Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SlimPickins

reduce skill level cap

There are many threads where people complain about players overpowered and lack of diversity. The way to fix this is to reduce the skill level caps, including oa, to 100. That way players will reach end game much faster. All the top players will be equally as strong stats wise, so strategy will matter much more than it does now.

This also has the potential to increase build diversity by causing players to have far fewer pp to use. No more 48 48 48 12 8 8. People will need to decide if they would rather have more C or P. Do they want to be summoners, mages, pure fighters, or whatever. Players will no longer be able to be all things at once. Players will have to specialize, thus creating the diversity so many people want.

A single player won't be able to kill very strong monsters, making teamwork necessary. This has added benefits, such as reducing the number of rare drops brought into the game, and people will no longer have to wait in line for spawns since it will take multiple players to fight high level monsters.

Another benefit is that people trying to increase their skill rank to make the top 10, or top 5, or whatever will no longer waste their time level grinding, and just play the game to have fun.

The only downsides that I can see will be that players with no friends will complain that they can no longer kill yetis and dragons alone, and level grinders with nothing better to do will no longer be able to brag that they're rank #1 in a particular skill.

So, what does everyone think?

<snip>...Players will no longer be able to be all things at once. Players will have to specialize, thus creating the diversity so many people want....<snip>

One of the major reasons I originally chose EL was because I did not have to specialize and CAN do all things at once at my whim.

Anything that takes that away from me gets a huge NO from me.

All the top players will be equally as strong stats wise,

To put it bluntly.................. What a load of bollox.

You have seem to have forgotten the major debate in another topic (which you yourself have posted in) about Pickpoint buying.

If A/D and OA is capped at 100 for example, the ability to buy PP's will INCREASE the gap between those who buy and those who dont not make it any less.

whatever will no longer waste their time level grinding, and just play the game to have fun.

That would need a major expansion of things for people to do... You reach the cap in your chosing skill and OA then what ? "Train another skill" I hear you say..erm what if people dont like the other skills. What if a fighter doesnt like sitting in a cave all day mixing, or a mixer doesnt like Fighting ?

That way players will reach end game much faster.

The words "End Game" and Eternal Lands don't mix.

Players will no longer be able to be all things at once. Players will have to specialize, thus creating the diversity so many people want.

The fact that people can work on every skill if they choose is so fundamentally important to this game that, of the sparse text on the front page of the official site, it is bolded for emphasis.

"Eternal Lands has no fixed classes or professions, so you can always do new things and develop new skills without having to create a new character!"

It's a primary factor in keeping a lot of people around for so long. You may personally be content with a single skill, but I'd have quit long ago if that was all I could do. I get to do a large variety of things, rather than pumping the same items day in and day out... like an alchemist...

You're suggesting what is nothing short of "dullest game ever" to many of us multi-skilled people.

Because I can do all I choose to do, this game has a much longer "shelf life" for me than it would most single-skillers. I always have some new goal to set for myself. I know it's doubtful I'll ever be "#1" in any one skill because of this, but I don't care. I prefer the variety that comes from being a jack of all trades over "being #1" any day.

Another benefit is that people trying to increase their skill rank to make the top 10, or top 5, or whatever will no longer waste their time level grinding, and just play the game to have fun.

You're 4th ranked in alchemy... I know how hard I had to work to get to where I am, how much grinding I had to do... tell me exactly, your definition of "fun" now that your game is over? (100 being your suggested "end game", you've ended your alchemy life long ago.)

So, what does everyone think?

I think... "What Aislinn Said". I'd be long gone if such low limitations were put in. I've beaten the "100" mark several times over now, you're telling me you want my game to be over now. I want it to be Eternal. If that's the Eternal challenge of trying to improve all my skills to the best of my ability, then that's my choice to make, not some horrid game limitation.

Edited by Burn

Add a soft-reset, with a 1-week cooldown, so players could re-specialize; add more armor/weps with different attribute-bonuses, remove pp buying, make cap at like 120 and done, you got a rly big diverse game

#edit or, you could leave it to 178 cap, so players could appear on tv after they die @ keyboard ;)

Edited by Soul

<snip>...Players will no longer be able to be all things at once. Players will have to specialize, thus creating the diversity so many people want....<snip>

One of the major reasons I originally chose EL was because I did not have to specialize and CAN do all things at once at my whim.

I guess some people want diversity and some don't. As someone once said, you can't please all the people all the time.

