Eternal Lands Official Forums
Guest dracowish

windows 7

I am running on one machine I have (Lenovo T500) the EL client under Windows 7 Enterprise edition (x64). Both the normal and XP compatibility mode crashing frequently.

As I see with the resource monitor, the amount of el.exe's memory usage is grow with 5-7kbytes in every seconds which maybe caused by a possible memory leak.

Ok, I wanted to create a new thread but since this one is about Windows 7 I'll post here.

I've installed Win 7 x86 yesterday, and since then EL keeps crashing every 15 mins or so, I really don't know what's the reason for that, here it how it looks like:

157nio8.jpg

I have ATI Radeon HD 5770 and latest drivers for it, would appreciate if someone could solve this issue :blink:

It's annoying when client crashes that often :hehe:

P.S I've tried running with XP/Vista compatibility mode, but that didn't help either ...

Ok, I wanted to create a new thread but since this one is about Windows 7 I'll post here.

I've installed Win 7 x86 yesterday, and since then EL keeps crashing every 15 mins or so, I really don't know what's the reason for that, here it how it looks like:

157nio8.jpg

I have ATI Radeon HD 5770 and latest drivers for it, would appreciate if someone could solve this issue :(

It's annoying when client crashes that often :)

P.S I've tried running with XP/Vista compatibility mode, but that didn't help either ...

I had the same problem since i run windows7 on my new computer, but ONLY when i change to full screen. Any smaller screen dont give issues.

Jez

I had the similar error, and as I wrote, the client is using slowly the available memory. If I stay at textscreen (F1), the running time is longer without crashing, and it seems it related with the screen mode and/or resolution too (by Jezebelle's post). I guess its caused by not proper texture memory handling (sometimes the textures just erroreus too and the mapchange with TAB shows white screen sometimes). Of course it can be any other rendering-related issue (e.g. memory leak). P.S: sorry for using programmer terms, but maybe it helps where to find the bug when client become officially available on Windows 7.

i don't think it's a windows 7 problem. I get the same crashes like csiga described on vista.

memory usage rises constantly, white map on mapchange when memory usage is quite high and shortly after that it crashes.

Jezebelle's problem was reported before and seems to be an different issue.

I think it's an ATI problem, some crashes showed an error in atioglxx.dll (shown by windows error reoprts: wercon.exe). Also the fact that console view slows memory grew indicates this.

csiga could you verify that your Lenovo T500 has an ATI video card?

Ok, I've opened Task Manager and ran EL to check how much memory it uses ... Problem is definetely some serious memory leak! It increases about 3MB per second! Console mode slows it down to about 1MB per second :D It crashed after it reached usage of 1.6GB of memory after about 19 mins ... Here's the pic:

r8sggz.jpg

Edited by samuraj

I have compiled also a version from CVS earlier and tried it on testserver, resulted the same effect. Will try your version too.

As I remember good, there was an almost similar problem while using Intel GMA chipsets on MacOSX.

I know OpenGL is very sensitive to the buffer sizes what you always have to ask from the current system,

I had no time to look over the sources (as not familiar with the client source architecture yet) but I guess the problem may come from

some missing opengl checks and/or releases (how many textures can exists, how much steps possible in rendering stack etc.).

Is there a common way to debug the client (I guess its not so simple because the client may use clock synchronization with the server or similar thing)?

I know there is an openGL profiler on MacOSX which able to check the opengl calls and memory parameters outside from an application (I also good for eliminating rendering-related memory leaks),

I found there is gDebugger for windows 7 too (currently beta). Will take a look on it.

P.S: I posted it wrong first time, I has 3-5MB/seconds too.

To everybody: when you are running custom clients please do on testserver only (I think this is the legal way anyway).

Edited by csiga

I run windows 7 professional and I every so often crash but not every 15 or even every hour... Memory wise it doesnt seem to pull more as it continues to stay open.

Are you running it as an admin?

Zamolxes

HI,

I am running into the same problem. client close down after aprox. 6 minutes it increase the memory with like 4mb/second and crashed around 2,8 gig used (71%).

I run as administrator, use small screen.

After download I got message that the program was not installed correctly "try install correctly using settings that are compatible with this version of windows".

I tried to remove and Install with recommandet settings (win xp sp2), but did not make any difference.

I closed the animation program because graphics failure.

ACER AS M7721/ i7-920Ci7/ 4GB/ 1TB/ ATI Radeon™ HD 5850-1GB (driver 23.09.2009 - 8.661.0.0)

Windows 7-64

~Lan~

I remember there was a similar thread about memory slowly being eaten.

One working solution seemed to be downgrading your ATI catalyst drivers to 9.7 or below.

For reference, that thread is here.

Might be worth a try?

yea, i don't even play EL nowadays, but i think i can still post here because everyone is so clueless :confused: (and because I used to have that same problem for a while)

Edited by Choris

Eeek I just noticed I have Mobility Radeon, so there is no new driver yet which will fix this bug. :S

I used this tool which lets you install regular drivers on mobility cards.

Works fine on my HD 4570, no 100 % guarantee though.

Hi,

I have the same problem like Csiga on Win7, Lenovo W500, ATI Mobility FireGL 5700.

I just wonder if Csiga or someone else has solved this problem or if the only help is to wait till driver update...

Ty,

Holar

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.