill them on the spot and get back your stuff :)

Edited by hussam

If you don't like the idea, please explain why and what are its drawbacks. Because without supporting ideas, saying I like it or I don't like it doesn't mean anything unless you're Radu.

And no insults please.

If you don't like the idea, please explain why and what are its drawbacks. Because without supporting ideas, saying I like it or I don't like it doesn't mean anything unless you're Radu.

And no insults please.

People already posted reasons.

I'd rather not die when i afk in what I believe is a safe zone.
It means 'bully' guilds simply declare war on non fighting guilds...
Plus this will be abused by bagjumpers to attack people. No offense but this is really not applicable to main server.

This is a stupid suggestion. Go play on the PK server.

This doesn't :)

Consider it from the bagjumper's point of view: would you pay 20k to announce total war to a guild, wait 5 minutes until you can actually attack to have a CHANCE to get something? In that 5 minute cooldown, the person you're attacking can easily escape, or get ready for a fight. In addition to that, the guild can buy out of the war for a fee, and you can't attack them for 1-3 hours.

As for afk harvesting, Radu clearly stated that EL is not about getting resources easy.

I have to agree with bullying tho, but I honestly don't think it would last long. Maybe the first week or so.

Consider it from the bagjumper's point of view: would you pay 20k to announce total war to a guild, wait 5 minutes until you can actually attack to have a CHANCE to get something?
Yes, they will. A bag jumper has no problem wasting 20k gcs to bagjump you. From experience, a troublemaker works for attention and not just the "loot". Plus many guilds do projects that are worth 50k+ gcs. Killing them and taking their steal bars for example is certainly worth the 20k gcs.

As for afk harvesting, Radu clearly stated that EL is not about getting resources easy.

Must I clear my inv everytime I go afk? This would include taking off a col and healing when I get back to continue mixing.

Although i don't think this idea will go anywhere if as DHT has said all current Total War options stay then there is no reason for afk harvesters to worry.....

Every person starts as a noncombatant in total war.......you have to opt in to being a combatant.

That being said once you declare yourself a combatant you then have to pay again to go back to being peaceful, otherwise you are a combatant in any war your guild declares and in any future guild you join iirc.

At least thats how i believe total war is set up at the moment so that it afk peoples didn't have to worry when it was implemented in the first place (or guildies who had low stats that would have been creamed in TW).

correct me if i'm wrong in this.

How about, the attacking guild gets an a/d subtraction penalty, while the defenders get a raise?o.o

And defending guild gets no drop, while attackers get no rosto effect put on them? >:)

How about, the attacking guild gets an a/d subtraction penalty, while the defenders get a raise?o.o

And defending guild gets no drop, while attackers get no rosto effect put on them? >:)

That's not how I'm seeing it, but could work nevertheless :pickaxe:

@Raytray: ever heard of a rostogol stone?

@Hussam: please, read my comment again. The guild can buy out of the war if they're on a big project and be untouchable for the next 1-3 hours.

And of course, IP and UW would still be safe zones, so that people won't be killing afk harvesters to get everything off of them.

Yes it would be nice to get bag jumpers and scammers back, everybody dislikes them but they are a daily occurrence in EL and everyone knows who the main perpetrators are. Although i like the concept of the idea i don't think it has a place on the main server.

The majority of players on the main server don't PK, i would certainly find it unjust if an egotistical PKer decided to call total war on our guild for something stupid. It happens you just have to read CH 6 and see the BS that people fall out over. To say "have you ever heard of a rosto", i agree you should always carry one when carrying expensive equipment, but how many 30kgc does it take to get really pissed of with the game when weaker guild members would be abused and killed for easy pickings.

Having to be opted in as a combatant, fair one if it's on an individual basis where weaker guildies or those with no interest in PK have a chance to not participate. Problem i see with this is the bag jumpers and scammers will not choose to be combatants to avoid the whole issue, they will continue doing what their doing and have the same freedom as they always do.

If you have a gripe with someone on an individual basis for bag jumping or scamming and solid independent proof, have that player made PKable for 1-3 hours playing time, not so that he can turn his computer off for that time and come back after, but actual game time. It would soon get around that that player is an outlaw and PKable for scamming or bag jumping and let the fun begin. I don't know if it could be made that that person could not access storage to drop his kit before hand or implemented when he has say 6 out of 8 equipment slots filled. Yes he could run and hide and try to pass the hours off playing time, but as with hidden invasions their found sooner or later if not he has totally wasted hours of play doing nothing. It would make scammers and bag jumpers think twice and for some individuals in this game the majority would come to a standstill to look for them.

Davy

I have and they're quite expensive for me to lose on a weekly basis to a malicious guild waiting for me to run out of them so they can get my items.

yeh but the thing is on the main server Rostogol Stones are not a buck a pop , if they were a buck a pop do you really think anyone would give a damn about ND arenas and ND KF ?

*edit* on main server some rostos are on market for nearly 30kgc, thats not a cheap thing to replace because someone thought it was funny to declare war on weaker opponent

Edited by Ateh

Sorry for posting in a old topic but I have an idea that is similar to this but less intrusive.

How about it is possible for someone to challenge you to PK and you can accept or refuse?

Some restrictive conditions could be:

1. A player can only challenge or accept a challenge from one player per game day and both have to have been logged in when the game day started.

2. The duration of the challenge is ~10 minutes only (to prevent using regular maps for pvp training) and if one of the players flees or disses, the challenge is over. If people are still fighting after 10 minutes (although highly unlikely), they are automatically disengaged.

3. The winner gets a small experience reward like 20k overall.

4. Winner is announced in channel 6.

I haven't thought this very well through but it's an idea.

Edited by hussam

Sounds interesting Hussam, perhaps require a special challenge token or use the existing invasion tokens to be the fee. Has to be done at a certain npc in some normally desolate location or something.