You have seem to have forgotten the major debate in another topic (which you yourself have posted in) about Pickpoint buying.

I didn't forget pp buying. I left it out because I didn't want my post to be too long. But if it makes my idea work better, change nexus removal to nexus relocation. There, no more pp buying.

You reach the cap in your chosing skill and OA then what ? "Train another skill" I hear you say..erm what if people dont like the other skills. What if a fighter doesnt like sitting in a cave all day mixing, or a mixer doesnt like Fighting ?

You don't have to stop using a skill just because you hit level 100 in it. Feel free to keep mixing or keep fighting or whatever. That's why you trained that skill, right? So you could be good at it and make use of it, right?

I know how hard I had to work to get to where I am, how much grinding I had to do... tell me exactly, your definition of "fun" now that your game is over? (100 being your suggested "end game", you've ended your alchemy life long ago.)

Reaching end game doesn't mean you stop playing. It just means you've maxed out your skills and can now enjoy the fruits of your labors; those fruits being high skill levels with which you can do high level stuff.

every day more and more dumb ideas

You said it's a dumb idea but you didn't say why.

Well, it seems most people who've posted don't like the idea of maxing out their skills. Frankly, I thought it was the using of those skills that was the fun part, not the ceaseless training. But hey, if training is why most people like EL, then I guess we should please most people and keep it that way.

At the very least, this thread was useful to get a better understanding of what it is about EL that people find appealing.

You reach the cap in your chosing skill and OA then what ? "Train another skill" I hear you say..erm what if people dont like the other skills. What if a fighter doesnt like sitting in a cave all day mixing, or a mixer doesnt like Fighting ?

You don't have to stop using a skill just because you hit level 100 in it. Feel free to keep mixing or keep fighting or whatever. That's why you trained that skill, right? So you could be good at it and make use of it, right?

Thats why I said a major expansion of content would be needed. If caps came in tommorrow, once you reach 100 A/D and OA , then outside of the odd invasion, 1 instance per level range (which after a few times are boring) or PKing then there is nothing to do, the game would become very stale very quick

I guess some people want diversity and some don't. As someone once said, you can't please all the people all the time.

I'm curious what your definition of diversity is, or how you can say I don't want it. Being restricted to one skill at a time and having a level cap doesn't sound very diverse to me.

Well, it seems most people who've posted don't like the idea of maxing out their skills. Frankly, I thought it was the using of those skills that was the fun part, not the ceaseless training. But hey, if training is why most people like EL, then I guess we should please most people and keep it that way.

At the very least, this thread was useful to get a better understanding of what it is about EL that people find appealing.

Looking at your replies, it doesn't seem as though you understand at all.

Thats why I said a major expansion of content would be needed. If caps came in tommorrow, once you reach 100 A/D and OA , then outside of the odd invasion, 1 instance per level range (which after a few times are boring) or PKing then there is nothing to do, the game would become very stale very quick

I think expansion of content would be good regardless of whether the caps get lowered. What did you have in mind?

I think expansion of content would be good regardless of whether the caps get lowered. What did you have in mind?

Idea's for content is the easy, just steal idea's from any other successful MMO out there like WoW. The hardest part and this is where I have sympathy for Radu is having the time and people to programme them

I'm curious what your definition of diversity is, or how you can say I don't want it. Being restricted to one skill at a time and having a level cap doesn't sound very diverse to me.

I guess there's actually 2 kinds of diversity: diversify among players and diversity within players. Diversify among players means some players being fighters, some being mages, some being mixers, etc. Diversity within players means one player can do many things, which I think is what you were talking about.

The lack of diversity that some people have complained about is that even though there are many ways players can shape their characters, most players of a specific type tend to shape their characters the same way. For example, I've read that most fighters tend to become battlemages.

Anyway, what I was really getting at was by limiting pp, people would have to think harder about where they want to put those pp, instead of just trying to max out all attributes.

Ok, what don't I get?

I guess there's actually 2 kinds of diversity: diversify among players and diversity within players. Diversify among players means some players being fighters, some being mages, some being mixers, etc. Diversity within players means one player can do many things, which I think is what you were talking about.

I think diversity within a player is much more important. It keeps a player with many options and in theory, never bored. A happy player with a lot of options is a long lasting player. I see no benefit to forcing players to choose one thing.

