Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

PK arenas change

(4)Boost pots should have some effect in that arena. I really think about what do drink and when to drink boost pots is part of the "pk skill", i would not like it to go away. I know, it makes pk slightly more expensive, but i really have fun seeing the cooldown and thinking what pot to drink next to match the opponent, etc, its great fun;

Potions work fine in the arena, except for a/d potions.

Really?

I did a little test with LightLan the other day, with him using items i believe would have made him just able to hit me 'well', and then (with me already at the attrib cap for coord and inst) i sunk coord and wilderness potions to see if my dodging ability went up... i saw not effect at all.

but kk if you say they're working, great, i'll just write it off as a bad test ^^

Oh, sorry, I meant the accuracy and evasion and stuff. The attributes and a/d will be capped (although their potions work up to the cap).
Well, i was talking about a/d/coord/wildness/reasoning/etc pots, its fun to drink them while pking, my suggestion was to make them have some effect on the capped arenas, like you gain an "effective" bonus of +5 of attack when you drink a potion, instead of increasing your attack skill by 5. Its some minor stuff, but it improves the pk "feeling", at least for me.

It doesn't really bother me one way or the other, but... if you're not popping an extra few k gc in potions every time you go fight, wouldn't this actually cut down on the "high cost of PKing" (one of the previous complaints)?

It doesn't really bother me one way or the other, but... if you're not popping an extra few k gc in potions every time you go fight, wouldn't this actually cut down on the "high cost of PKing" (one of the previous complaints)?
(4)Boost pots should have some effect in that arena. I really think about what do drink and when to drink boost pots is part of the "pk skill", i would not like it to go away. I know, it makes pk slightly more expensive, but i really have fun seeing the cooldown and thinking what pot to drink next to match the opponent, etc, its great fun;
Btw, you don't really use few k's of gc on a/d/coord/etc pots, the pots are cheap enough. I just liked the effects of cooldown on them and you have to think about what pot to drink next, it adds fun on the pking, imho. Not a big deal either, i think the arenas are perfectly fine without them, it would just be a little more fun with them.

Are these set in stone changes now? Or is this a trial to see how well the changes go?

I'm happy to return to the game and remodel my character, but it would be nice to know if the changes are going to stay (Most importantly, the attribute cap).

Edited by Peeves

Potions work fine in the arena, except for a/d potions.

Really?

I did a little test with LightLan the other day, with him using items i believe would have made him just able to hit me 'well', and then (with me already at the attrib cap for coord and inst) i sunk coord and wilderness potions to see if my dodging ability went up... i saw not effect at all.

but kk if you say they're working, great, i'll just write it off as a bad test ^^

Oh, sorry, I meant the accuracy and evasion and stuff. The attributes and a/d will be capped (although their potions work up to the cap).
Well, i was talking about a/d/coord/wildness/reasoning/etc pots, its fun to drink them while pking, my suggestion was to make them have some effect on the capped arenas, like you gain an "effective" bonus of +5 of attack when you drink a potion, instead of increasing your attack skill by 5. Its some minor stuff, but it improves the pk "feeling", at least for me.

Accuracy and Evasion potions are singularly powerful, costly and have no cooldown... they're just a gc sink.

All the skill and attribute potions are cheap and have cooldown... and most importantly, they all cause each other to go on cooldown, so you can't just slam them down. You make tactical decisions based on how well you're doing in the fight to determine which to use and when.

They're a balanced and fun variable to have in PvP fights.

Edited by Korrode

All the skill and attribute potions are cheap and have cooldown... and most importantly, they all cause each other to go on cooldown, so you can't just slam them down. You make tactical decisions based on how well you're doing in the fight to determine which to use and when.

Boosters can still be used in DPA by making build with 12 pps spend on each attribute so they are at 16. Drink potion and get maxed attribute (for dpa) for 2 minutes. This saves pps for perks or attributes that give stats that won't cap. Obviously solution for dpa specialized char, not really for a main that's used for higher level bashing though.

I tried the arena yesterday, that was fun.

What i realized was that NMT perk and Bronze swords owns that arena. Who have evanescence, mirror, etc... have a even higher advantage

That was fun, i've saw lot of noob chars owning higher a/d ppl (me included). Since my bronze swords brakes very eaasily, i wont be fighting in that arena, but im sure some ppl will.

Good job radu. I hope it doesnt slows KF activities wich is funnier imo.

Edit/Question

Are you thinking about make KJ arena ND? Since its a multi arena i think there would be lots of activities in there and i can use my summons ;).

No bricks to your castle, but multi maps reduce ppl defense witch increase the break rate (right?)

Edited by Tico

played in the arena's for a while now, and altough i like the concept of fighting without the risk of losing your items. It also tends to get a little boring to keep wasting your resources.

So i came up with a slight idea. (shoot me if already suggested before)

Make the arena's drop again BUT:

Place an NPC somewhere close to the arena. This NPC buys and sells Arena Tokens. or might be a good way to bring back platinum.

