PK Server Change  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Allow main char copy to PK server with wipe/reset

• I play the PK server and approve of this idea
    • I play the PK server and do NOT want this
    • I do NOT play the PK server, but would use this option
    • I do NOT play the PK server, and would NOT use this
    • None of the above, I'll post below

--When you say "copied over", does that mean the player will have both their character remaining on the main server PLUS a new identical copy on PK server or does that actually mean "transfered over" where they will not have a player on main server anymore, just the one character newly placed on PK server? I think that will affect greatly how many people will want to come.

--You all need to be sure about what you can live with and if it's worth having a horde of new people come in, many who will not respect whatever community rules you have already set up.

--Also keep in mind that you all better want this badly if you do it. Nobody is going to want to come to have the current playerbase lord their "oldbie-ness" over them.

Yes its a copy so the mains player still has its origanal char on the mains server and the copy on the PK server just like when they are copied to the test server.

We understand the change it will have on the PK server this is why the decision is a hard one but with under 10 active players on here now and no idea's left on how to get more people over here to play I guess this is the best option left.

The server has seen changes before. The so called community rules. the main one was no attacking during invasions but this was when The_piper was doing regular invasions and it was the highlight of the server.

I personaly think this will give the server the chance to become what it was meant to be in the first place a PK server

If not what do we have left and where will we be in another 6 months?

Ok this is my views but i think others share them too.

Would you like me to create a thread on General Chat, seeing how the Main server players will vote?

If you lot are up for that let me know and I will create something.

You might want to check with the powers that be first

But any form of advertising this must be a good idea If not a vote at least a thread players can say yes on the thread but that is up to you.

Handy

My question wasn't so much asking for a definition of copying, but whether that is really what ent thought he was possibly agreeing to. That should be clarified, I have seen both assumptions made in this thread alone.

Bkc will clarify when he loggs on as he is the person that has had discussions with Ent on this

Would you like me to create a thread on General Chat, seeing how the Main server players will vote?
Thanks for the offer, but we still need to take our final vote to see if the actual active players want this (the vote in this thread is tainted because we don't have that many active players and we've changed the proposal since the base-note). Once we're "go", and Entropy confirms the details and a start date, then I'll probably post something in general.

--When you say "copied over..."
Clearly a copy + wipe + reset. The main server char remains untouched, mostly so people can go back if they don't enjoy the PK server after a day/week/month/whatever.

--You all need to be sure ...
Believe me, we're well aware of the risk (it's been mentioned several times in the thread). That's why this is one of the longest threads we've had for a long time. At the very least, it will totally change the server. If the changes drive off all the old players it will be like a totally new server. It's a huge risk, but as has been stated multiple times: I think we know where the server is headed if something doesn't change. This is simply the most radical change suggested since the server started.

--Also keep in mind that you all better want this badly if you do it. Nobody is going to want to come to have the current playerbase lord their "oldbie-ness" over them.
It's a two-way street. Nobody is going to want a bunch of "newbs" blowing in like they own the place. A little bit of mutual respect will go a long way. Edited by bkc56

--When you say "copied over..."
Clearly a copy + wipe + reset. The main server char remains untouched, mostly so people can go back if they don't enjoy the PK server after a day/week/month/whatever.
I don't think it was so clear at all. It is easy to interchange a couple words and know what YOU mean but never so easy to be sure the other person means the same thing. All I pointed out is it would behoove everyone to be sure that is what Entropy was thinking as well (2 chars 1 on each server vs 1 char on PK server only). I can read, I know what bkc's words said, that doesn't mean that's what ent said/thinks. God knows I know how that can go.

--You all need to be sure ...
Believe me, we're well aware of the risk (it's been mentioned several times in the thread). That's why this is one of the longest threads we've had for a long time. At the very least, it will totally change the server. If the changes drive off all the old players it will be like a totally new server. It's a huge risk, but as has been stated multiple times: I think we know where the server is headed if something doesn't change. This is simply the most radical change suggested since the server started.
Yes, but has everybody who plays seen this thread? Does everybody agree? And I meant "what you can live with" in regards to how much advantage the new people coming in will have (full stats, partial stats, whatever) compared to you all having to start from scratch.

It's a two-way street. Nobody is going to want a bunch of "newbs" blowing in like they own the place. A little bit of mutual respect will go a long way.

But they will. Thats why I said you have to want this badly and be willing to play along with that. I'm just thinking of how well that attitude goes over on main server and just cautioning against the same thing.

I think you misunderstand the point of my post. It's not to poke holes in it, but to try to make sure everybody is all on the same page so there are as few upsets as possible if it actually happens.

Now I think about it some more, its just stupid. Some people don't want to level a new account, thats too bad. We may get more chars, but all skills will be useless with respect to time spend leveling. Now everyone can get high stats easily by copying someones char from main for some fee...

The whole server is different, so translating levels gained on one server to the other seems inappropriate. I doubt it will be worth it for any PK-server player.

If levels are for sale, players could get the option ($) to start with ~50 or ~70 a/d and some other skills instead of 8/8 what we have now.

Pro, you're points are absolutely correct and express part of my concern over the whole thing. I'm just not sure doing what we've been doing the last almost two years will do any better in the future.

And I'm not sure if we're really ready for a final vote yet. Aislinn's post is a good reminder of the risks and possible down-sides. Looks like some people may be changing their minds (like Pro's post up there). Perhaps we should sit on it a bit more.

