Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bkc56

Final Vote: Main->PK Char Copy Proposal

There's been a bunch of talk in-game about the potential negative effects of various high-level skills suddenly appearing. If you want to change your vote one way or the other feel free to edit your post. Due to the ongoing discussions (complaining??) we'll leave the vote open for a few days more at least.

Votes for PK Char Copy Proposal

Guys i know this is a very importaint step for the Pk server and loads of discusions are still going on. So below i have put a summory of the votes so far. If you are having second thoughts you are still able to post and change your vote Bkc will run this for a little while longer for you all to make sure you are all sure on your votes.

Yes

Patriot/Talon18

Bkc56

Goot/Bromber

Chris

Requiem

Petroc

Rogue

Cyprom

Shadow

Spike

Theno1jackass

Andi_ROX

KoDdy

Piggy

No

ProHibited

Rotation

Yaser

Area

Dht

DarkGuard

Lewis carrol

Handyman (Unless minimum of 30 new players were copied in the first batch then it would be a yes)

Abstain

Segor

Im not going to go on again about pro's and con's just make sure you are happy with your vote and post if you want to change it

Thanks Handyman

Edited by handyman

I changed my vote because it's pretty obvious that this idea and duscussion is splitting up the server, many veterans might leave because of this, and quite honestly, not so many active players will join IMO.

There are other ways to do it. Slower, but better.

I changed my vote because it's pretty obvious that this idea and duscussion is splitting up the server, many veterans might leave because of this, and quite honestly, not so many active players will join IMO.

There are other ways to do it. Slower, but better.

up dated

Handy

I'm not that keen on this idea even if I could benefit myself from it.

Speculation: Maybe a load of highish characters will get copied, but once the new comers get bored they will dump their chars selling them left and right. So now existing players don't have to work at it, they just buy from an array decent cheap characters. It also feels like it would make a mockery of the hard work existing players have done on pk server, all while sacrificing the large player population main has for interacting with.

Rant: Why did I spend over a year on pk server leveling when I could of continued to play on main instead, and advance my non a/d skills while I wait for THE CHAR COPY to come around one day?

Anyway if it has to go through then let it be:

Copy Allowed IF [(A+D)/2<=90 & A<=100 & D<=100]

Instead of just IF [A<=90 & D<=90] :P

I'm not that keen on this idea even if I could benefit myself from it.

Speculation: Maybe a load of highish characters will get copied, but once the new comers get bored they will dump their chars selling them left and right. So now existing players don't have to work at it, they just buy from an array decent cheap characters. It also feels like it would make a mockery of the hard work existing players have done on pk server, all while sacrificing the large player population main has for interacting with.

Rant: Why did I spend over a year on pk server leveling when I could of continued to play on main instead, and advance my non a/d skills while I wait for THE CHAR COPY to come around one day?

Anyway if it has to go through then let it be:

Copy Allowed IF [(A+D)/2<=90 & A<=100 & D<=100]

Instead of just IF [A<=90 & D<=90] :P

I have taken that as a NO ans edited the post accordingly

Handy

I think it may be wise to forge this idea into something else, so that more players are happy with it.

How about a limited char copy auction (10 chars),

Where the owners bid and the best 10 bids get the chance to copy over their character from main. (same stuff applies as suggested here already)

I think it may be wise to forge this idea into something else, so that more players are happy with it.

I would love to further fine-tune this proposal into something I could be 100% in favor of instead of just 55% (or so). The problem is that any solution I can think of to deal with the potential issues requires more work on Entropy's end which I doubt he'd be willing to do.

But I'd have no problem dropping this thread and opening a new vote on a modified proposal (if we had something worth the effort).

Edited by bkc56

I know,what mean for many of people pk server, cause i played

there long time and not only for one character and know how is that be there

whole day alone and don't meet anybody,so ....

Vote YES

- KoDdy

first of all , im not voting or voicing an opinion , im just asking a dumb question :)

my char from main is about 92/98 a/d I think and that means I would be allowed to copy it to the PK server if this goes ahead ?

I mean my question is dumb because im crap at deciphering formulas like ( x=y2 =<90 ) :confused:

my char from main is about 92/98 a/d I think and that means I would be allowed to copy it to the PK server if this goes ahead ?

Well the formula isn't official, but no, neither the proposal or the suggested formula would allow that char to be copied.

Put the Swine clan down for a Yes.

I'm a bit skeptical, but for bringing in new players I think it's a good idea.

Ok the tally so far reads

Yes: = 14

No: = 8

Abstain: = 1

so i guess its last chance saloon if you either need to vote or change your mind or come up with a better proposal

Handy

Edited by handyman

Timer permitting, I shall probably compose the results PM to Entropy tonight. It will then be his call on doing it, and on the last two variable points of the proposal.

If this were to happen, I would strongly recommend that the characters in question be MOVED, rather than copied. Otherwise the results will likely be one uber character being carbon copied time after time to the PK server, among other problems I'd rather not discuss here.

Otherwise the results will likely be one uber character being carbon copied time after time to the PK server...

