Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gordong11

Magic insight worth considering

This is my first post in this forum.

I just want to start by saying that I have been playing EL for a few weeks now, but I'm hooked. My A/D is 32/35. I played Everquest for years when it was first released, and helped the dev along the way from time to time.

I think magic should less costly in terms of essences. This is my only complaint. In return, I think researching a spell should be more time consuming. Magic is magic afterall, and 1-2 essences of each type per spell is more than enough. It's much less costly to use potions and that shouldn't be. Here's what I suggest:

1. Every Spell has at least one book, and should you decide to learn it, this is where the GCoin and time should go.

2. Higher level Sigils (above level 20) should be dropped or made only.

3. Essences cost less, and the time and money spent in learned in research/making the spell is rewarded to caster and faster to level up..and/or essences made much easily and at lower levels as needed for lvl matching spells.

4. This also re-enforces a choice that every toon owner has in where his/her time spent more evenly.

5. Reduce the EPoints used per spell slightly is not a bad idea either. Possibly the higher your magic level and reasoning level, the lower the cost on some/all spells.

I just can't afford to 30GC for a 12 point remote heal at my level and is almost silly, especially when a potion is more effective and cheaper.

This is my only real gripe on a totally awesome game....but please less essences to cast a spell. I understand that one can make essences and I do make matter essences, but I cant make a HE's and HE's are required for 2 of the 1st three spells one can learn. With these changes I think the game a bit more balanced.

Thanks for listening.

Rob (gor)

Edited by gordong11

Without deep, deep, analysis, I can already say that this suggestion is well worth developing and working with. Magic, is one of the skills I've always thought needed some overhauling (improvments-wise), and this really opens up and balances the game in such a way that magic is more compelling to explore, rather than being a skill to level out of necessity.

And by that, I mean, magic in EL seems only to be an accessory to A/D skillz. High A/D needs to be coupled with high level magic. (ex. no-fail restore)

Why can't we include some of the points in this suggestion, along with some new diverse spells, so that more "Mage"-esque fighters can be out there, and not just melee based ones.

EDIT: From there, we can have more interesting battle situations, where there can now be healers in group vs. group PKs, etc. Yes, this would contribute to 'class' labels, despite Eternal Lands being a self-proclaimed open ended game (when really you're either a mixer or fighter or both). However, players could still choose to advance their other skills while they are proficient in magic.

I approve.

Edited by ~Krius~

hmmmm.....I used to play that game between 2002 and 2003.

I have to agree with you that remote heal should cost less. It is better to hand a person a potion to heal them than to heal them yourself.

The amount of essences required to remote heal was actually increased. I believe it used to be 1 magic essence and 1 health essence.

For some reason, another health essence was added to the remote heal ingredients, Later, silver ore went up in price and made health essence and every other silver based essence go up in price.

Our economy is currently having some issues in my opinion. Hopefully things will settle down.

Due to the current inflation, essences now cost more than they used to and so the cost of magic is more than it used to be. I don't think potion ingredients was affected as much.

I have to agree with you that remote heal should cost less. It is better to hand a person a potion to heal them than to heal them yourself.

The amount of essences required to remote heal was actually increased. I believe it used to be 1 magic essence and 1 health essence.

For some reason, another health essence was added to the remote heal ingredients, Later, silver ore went up in price and made health essence and every other silver based essence go up in price.

Our economy is currently having some issues in my opinion. Hopefully things will settle down.

Due to the current inflation, essences now cost more than they used to and so the cost of magic is more than it used to be. I don't think potion ingredients was affected as much.

I can remeote heal someone for 90+ hit points. The cost for that at the moment is fair imo

I can remeote heal someone for 90+ hit points. The cost for that at the moment is fair imo

Yea but not everyone has a mage build with max or close to max rationality.

tbh though I have come to like the way the magic system works as is. Yes essences can get expensive but on the bright side 2 inorganic nexus would be a lot cheaper than trying to max your rationality with 88 pick points.

Gordon, pm me in game and I will give you advice on how to cut your costs for your essences.

I am also nathanstenzel in the game.

Wizzy, you're a pro mage. A person would have trouble matching your magic potential.

With the ingreds change and economy change in the game, things don't balance the same as they used to. I believe in 2005, the cost of remote heal and body restoration potion were actually balanced.

We have to be a little more creative in our business transactions now.

As other indicated, you got pr0 rationality due to your mage build. One possible solution to the issues mentioned in this thread is to weak the effects of regular remote healing and reduce its costs... and provide an higher level spell, which does the effects of the remote healing we have today with similar costs of what we have today. The game needs more high level spells, the highest useful spell, in my humble opinion, is mana drain which is level 40.

