Eternal Lands Official Forums
BruSu

landmines

I like this game but I have a lot of difficulties with these landmines. They are to close to reality. All over the world in RL landmiles should be banned - a lot of people are fighting for that - and here in this funny game they even have the same name. Are there some others with the same bad feeling?

and we kill people in this game as we do with mobs, is this too close to reality too?

sorry, I don't really get your point... this is a game and anyone with some few grams of brain should realize the difference between EL and RL.

and we kill people in this game as we do with mobs, is this too close to reality too?

sorry, I don't really get your point... this is a game and anyone with some few grams of brain should realize the difference between EL and RL.

You must not have to deal with land mines in RL.

The point is: thermal serps, harm spell, fluffy rabbits are not a big problem in RL... land mines are.

Edited by boognish

Hi,

if Brusu wants to say that the word landmines is not political correct i agree with her. If the name for the landmines will be changed into another word which is not so bad tagged it is ok. I also would not like if it anyone gives himself the name "A_Hitler" because i am an german and this leads to bad associations.

I think it is an really small step to change landmines into e.g. magic detonators or something like this. ;))

Greets

Allandor

I am really sorry,

Compare with 90% of the shooters. For example CoD, "A Hitler" or a "Nazi Zombie" reference is not limited to a handful of games. Games contain offending material, but I still don't see how the name "landmine" could be a problem for someone.

OK and lets ban a potions makers because they are just glorified drug dealers [/sarcasm]

Why is something called a landmine offensive really?

Having a name like Adolf Hitler can be offensive to a lot of people and that I understand but the name landmine.... I mean come on...

If your really offended that they are called landmines then please find another game to play because I bet there are things in EL that can offend you more than that...

What's next?

Change #suicide to #find-a-happy-place? :confused:

edit: spelling

Edited by PaulB

Oh and ban swords, axes, bows and arrows, hammers, bears, lions and fist fighting because people die from them in real life aswell please. :confused:

Last I heard there was not an international campaign to ban swords

Remember land mines kill without discrimination. unlike the other things you mention.

Some people need to get outside, there is a whole world out there.

Maybe we should change their names to cute fluffy things. This would make it so much better, right?

Last I heard there was not an international campaign to ban swords

Remember land mines kill without discrimination. unlike the other things you mention.

Some people need to get outside, there is a whole world out there.

That's true.. Swords won't kill children and refugees and stuff, since they have a built in protection that prevents them from doing that, unlike the mines.

So landmines are ok as long as we don't call them landmines? They still do the same thing. Would not a rose, by any other name, smell as sweet?

EL is not real life. Some people have difficulty distinguishing fantasy from reality, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world needs to change their habits to accommodate the overly sensitive.

EL isn't real. The landmines in EL aren't real. If you're offended by aspects of EL, there are plenty of children's games available to play.

I get your point but in the end this is just a game not the RL, no one will ever die by them in EL they will just have to crawl back out of hell and get back to what they where doing, as alot of other ppl said already there are loads of things in EL that would need a change if they would have to consider RL in the game.

Do what you can to stop mines in RL instead of doing it in a game.

Also, the name Eternal-Lands *MUST* be changed as people who live in lands that are not eternal could become offended.

Also, Entropy needs to change his name, as not everyone believes in the concept of entropy.

By doing this, we can hope to live in a more stable, happier community where everyone no longer thinks.

~Your friends from the Everyone Has Feelings Commission

well,I do understand why you don't like landmines, but renaming them ingame because of.....why?

Come on, you can't be serious.

Had the mines been able to kill anyone even in non-PK maps, I'd get it you don't like them,but this way... something wrong there I think

And I would like to say that I don't like Feros,because it seems racistic to me!!! nah I don't care...I just laugh whenever I see one ^ ^

(common name of one 'racial minority' in my country is Fero - no offense)

No offense, but what is next? a guild called PETA? Asking for a way to earn a/d experince without hurting animals or others?

lol I am going to change my guild name to that for awhile

perhaps we really should censor everything on the internets because then at least the media would be able to tell us exactly whats right and wrong I mean after all we have absolutely no way of discerning whats wrong and whats right without first listening to what our glorious leaders and medias think. ty bye

No offense, but what is next? a guild called PETA?
lol I am going to change my guild name to that for awhile

People Eating Tasty Animals (long guild name)?

I would understand a request to remove the word 'landmines' if this was a children's game but it isn't. Many people in their late 20s, 30s, 40s and even 50s play this game so the majority won't mind.

Another thing ...depending on where you come from, 'landmines' may be a sensitive word and partially offensive. It is closely related to the word terrorism. Before anyone flames me, I don't think the word landmines should be removed from the game. Everyone should know the difference between real life and a fantasy game. Games are for fun :)

Edited by hussam

how bout 'Fragile Underground Kinetic Explosive Device'?

Cuz that is what this is. Sorry, but my very best friend - who went to school with my oldest brother - came back from war minus one leg and only part of another due to 'landmines'. If anyone has a right to complain it would be him. He loves playing CoD, Quake, and various other war games, etc. and if you cannot separate a GAME from real life then I don't know what to say.

Also, if you want to get serious about it... they are called anti-personnel mines for some time now. So what is the problem?

You are being over sensitive about naming conventions. You are taking something from a *game* and intentionally or not - turning it into something personal, and then on top of that making an attempt to create a worldly association out of it.

I'm tired of people chanting at games for RL problems. I don't know you personally so perhaps you have RL issues close to home that affects you regarding this, but if that is the case - keep it in RL eh?

I hope you have a great day,

Gerrick

The problem isn't the mines, but the failed use of them. Everywhere they've been spread around without marking the spots and then they are forgotten. Mines are important part of defense for several countries and these days their use is very controlled, at least in modern countries.

EL doesn't have the same issue.

It would be tasteless if in EL the mines disappeared only when they are detonated. Imagine hydro run, but no, they disappear in short time.

And to the sword talk, I think a spear was more common and has bigger bodycount. It's very fast to learn use effectively and owns. Cheap too and needs less smithing skill. :)