The proposal specifically calls for one copy per char, so multiples shouldn't be much of a problem.

...among other problems I'd rather not discuss here.

Please discuss those with Entropy in case there's a problem or hole we haven't thought of yet. Better to figure it out BEFORE rather than after.

While I am waiting for mobs to take the bait, I will sum up the problems that will arise if this proposal is given the green light.

More strong characters;

-Strong Mages, Rangers and Mixers!

-All at the disposal of current & future PK-server players for 15-30$

Infinite characters to pick from;

-Compare PK-scores to MAIN-scores, one will notice there are many more high leveled characters then there will ever be players on the PK-server.

-There will always be MORE chars available if the demand grows (due to some new players for example).

Starting a new skill is less attractive;

-Characters from main already excel in the available skills.

-Why bother spending 900k on AP while a pre-leveled ranger is already available?

In my opinion, these negative consequences negatively disrupt the server causing both NEW and EXISTING players to loose interest in starting NEW skills. Lack of interest in NEW skills will promote the use of already trained skills, reducing diversity in playing styles.

Grinding over the same skills/habits can lead to bored players, who will play less. Although more players could be playing the pk server, less may be online at a given time, reducing activity.

Soluti0n/Alternating idea's;

-Limited char copy: AUCTION:

-10 chars 'given' the opportunity to 'copy' in an auction.

-Reduces all previously mentioned problems, while still introducing a handfull of new players.

-If it is an success this auction could be repeated a few months later to bring another handfull of players.

-Unlimited char TRANSFER:

-Work put into all those PRO characters will be transfered instead of DUPLICATED.

-More commitment from the players who transfer over, less risk of chars buying sold to existing players.

-Just seems more logical/realistic/fair...

-Possibly skip the OA reset part, enables new players to get in on the action immediately.

-Unlimited char BUYING;

-Buying a char for ? 50$ with a set of pre-leveled skills plus a small storage.

-Enables new players to get in on the action from the beginning for a reletively small fee which goes to Radu, some income

-No issues with TOO high chars being copied

-Wow did I think this up?

Can other please give input on alternating ideas! Thanks a lot.

Cheers!

ProHibited

when i voted yes this is what i posted

One stipulation i would have liked to of added and maybe Radu will take into account

This would be no good if only a 1 or 2 players got a char copied over from the main server so maybe a minimum to start it off. Similar to when the pk server was originally started we needed at least 100 players interested before Ent would start it

And i think that is valid

What am not sure about at the moment is how many people are actually interested in this idea from the main server I personally would have liked more feed back from them and get some sort of idea of how many would want to come over here and play if any.

What i dont want to happen is for this to go ahead and find out all we get is some players copying chars just to make some $$ and ending up with no higher player base than we have now.

OK some of the people that play here now are more likely to stay if they can copy a higher lvl char over. But I'm not sure its worth the risk.

Also the idea of putting cool down on pots and rings (which would help pk also bring more interest to this server from main) I got a reply from Ent and respect his decision. we could have either one or the other as it is now or cool down back on everything which would include food :icon13: so that is not an option

So i am changing my vote to No

Unless the stipulation i have mentioned was in the proposal At least 30 new players were to be copied over in the first lot

Handy

Well I'm about ready to switch my vote also. :icon4:

1. Pro is correct with his cautions. They're some of the same concerns I mentioned clear back in my original base-note. I've always been a shaky 55/45 in favor of this, but I'm dropping.

2. I had a talk with asgnny yesterday after his post. Nothing he said helped calm my concerns about abuse. :)

3. Handy has been one of the stronger supporters of this idea. Him flipping his vote is significant.

So how do we address the potential abuse problem? There are several ways, but they aren't working.

1. We make no trading/buying of a transfer a rule. It wouldn't be that hard to have a script/program that checks the logs for the IP used for a char on PK/Main (then use the same tests used on main to verify ownership). But Entropy doesn't want to (to much work).

2. It could be a char move instead of a char copy. But even if we reduced the pain of moving (for example no reset), I think very few would take the plunge.

3. We could set maximums on all skills (not just a/d). Say 2/3's of the server's current highest level in any skill. But that would be too restrictive and too complex and again we'd get few if any people coming over.

4. The char buying idea (see Pro's post) has potential, but I suspect Ent would veto that also (to much work).

I still think the base idea (if honored in spirit and in practice) is good. But if we can't find a way to close the holes, we're going to have more people switch their votes.

It seems that the main concern is about abuse is copying the same character a lot of times. I had originally suggested that once a character is copied, that character may not be copied again for a set amount of time (2-3 months or so), I don't know how much work would be involved in that though. If this were the case, as long as the character copy was paid for each time, the character was under the skill cap, etc.. I don't really see an issue.

the option of making it a character move rather than a copy seems rather pointless to me. I doubt that would bring in enough new players to make it worth while.

I guess we have to stick to the good ole' giving chars away thingy. But do it more often and stuff. I might have a few ideas.

And we need advertisement, that's for sure. E.g. try to find the page about the PK server on the el-wiki -.- I'll try to fix that tho.