Eternal Lands Official Forums
LabRat

getdeb.net will be packaging eternal lands

http://www.getdeb.net is a site that compiles software into debian linux compatible .deb packages and maintains them through new releases.

For Eternal Lands this would mean that the client would have a build for various versions of linux with a constantly updated release client.

No more cryptic scripts, just a simple click on a link or "apt-get install Eternal-Lands" once getdeb is set up.

I requested getdeb do this quite a while back, in the last few minutes action has been taken to get the ball rolling.

See you all soon I hope

Regards

Greg/Labby

Nice work :w00t: I actually found EL because someone took the time to insert it into a Gentoo repository. Making it easier for players, both new and old, to find and install EL is a good thing.

Funny you should post this because I was just thinking about making this for eternal lands.

By the way, is it possible for me to compile eternal lands from source?

By the way, is it possible for me to compile eternal lands from source?

Yes.

It's a walk in the park on Linux, and not terribly difficult on Windows either.

To build from current CVS:

For Windows, here's a guide:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35624

For Linux, install CVS and the libraries listed here:

http://elc.berlios.de/build.php

Then in a terminal, somewhere you have write access, do:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.elc.berlios.de:/cvsroot/elc login
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.elc.berlios.de:/cvsroot/elc co elc

It will make a directory called "elc" and check out the code to there.

cd into that elc directory and make a copy of make.defaults called make.conf, then build the client. i.e.

cd elc
cp make.defaults make.conf
make -f Makefile.linux

(remember this is all case sensitive; you will need to do a capital "M" for the 'Makefile.linux' bit)

So long as you have all required libraries installed, etc., you now should have an el.x86.linux.bin file, that's your compiled client.

The only other thing I can think to note is that you can strip debug data from the binary if you like (that data is not at all needed to run the client), it will make the binary a lot smaller.

strip el.x86.linux.bin

I'm not sure off the top of my head where to get the code for the current stable release client (or how to have CVS check out the release client version of the code from Berlios).

--------------------

@Forum admins:

I checked the pinned threads in the Programming section for a step-by-step guide (like what i've written above) for people with no experience using CVS or compiling anything on Linux to link to, but there doesn't appear to be one, hence why i posted the steps... I can post the above in Programming for stickying if wanted... unless not providing a guide for compiling the development release of the client for people with no development experience is intentional :w00t:

Yeah, I know how to compile it and stuff, I just wasn't sure where the source files were. Thanks for the help Korrode :w00t:

Is there a list of all the libraries I have to install before compiling it? I installed libxml2 but I still got some errors while compiling

Edited by cycrosism

Is there a list of all the libraries I have to install before compiling it? I installed libxml2 but I still got some errors while compiling
For Linux, install CVS and the libraries listed here:

http://elc.berlios.de/build.php

All required ones should be listed there...

But, to be honest, the way i ended up with all the requirements to build EL on my system was by doing 'apt-get build-dep' for bluap's EL Debian packages, see here for more details/info:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...st&p=505339

You can probably do the stuff in my first 2 codeblocks on that post, with the exception of the last line (~$ apt-get -b source eternallands), and end up definitely having everything required to compile CVS installed.

The only other hiccup i then encountered was with ensuring i had the appropriate glx-dev package for my system, which you can see details of on that thread.

EDIT:

Err that's assuming you're running Debian lol

Edited by Korrode

I'll be very glad when all I have to do to install EL is fire up my package manager, search for Eternal Lands, and install it. I think this will get a lot more Linux users playing because they will see it in their list of available applications, instead of having to search the internet for Linux games.

I'll be very glad when all I have to do to install EL is fire up my package manager, search for Eternal Lands, and install it.

Well, for Debian-based distros, you can have that now, so long as you've added the appropriate package repos...

I think this will get a lot more Linux users playing because they will see it in their list of available applications, instead of having to search the internet for Linux games.

Although i truly commend what LabRat's doing, it wont make people "see it in their list of available applications" until they've added the a 3rd-party package repo, which is the same as it is now... what this will mainly achieve is that EL will be in a (somewhat?) popular 3rd-party repository.

