Eternal Lands Official Forums
darky

Experience Books

I am an old timer and just saw the update today. Experience books. This is a great idea. To be very frank I always thought there should be something ongoing to do with your research potential. These book will fill up a great void.

Thanks Radu from some very happy researcher.

- Darky

Heh. I am interested in this. I wonder how good/bad they will be for the game. I guess we will see after the server comes up. Or....at least have a clue about it.

(notices Radu reading this thread)

Edited by nathanstenzel

I am not sure which NPC sells these books but might I suggest that whatever skill of experience these books belong to, have the god for that skill sell the book?

Might be a good idea and get people to visit the gods more often, no?

Just a thought.

Excellently balanced idea.

Great for a quick start in a skill, painful for pr0s due to research time.

My reply is NOT a bitch , im agreeing with the above comment but adding something to it.

If these books give around 40k xp which is what I remember being discussed on chnl 6 then tbh anyone over lvl 50 in a skill prolly isnt going to bother relying on these books as a source of experience.

Same goes for newbs, it will get to a point where the GC invested and the time it takes willnot be sufficient to advance in thier chosen skills. 40k isnt really a great deal when you need 900k plus for a lvl

I think they are a great addition to the game and im going to be using one to raise my uber noob potion lvl

My reply is NOT a bitch , im agreeing with the above comment but adding something to it.

If these books give around 40k xp which is what I remember being discussed on chnl 6 then tbh anyone over lvl 50 in a skill prolly isnt going to bother relying on these books as a source of experience.

Same goes for newbs, it will get to a point where the GC invested and the time it takes willnot be sufficient to advance in thier chosen skills. 40k isnt really a great deal when you need 900k plus for a lvl

I think they are a great addition to the game and im going to be using one to raise my uber noob potion lvl

afaik radu planned to add more books which cost more but will give more exp too

anyway its a great idea, but only thing that could use adjustment is the research points i think

6+ hours is a loooong read for 40k exp, cant imagine how long it would take for bigger books

I am reading those books right now, and right now i think, the idea is pretty cool.

1. Now you can level a skill without making loads of items nobody needs and would buy.

2. Money gets out of the game when ppl buy these books.

3. Ppl can even level a little bit afk, which might be fun for some players (of course you have to make money to buy them, but if even the afk players buy rostos from the shop to sell them and buy the books, its a good idea IMO)

(speaking about afk leveling, whats the difference, if ppl buy accounts from other ppl, instead buying rostos from the shop and sell them in game to get money to buy those books? If they buy rostos, they support the game.)

Piper

I am currently reading the Big Book of Manufacturing.

As long as we keep a positive food level, we can do whatever we wish while reading such books (except read a different book lol).

I have good rationality so I will read the books faster than some.

Leather helms are a good way to level manufacturing and I could make 60K xp from leather helms in about an hour, but that requires a bit of investment to do that and talking to Trik way too much. Leather helms make a good manufacturer go crazy.

I am glad there is now another way to get 40K xp. I could even make enough money to pay for the book via hydro bars in an hour so I think I am set now. I only have to make sure I have a pickpoint buyer to sell my bars to.

Wow! Awesome Idea! Where do/will people get them from in-game?

Sounds like an awesome shop item too! (Especially for the higher level ones)

That'd make me wanna spend money at the shop again for sure!!!

So would special 'shop-only' human nexus 0 dragon armors, lol...

'shop only' human nexus 0 tit longsword? 0 nexus tit shield?

0 nexus great--http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/lipssealed.gif[NO CARRIER]

Wow! Awesome Idea! Where do/will people get them from in-game?

That'd make me wanna spend money at the shop again for sure!!!

'shop only' human nexus 0 tit longsword? 0 nexus tit shield?

0 nexus great--http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/lipssealed.gif[NO CARRIER]

Have you tried the books? Or you are just commenting without even giving it a try?

The higher your level in a skill, the more experience points are required to get to the next level. Making this method of leveling really expensive if you rely on it completely.

I really don't see how this is connected to nexus and dragon armors...

The threshold for experienced players to start a new skills suddenly became a lot lower. Introducing more players to skills they previously had not tried is a good thing, this only enhances gameplay if you ask me :)

I defiantly like these books great way to take gc out of the game and give people xp at the same time. Who cares if it takes a long time to read as someone said, you can be doing other things then just reading the book like harvesting or mixing or fighting.

Another idea along these lines would be books you can buy to do a quest, it would tell you what you had to accomplish in the quest once you finished reading it and then if you do the quest you get xp. Or possibly offering some of these books in the shop that give slightly more xp(maybe take slightly longer to read to offset xp abuse)=support the game and they can be sold in game to others like rostos etc. (the ones from the shop could be Tomes :))

I've heard conflicting information about what happens if you're reading one of these books and run out of food. Does it simply stop (like a normal book) or does something else happen?

like a normal book, had my alt reading big book of manu and ran out of food, and started reading again when i got on positive food lvl

btw come to think of it, the books were inspired by fallout 3? big book of science? :)

Why does nobody shout "exp buying ftl :( "

weird...

Not weird, because the advantage you gain with regards to others is pretty minimal.

These books are perfect for people who have so far been focussed on only a few skills, that want to start up a new skill. They are pretty expensive and the xp you gain is pretty much only worth it till skilllevel 35-40. It's just an alternative to making endless amounts of the same item that hardly anyone uses. The books are big reads, takes about 6 hours in fast read library from what I've heard to finish one.

As for 'exp buying ftl': People buy stuff from shop to fund their ingame habbits (and that's not strictly limited to highlevel fighters / PKers), People pay rl $ for a character that has been levelled by someone else, and people buy gc from others so they can invest that time in gaining levels instead of making the gc ingame. Don't see why now, all of a sudden, this is a problem to you, when really it's actually an adition to the game.

It's not a problem to me, actually, I haven't tried the books yet as they haven't appeared on the PK server.

What I was implying is that lots of people used to whine about exp buying when radu or anyone else suggested some addition that would allow them. but now, when it got added, nobody whines. Yes, it's only a few levels to start with, but if the assumptions are right, more books with more exp will be added sooner or later.

because all critic must have detailed data to back it up now, no more 'it might not be a good idea'-postings allowed.

*looks like this post was deleted and restored, but not at the right position (after DHT's question)*

Edit by Aisy: This post was never deleted.

Edited by Aislinn

I'm reading the engenering book, will read more.

I have lots of useless engeneering items in my storage, impossible to sell to players or NPC.

Only made for levelling.

Better to use the time for other skills and buy books even if they are the expensive.

I've heard conflicting information about what happens if you're reading one of these books and run out of food. Does it simply stop (like a normal book) or does something else happen?

I am reading the big book of manufacturing. I ran out of food a few times. I just continued reading once I had food in me. Just like a normal book.