Sells for 5k

Buys for 4k (moneysink)

The arena token works like a rosto for that arena only.

Edited by nightraver

It also tends to get a little boring

and an arena token makes it exciting? oh my, buying a ticket before every fight is so awesome, man someone call a doctor in case we get a heartattack from all the excitement

played in the arena's for a while now, and altough i like the concept of fighting without the risk of losing your items. It also tends to get a little boring to keep wasting your resources.

So i came up with a slight idea. (shoot me if already suggested before)

Make the arena's drop again BUT:

Place an NPC somewhere close to the arena. This NPC buys and sells Arena Tokens. or might be a good way to bring back platinum.

Sells for 5k

Buys for 4k (moneysink)

The arena token works like a rosto for that arena only.

The only way paying for "fun" works if the cost justifies it.

Arena tickets could work, if the tickets purchased would be the 'prize' for the victor. Of course it would require some loss for

combined tickets, or it will be exploited to make money. However this is another Duel Arena type suggestion, but I do think something

similar to this could work, since real life experience shows, Sports & Gambling have a great appeal (and willing money pit).

and an arena token makes it exciting? oh my, buying a ticket before every fight is so awesome, man someone call a doctor in case we get a heartattack from all the excitement

Agreed. No need to increase costs for no reason.

I know i didnt put it there the first time, must have forgotten, but ofc the idea is that the token will be dropped when you die. (so not really like a rosto) So the other can pick it up.

and i do not see how this could be exploited?

You buy a token for a certain amount of gc from an NPC and you can sell it back to the npc for less money.

I like the token idea. Decreases the cost of pvping (Everyone loves nodrop arenas because it makes pvp cheap), and makes a reward for killing somone. (Which attracts people that dislike nodrop pvp because you risk breaking stuff with no reward)

I thought this was meant to be boring to people who are good at pk....or at least that they would have incentive to go to KF if they don't like it.

Having token would add a gc requirement which would make it less likely for a new person to try it out. I read most of this thread and it seems to be a means to introduce people to pking and I seriously doubt they would want to try out pk if they have to pay for it.

If you want more excitement, try weaker armor. :)

What you would call a person that does good under the token method is a "token farmer" who is busy "stealing token from newbs and noobs".

Edited by nathanstenzel

Those arena tokens are an awesome idea. They should make kf that way too, tbh.

Doesn't make sense that the person who wins the fight (probably) loses more money than the one who gets owned. Would make it worth using some consumables in fights, increasing the market for them (stones, acc/eva pots, also bronze swords in a way, etc).

I don't think the idea was so much about begginers owning the pros and increasing their motivation to play or something like that, but having an arena in which weaker characters can have an even fight against stronger characters. No gear restrictment makes it impossible for begginers to even have a chance, not even talking about magic. However, it has proved to make for relatively interesting fights amongst the decently leveled and skilled players.

Edited by idefix

stealing token from newbs and noobs
Pking is not stealing.

No , it isnt.

The token idea sounds great, but perhaps a time limit on them to , maybe a few hours , so people cant walk off to sto and they end up rotting away un used and then turning up in some wierd data collection system as in game, but not actually in game

Pking is not stealing.

Sorry if you didn't understand what I meant here.

I was suggesting that such a situation would be like a playground bully stealing the lunch money from a weak little kid.

If you think about it from the newb perspective, I am sure you can see what I mean.

I was suggesting that such a situation would be like a playground bully stealing the lunch money from a weak little kid.

If you think about it from the newb perspective, I am sure you can see what I mean.

I can't... usually there is a big red sign at the entrance of the map, if you still go in, you are betting your items/rosto/token... I would say a pker would "win" the bet and get token or items...

I can't... usually there is a big red sign at the entrance of the map, if you still go in, you are betting your items/rosto/token... I would say a pker would "win" the bet and get token or items...

Aye. Besides, the few k gc isn't that horrible a loss, even for a newb.

Aye. Besides, the few k gc isn't that horrible a loss, even for a newb.

Depends on your definition of newb, but I imagine you mean a person that can at least fight a goblin in a boxing match and win.

I seriously doubt anyone lower than that would attempt an arena very often due to risk of running into someone stronger, although I know for a fact that some players less than a week into the game have found arenas and boxed in them. New players in an arena is very rare though.

Pking is not stealing.

You'd be a lot better off if you didn't comment/suggest on any PK related threads especially when you don't practice/compete in the sport in question.

Pking is not stealing.

You'd be a lot better off if you didn't comment/suggest on any PK related threads especially when you don't practice/compete in the sport in question.

I hate to burst your bubble, but I have used that arena before. I just have not used it since the change or in the last 5 months.

Don't assume you know what I do or don't do.

Also, if newbs are mentioned, I will most likely post. Newbs are my business.

Who posts or does not post is NOT your business.

Edited by nathanstenzel