I agree with your sentiment though, if EL could be added to the official repositories for a variety of distros (i.e. making it come up when a person searches for "MMORPG" in their package manager on a fresh install), would be really good.

AFAIK the issues with getting that done for some popular distros has been that they don't like the licence the client is under...

Maybe GPL the client :)

edit: typo

Edited by Korrode

While this can only help bring more people to Eternal Lands, don't forget we already have perfectly working deb packages for Ubuntu and Debian that can be installed using the instructions here. In fact, the new getdeb packages are derived from these originals. I will continue to keep these up to date.

we already have perfectly working deb packages for Ubuntu and Debian

hey bluap did you ever figure out / look more into the thing with the binary in the Debian package, built on your Intel video Debian box, maybe doesn't work on non-Intel video (or, non Mesa OpenGL) systems?

I know this issue was never completely confirmed (as i was installing Lenny packages on a Squeeze system), but prolly worth looking into...

If you like i can do a Lenny install on some box w/ nvidia video and test...

we already have perfectly working deb packages for Ubuntu and Debian

hey bluap did you ever figure out / look more into the thing with the binary in the Debian package, built on your Intel video Debian box, maybe doesn't work on non-Intel video (or, non Mesa OpenGL) systems?

I know this issue was never completely confirmed (as i was installing Lenny packages on a Squeeze system), but prolly worth looking into...

If you like i can do a Lenny install on some box w/ nvidia video and test...

Thanks for bringing that up while I'm trying to suggest we have working deb packages already. :P

Is this is one instance of a problem, it is with the debian version which I cannot build on all platform and using official servers. getdeb appear to only support Ubuntu anyway. The fact remains that there have been possibly thousands of downloads of these packages (I stopped checking months ago). There have been very few issues, most if not all the Ubuntu issues are due to failed/cut short downloads and can be fixed simply (the launcher now detects and offers help on this). The other thing to keep in mind is that I also provide a package based on latest CVS and separate sound and music packages. Also that being located in a proper repository, users are offered updates when available, using the standard package update tools. The packages are also signed.

To be honest, I had forgotten about your graphics issue. I have recently been working on building amd64 versions for debian (32/64 already available or Ubuntu). I have change the way I build 32 bit too so when I'm done with that, may be you can check if the new package works for you.

Thanks for bringing that up while I'm trying to suggest we have working deb packages already. :P

Soz :(

At least, your Ubuntu packages always worked just fine on my Debian Squeeze system :> xD

I have change the way I build 32 bit too so when I'm done with that, may be you can check if the new package works for you.

Sure, just lmk when the new packages are in the repo. :)

Damn, Korrode. Good job. Helping with some compile issues. Now that, I must say, is one of your best set of posts.

What it "IMK"?

Good job to you too, Labby. :P

Edited by nathanstenzel

LMK = Let Me Know.

...and i'm more than happy to help developers with testing the client or players trying to get it to run or compile, always have been, just the majority of my posts on these forums have ended up being related to the combat system, a subject of which these days i tend to quickly get annoyed with others involved in the debates, for various reaons. :):P

LMK = Let Me Know.

...and i'm more than happy to help developers with testing the client or players trying to get it to run or compile, always have been, just the majority of my posts on these forums have ended up being related to the combat system, a subject of which these days i tend to quickly get annoyed with others involved in the debates, for various reaons. :):P

"LMK"? Ok. Thanks. I thought it was I as in Indigo.

Well, I imagine you would post most of your posts on combat if combat is your passion. It has always seemed to be your passion from my point of view.

I hope this DEB package being in the main distro will help DEBers find and start playing the game. I wonder if it is in the RedHat distro or Mandriva distro.

I hope this DEB package being in the main distro will help DEBers find and start playing the game. I wonder if it is in the RedHat distro or Mandriva distro.

They are not in the main distro. getdeb is just a website you can visit, search and download deb packages for Ubuntu that are not available in the main distro. I have been pursuing getting main distro adoption since I made the packages that are already available. The current licence is an issue for Debian. Ubuntu have just ignored my efforts.