Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bkc56

Final Vote: Main->PK Char Copy Proposal

I am still up for the copying idea I just think more needs to be looked into it.

What we need is Ents views on this and what he is willing to do, a clarification of what will happen and what wont. there still many questions un answered

Like i keep saying unless 30+players want to copy there chars over then i don't think they will stay anyway and as for getting pkers over here then we will have to listen to them and what they want.

What i think would be the best idea at the moment would be for Radu or even Asgnny to make a post in the main forum if he makes it then it will be taken seriously. Asking mains players what they would want to come over here or to be copied over here and what would make this server more attractive to them. then see what they come up with.

From that Radu would decide what would be for the best for both us and then and put the proposal to us. But if either of these guys are prepared to put some time into this we would probably have to have some give and take if we want to make this place a busier one

Handy

Similar to handy above: I'm changing my vote to NO unless some safeguards to prevent char copying abuse are added to the proposal.

The spirit or intent of the proposal was to make it easier for new players to come to the server (eliminate the #1 starting over from zero issue). That could possibly be extended to current players who's main char might be better than what they currently have here.

The proposal is NOT so people can buy chars from other people, or copy multiple chars to the server to buy their way to top rankings. But that's exactly what is going to happen. So unless we can prevent that, I no longer think it would be a good thing for this server.

There are several ways to prevent abuse, but they're all messy, or extra work for Entropy, or complicated. For example:

* Use a script/program to verify the IP address for a copied char on both servers; verify that the owner of the main is the one playing the copy. (extra work for Entropy)

* Put skill caps on all the skills (not just a/d), something like 2/3 of the highest level for each skill currently on the server. So my 36 tailoring would mean no char with tailoring above 24 could be copied. This would prevent a sudden flood of new #1 skill levels. (complex to monitor and manage)

* Limit copies to new characters only. Only a partial fix. (not fair to weak players who have a good main char they'd have copied instead if it had been an option)

* Limit copies to a narrow a/d range (like 70-90) since most fighters won't have strong other skills. (very limiting in what can be copied)

Basically, I want the proposal as it was intended, not as it can be abused or gotten around with loopholes and char buying. I've always been a shaky, just-barely yes. Now I'm a shaky, just-barely no.

some ways to limit abuse

1: only 1 copy per char from main can be made (easy to monitor) and will save mulitple copies of the same char.

2: Instead of up to 90 a/d chars between 60-90 a/d can be copied. Most a/d players dont wont be high end manuers/potter/ rangers/mages. (this is just and idea that will need to be worked on)

3: limit other skill levels more work for radu

4:only copy in batches ( say 30 players have to sign up for the idea like originaly when the server started 100 players have to sign up before radu started it) this way its easyier to monitor what and who is being copied also Ent would get $450 every batch at $15 each copy which would pay for some monitoring or even more $$ is copy price was higher.

5: some rule against abusing this idea. ok again it takes time to monitor but players would soon inform on any abuser and then its just a case of checking logs i guess ( again abuse rules would need to be looked at )

Any other ideas and yes these are just off the top of my head ideas

all input welcome

Handy

yeah. how often does that happen? mos evenings there are 30 players online (including bots)

All the time

but at its peek you are right 30 players including Bots = 16 Alts not players, also take into account there are some people that are afk and most players have at least 1 alt some have several, I use up to 5 when im on. So break it down to most evenings there are 5-10 people playing

with some afk.

Next time you are one just say Hi in channel and see how many respond

There are 5 Players Online:</FONT>

Antio Backslasher dht Ironfist Rogue34

There are 14 Bots Online:</FONT>

Canned Donkeh Gossip Odin PkAnt_1 PkAnt_11 PkAnt_12 PkAnt_14 PkAnt_19 PkAnt_2 PkAnt_20 PkAnt_3 PkAnt_37 PkAnt_Queen

Most users ever online was 90 on Sun Dec 30 20:42:06 2007

Strange i always get it like this:

This page is updated every 30 seconds.

There are 21 Players Online:

Antio bkc56 dht Enius ernte evillurks grendel Hachi Idefix Ironfist kaldoon Mental nautilus Peer_pressure petroc RedruM RotationZ Sergey theno1jackass wifeofjackass worstnightmare

There are 14 Bots Online:

Canned Donkeh Gossip Odin PkAnt_1 PkAnt_11 PkAnt_12 PkAnt_14 PkAnt_19 PkAnt_2 PkAnt_20 PkAnt_3 PkAnt_37 PkAnt_Queen

Most users ever online was 90 on Sun Dec 30 20:42:06 2007

<edit>

Erm can we just forget about this idea, n think of more productive ways of promoting pkserver

</edit>

Edited by RotationZ

If all choices were simply the call of the 'majority' I guess the 'majority' wouldn't be so happy anymore.

Whenever I play, there is at pretty much always someone to talk to :)

This is not the only possible solution to a problem, voting 'NO' does not mean you vote against more players...

Edit: if we get copied chars ill have fun hunting tho :huh: dunno how long that lasts but its gotta count.

Edited by ProHibited

This proposal has been put on hold. That doesn't mean it's dead, but it's blocked until a fix can be developed.

I've had a couple PM exchanges with Entropy about ways to keep the intent of the proposal but also prevent abuse. So far everything is too much extra work for the small fee of $15 per char. I haven't asked what would make it worth it as even an increase to $25/char would probably also kill the idea.

So for the time being I guess people will just have to level their characters the old-fashioned way - work for it. And let's keep thinking about ways to make this idea work in the most positive way possible. We may yet save it.

This proposal has been put on hold. That doesn't mean it's dead, but it's blocked until a fix can be developed.

I've had a couple PM exchanges with Entropy about ways to keep the intent of the proposal but also prevent abuse. So far everything is too much extra work for the small fee of $15 per char. I haven't asked what would make it worth it as even an increase to $25/char would probably also kill the idea.

So for the time being I guess people will just have to level their characters the old-fashioned way - work for it. And let's keep thinking about ways to make this idea work in the most positive way possible. We may yet save it.

If you consider you get a 8/8 A/D character, P2P for $50... everything else that comes bellow that is strange to me. I think I posted that when I first saw this idea coming up...

So far everything is too much extra work for the small fee of $15 per char.
If you consider you get a 8/8 A/D character, P2P for $50...
That's a very good point in terms of value. On the other hand, $50 to try the PK server might be a bit high for a lot of folks and prevent the influx of new players this idea is trying to generate.