Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lorck

Make gc & item selling for real money illegal

Infamous: i asked why the only way to increase shop buying of resources is to completely get rid of it, nobody answered. There is a clear way to increase shop buying: limit the BM, the best option would make it outright illegal, but if there is sacrifices to be made, like 1 char at a time, it would still be worth it.

About mods saying bye to RL, etc, they already investigate all trades for illegal multi AND we are discussing here if making BM illegal is for the win, if mods think they would be "overworked" they would just say. Don't forget Aislinn's comment btw:

Please do not comment on suggestions with reasons based on moderators jobs or what you think they are or aren't, we will decide on that aspect ourselves if the suggestion ever gets that far.

As far as automated processes to detect unbalanced trades that could be viewed by mods, I am sure it would be possible to put something in the server code to do this....although I have never seen the server code myself. I posted on this in a different thread a long time ago.

Your thread is really a repeat of that thread, but I don't know....that thread might be locked.

The amount of processing power that would be added by adding such a feature would be hard to determine. Probably minimal though.

i disagree with the proposal to restrict everyone to one char.

One aspect: how would you control that?

Well IMO it might be possible to implement in the client, make it so it checks if another client is already running, and if so, you can't open it. But in this case it would also need to check which server it is connected to, and limit the clients opened only for main.

Another aspect: as long as redistributing PPs is that difficult, you practically force ppl to create different chars over time imho.

If you can only play 1 char at a time, you can still create as many differently built characters as you like.

I'm not saying I'm for or against this, I'm just considering the possibilities.

i disagree with the proposal to restrict everyone to one char.

One aspect: how would you control that?

Well IMO it might be possible to implement in the client, make it so it checks if another client is already running, and if so, you can't open it. But in this case it would also need to check which server it is connected to, and limit the clients opened only for main.

Will not work. Firstly it's an opensourced client, anyone and his ficus could remove that check. besides that, having more than one computer available is not that uncommon either.

Limiting players to one char at the time could (and should) be done server-side:

"Has this IP a connection already? "

- no: allow connection

- yes: then block, unless connected player is on green list (to allow families, you need to have a way to tell which chars can share an IP, and this must link characters to other characters, since IPs tend to be variable)

I agree, trying to do this client-side only is doomed to fail

Read all 4 pages and almost laughed at lorck :) Calling everyone biased when he is truly the one who doesn't even bother reading other peoples posts. Maybe take an objective p.o.v. when reading other peoples comments on your suggestion?

i asked why the only way to increase shop buying of resources is to completely get rid of it, nobody answered. There is a clear way to increase shop buying: limit the BM, the best option would make it outright illegal, but if there is sacrifices to be made, like 1 char at a time, it would still be worth it.

I don't study economies, though common sense says:

Slowing BM down would merely be temporary. Say everyone started buying from the shop just to get gc (e.g. buying rostos or binding stones and selling in game). That would lower the prices of the shop items considerably. When that happens, you get more stones / gc == more stones / $ from BM, making BM a lot more attractive (considering you'd buy gc from BM, and then buying the cheap stones in game). In the long run I don't think it'd change almost anything, except maybe a few long time players getting banned, which I consider a negative effect for the game.

Might be wrong, though that's what my logic tells me would happen.

Lorck doesn't know what common sense or logic is, not many around here do. Good to see you have some though.

Read all 4 pages and almost laughed at lorck :) Calling everyone biased when he is truly the one who doesn't even bother reading other peoples posts.
Huh? I called biased those who said the idea was bad bad when they are the ones buying and selling gc, like luigi. And about the "reading" part i already replied to your "argument", but i will do that again.
I don't study economies
Ye, and you seems to not know the BM either.
Slowing BM down would merely be temporary. Say everyone started buying from the shop just to get gc (e.g. buying rostos or binding stones and selling in game). That would lower the prices of the shop items considerably. When that happens, you get more stones / gc == more stones / $ from BM, making BM a lot more attractive (considering you'd buy gc from BM, and then buying the cheap stones in game). In the long run I don't think it'd change almost anything, except maybe a few long time players getting banned, which I consider a negative effect for the game.

Might be wrong, though that's what my logic tells me would happen.

Yes, you are wrong, and your logic is flawed because you don't understand how the BM works. The BM players keep increasing their rate in order to compete unfairly with the shop, so they are always "attractive" using your own words. And again, the ratio from the shop used to be 1$->3kgc 2 or 3 years ago (when gc was EASIER to get in game), the BM was a little more. The shop increased their rate, the BM also did that. The difference you may ask? The difference is that the economy got screwed in the process.

And if you meant a "few long time players" by gold sellers, i really hope they get banned, really. They just harm the gaming experience of a lot more people.

Edited by Lorck

how the hell can you call others biased, when all you say is "BM bad bad bad ban BM" not looking at the other side of the matter

anyway i agree with lorck, lets slow BM down with something similiar to mini events

add quality to ores/flowers, some ores may have bad quality so they cant be used, or some flowers might be rotten and cant be used

tools might be rusty and cant be used after a while

Edited by Infamous

how the hell can you call others biased, when all you say is "BM bad bad bad ban BM" not looking at the other side of the matter
I never bought or sell stuff in the black market... ofc people who use it frequently will defend it, thats why they are obviously biased.

And yes, its bad bad BM, what is the "other side of the matter"? in what the BM helped the game? Nothing?

Edited by Lorck

Oh so biased coming from Lorck, the bad bad man wanted to buy GC from me once upon a time. "oh noez i never ever did that wherez proof!~1". I agree that slowing BM won't do diddly squat, but finding a way to completely stop it will. tbh though, i don't really care anymore. lorck for president he know all best idea pls.

It is only a Black Market if it has been deemed not allowed by The Owners of this game. They have not made any attempts to say that it is, or stop it in game other then enforcing the rule 5...do not cheat. So it is all great and wonderful to speaculate about the market, gc buy/sell, etc. But lets be honest. Only the ones that see the books and the logs know where the problems truely are. If those that are truely concerned, I would suggest taking advantage of the black friday super sale. Put your $ where your opinions are. Sure some gc/dollar sales happen. I have done a few to pay for

p2p>lifetime

guild map

guard bots

trade bots,

size reductions

name changes

serp sword of magic/themal

These type of gc/dollar sales are important for game revenue imo. How does one determine the difference between these types of gc>$ sales to the others? Not that easy is it ^^