I Was really referring to the amount of essences needed for some spells and experience given for spells. For example, I'm a level 20 caster and did quest for 20k magic exp points(but cost me 5kgc for poison antidotes needed, if I waited to make antidotes the 20k magic exp gained is near worthless). I need 7k exp to get to level 21 for restoration and about 30k to get to level 24 and portal room spell. After level 24 magic most spells i will not need for a while( and dont care about right now), so that a great cutoff point for this example. For me to get level 24 I need to cast shield 800 times or Restoration 350 times. Now I can make ME's for shield, but that is still a lot of ME's, for restoration spell i cant make HE's so it would cost me 4kgc. I know 4k doesn't seem like a lot but it only get worse and worse as u get a higher level. Now I'm sure if you been playing a long time, gc isn't an issue, but for a 1 month player it is. If I had not done quest, It would take about month longer. Plus on top of this it costs ethreal points!! I can only cast shield 4 times then i have to wait 48 minutes to cast another 4. because of this I bought a regen cloak so now 15 mins, but cost a pretty pennt for a noob....plus factor in costs of spirit potions at 15gc a pop.

As it stands it much more cost effective to buy Body potions and spirit potions, but once I get restoration spell that is no longer the case because of magic exp gained by using spells plus restoration will only cost me 28gc for about a 100 point heal(I think since rationality is lvl 10 and mag

Even according to Economics guide at wiki, MAgic is one of the worst cost per XP ratio. something like 2.6XP per gold coin using shield, not factoring in cape. That means it going to cost me about 50kgc at best to get to level 24 at best since i started playing.

It need a slight tweak, especially for lower levels.

Added: IMHO EL is all about exp, pickpoints and gc. Combat is 7x more for efficient than magic, you would be nuts as a noob not to spend most of your pickpoints towards combat attributes plus u can carry more stuff for harvesting. I think u need to be about oa 50 before you focus pickpoints on magic attributes. otherwise until then, its just a couple here and there.

The ability to heal myself for 100points and use the portal room is vital to me, so I'm doing it as fast as i can without compromising my ability to fight and harvest efficiently.

Edited by gordong11

I suggest that you make your own small mana potions and train magic by healing during fight.

I found it pretty a good way to level magic.

more spells would be very nice,

i'd like especially more spells like remote heal, so a mage can function in a

supportive way. a high lvl shield(-other) spell, invis-other, etc spells would be great.

also, maybe some copy's of the regular spells, but then with high lvl requirement and larger effect/lower essence cost.

high magic lvl should be required to be able to cast the spell, high rationality to increase it's effect (and make it useful)

high magic lvl should be required to be able to cast the spell, high rationality to increase it's effect (and make it useful)

That is a very interesting connection.

If there were low level spells and high level spells;

The high level spells would be the equivalent of the low level spell but with potentially stronger effects if the caster has sufficient rationality. Removes some of the complaints about mage alts.

-Low level spells up to level 40?

Strength dependent on magic level (to lesser extend rationality)

-High level spells up to level 80?

Strength dependent on rationality (to lesser extend on magic level)

Heal (Low);

Same

Heal (High);

Current level requirement +40, heals more

Remote Heal (Low);

Same

Remote Heal(High);

Current level requirement +40, remote heal in area

The whole idea is to switch to a high level spell once you have no fail on the standard spell, the greater spell strength comes at the price of failing :icon13:

Maybe the simple heal spell could be altered to give 20 HP instead of 10, which would help newbs a little without making it easier for pros, but apart from that I like the magic skill as it is. I think the cost of spells is just right for most people at most levels.

more spells would be very nice,

i'd like especially more spells like remote heal, so a mage can function in a

supportive way. a high lvl shield(-other) spell, invis-other, etc spells would be great.

also, maybe some copy's of the regular spells, but then with high lvl requirement and larger effect/lower essence cost.

Ah....and Bards are born.

That sort of spell is what a bard does in many other games.

Bards in other games are a great asset to any adventuring party and if a group is to go out to defeat a mighty monster, they better have one.

Of course, to truly have bards, you typically have to have more of a concept of groups than we have in this game too.

never heard of a bard, but my point is just to broaden the use of magic, now its almost solely confined to healing yourself, except in pk, where some more (but not that much) variation occurs.

all the other uses of magic are to my knolledge just to lvl the skill

never heard of a bard, but my point is just to broaden the use of magic, now its almost solely confined to healing yourself, except in pk, where some more (but not that much) variation occurs.

all the other uses of magic are to my knolledge just to lvl the skill

Bards are entertainers. They could be singers, dancers, musicians, poets or whatever. In a number of roleplaying games where magic exists, bards will use their art to cast their magic spells. For a number of them, the spells involve swaying the luck, mood, energy and whatever of whole crowds. The effect would be a much more magnified version of cheerleaders at a football game. Of course then, high charm is key to a bard character in most games.