There's absolutely no rush on this.

Edited by bkc56

In my completely personal opinion, I think it's exactly the rush that we need.

Take a look at topics like this

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51412

or this

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51402

There are quite a few people who would like to try more reachable goals, tho a majority of them doesn't want to lose their levels. The PK server and the character copying is the solution. So I think it's time to make a topic on the general chat to see what the main server players think about it. (Some of the points in the previously mentioned topics should be copy pasted there tho) And then, with some luck, we'll have the player base that could lead to a prosperous server.

It seems we're all agreed that a somewhat radical change is what is needed to transform the PK server into a higher population count server. By nature radical changes carry a relative amount of risk. The pro's and con's of the current idea have been extensively discussed, and it seems most of us have formulated an opinion on it. Maybe it's time for we PK people to vote on the current revised proposal and see if it passes. If it does, that means most of us are willing to accept the risk. If not, we have an opportunity to formulate a new plan. I suggest we move to a vote and see what happens.

Edited by Rogue34

I am not sure if everyone understands the change that comes with this idea.

In the ideal case, we only get new players, all taking one account with them. But as we all know, chars will be copied over to be sold/given away.

For me, I just started ranging and summoning, and am willing to spend pick points on those skills. But when I can just as well contact someone over at main and get a high level ranger/summoner for a few $, that kinda kills my motivation to start doing it on the account I have been working on all this time...

The same with all other skills, except a/d if you already got those near cap.

What if we all start using 'main' characters as our alts, doing instances with three players, all with 3 accounts at once.

I am not sure if everyone understands the change that comes with this idea.

I for one very clearly understand the risk that comes with this. I've stated several times (forum and in-game) how I'll miss my #1 rankings when a bunch of char transfers come over. The last couple months slaving on tailoring could be a total waste if a few level 50's or higher suddenly copy over.

I know that some people will ignore the spirit of the proposal and "buy" copies of friend's chars to build their own personal set of chars on the PK server. A good fighter, a couple good supplier chars, and for $50 they'll be set.

The only reason I'm personally considering supporting this is because I fear the alternative (status-quo) is no better.

But it's still good you pointed it out again.

Good idea I think, but no cooldown seems a bit silly to me on a pk server. Maybe just no cooldown on food and stuff to make mixing better.

No cooldown doesn't mean you can't die. You still have cooldown on spells, like restore and magic immunity. Other than that, it's pure tactics. either you want to kill your opponent, or kill him/her fast, it's up to you.

No cooldown doesn't mean you can't die.

Maybe not, but it does mean shitloads of resources get burned in PK, and there's basically a be-all-and-end-all single type of attribute build.

But as we all know, chars will be copied over to be sold/given away.

And again, char buyers kill all the fun of the game.

As usual...

Piper

No cooldown doesn't mean you can't die.

Maybe not, but it does mean shitloads of resources get burned in PK, and there's basically a be-all-and-end-all single type of attribute build.

Agree. Here's where team vs team comes into play.

Since the main vote is coming to an end, anyone who wishes to have some information about implications of this feature, feel free to ask.

Its much better to discuss things here then on the voting page.

I have a question;

-Is AP/Skeptic copied too?

So I voted NO with the reason:

More chars, but no guarantee we get ~half that many players or more. If we get too little extra players, that means there will be more accounts for everyone (basically...) so current levels (time investments) are worth less in that case.

If however, this option and certain other changes to the server will make the server much more interesting, char copying over a limited timespan (to prevent flooding/abuse) may indeed introduce a lot more players, reviving the server.

We basically do not know, and I suggest we take a more fool-proof solution, where the account on main also looses something (that could be the account or a reset, maybe more then 15$..).

Since the main vote is coming to an end, anyone who wishes to have some information about implications of this feature, feel free to ask.

Its much better to discuss things here then on the voting page.

I have a question;

-Is AP/Skeptic copied too?

So I voted NO with the reason:

More chars, but no guarantee we get ~half that many players or more. If we get too little extra players, that means there will be more accounts for everyone (basically...) so current levels (time investments) are worth less in that case.

If however, this option and certain other changes to the server will make the server much more interesting, char copying over a limited timespan (to prevent flooding/abuse) may indeed introduce a lot more players, reviving the server.

We basically do not know, and I suggest we take a more fool-proof solution, where the account on main also looses something (that could be the account or a reset, maybe more then 15$..).

The main worry is players that already play just copy over their high end mixers from main of maybe fighter so yes more chars but no more players that is why i posted the following when i said yes to the proposal

My Vote is YES for the proposal

One stipulation i would have liked to of added and maybe Radu will take into account

This would be no good if only a 1 or 2 players got a char copied over from the main server so maybe a minuim to start it off. Similar to when the pk server was originally started we needed at least 100 players interested before Ent would start it

At least 20 char's needed to be in the first batch to come over here to start this idea then individually after that

It says 20 but maybe it would be better at 30 and instead of chars it should of said new players i.e mains people that dont currantly play over here

Handy

But as we all know, chars will be copied over to be sold/given away.

And again, char buyers kill all the fun of the game.

As usual...

Piper

Char buyers dont kill all the fun, the make mroe fun imo. a person that has quit, sells there character, so now, you have someone else in game, plyaing ont he higher level character, buying higher level things, spending more gc, it helps everyone out.