The lack of diversity that some people have complained about...<snip>
Who complained? Who are all these people you mentioned before? As I see it, it's the same very few being repetitive.

Ok, what don't I get?

People saying they don't want a level cap or don't want to be restricted doesn't mean they don't want other goals than just mindless leveling. Quests, item/skill level restrictions to make goals, new advanced items, and instances are just some examples of reasons to keep leveling. Much better than a full stop, then wander aimlessly being uber.

Add to that, some skills would be impossible to level without being able to do other skills just to pay for them (ranging, tailoring, a good part of lowest-level engineering). Harving is a necessity for all mix skills, yet it's a separate skill too.

You're officially challenged to create an alt and make it become a tailor or ranger, without using other skills. :wub:

Translation: The game's not designed for people to be solely one skill.

How about we cap the a/d to like 120s, and then we do new instances all day for new ubber items :wub:

Edited by Soul

Who complained? Who are all these people you mentioned before? As I see it, it's the same very few being repetitive.

It may be, but they're very persistent.

People saying they don't want a level cap or don't want to be restricted doesn't mean they don't want other goals than just mindless leveling. Quests, item/skill level restrictions to make goals, new advanced items, and instances are just some examples of reasons to keep leveling. Much better than a full stop, then wander aimlessly being uber.

So it's the perpetual quest to improve oneself, is it? An admirable goal. But there is a level cap now. What will players do once they can no longer improve?

Add to that, some skills would be impossible to level without being able to do other skills just to pay for them (ranging, tailoring, a good part of lowest-level engineering). Harving is a necessity for all mix skills, yet it's a separate skill too.

You're officially challenged to create an alt and make it become a tailor or ranger, without using other skills. :wub:

Just because someone does tailoring doesn't mean they can't do alchemy and vice versa. And I'd rather not make an alt. If you're curious, contact nathanstenzel about his alt, ticklemonster. It's a very unusual build.

So it's the perpetual quest to improve oneself, is it? An admirable goal. But there is a level cap now. What will players do once they can no longer improve?

Of 178. Highest known OA is around 165, which while sounds close is actually about 50% of the experience needed to get to OA 178.

Ask again in a few years.

You seem to be on a quest here to put some kind of "game over" level in here somewhere. It's over when you quit, and no sooner. It's eternal.

Would you people please quit thinking up new ways to screw gameplay for everyone but yourself? It's getting sad.

It may be, but they're very persistent.

There is more to playing EL then leveling, and there are multiple skills as well.

caps on a/d would be nice, but then theres nothing to do, the endless pking would get boring

id suggest making those caps along with like raiding in WoW, unique monsters with millions of hp, unique abilities that need months of practice to beat.

You seem to be on a quest here to put some kind of "game over" level in here somewhere. It's over when you quit, and no sooner. It's eternal.

I wouldn't expect people to quit once their levels get maxed out. Why would they?

Would you people please quit thinking up new ways to screw gameplay for everyone but yourself? It's getting sad.

How would this screw gameplay for everyone but myself?

There is more to playing EL then leveling, and there are multiple skills as well.

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make.

My first thought is that if this gets implemented EL wont be a "classless" game anymore wich i belive is one of the biggest reasons alot of ppl are addicted to it, i know it is for me.

The other thing is if you chose to be a fighter, you get A/D 100 OA 100 and spend all your PPs to P,C,V (or how ever the best build for one is) and human nexxies how would they go on from there?

Killing the same monsters over and over again might make some ppl bored and want to do something else but where do they get teh PPs they need to spend on the nexus they need to make potions harvest material manufacture or make essences, they have already spent the 100 PPs they are able to get to be a great fighter so how would they act now so they can be a potioner/manuer/...?

This lvl cap will not work with the nexus system we have now if we still should be able to do what ever we want when ever we want so imo bad idea

There are too many people above level 100 anyways.... Its pr0 idea for future servers, tho. The pk server does not have level 100 limit for a/d already?

The other thing is if you chose to be a fighter, you get A/D 100 OA 100 and spend all your PPs to P,C,V (or how ever the best build for one is) and human nexxies how would they go on from there?

If by "go on" you mean keep increasing their stats, they wouldn't. The level grinding would stop and players would then play for fun instead of for numbers.

If by "go on" you mean do something besides fighting, see my point at the bottom of this post.

Killing the same monsters over and over again might make some ppl bored and want to do something else

That doesn't seem to be a problem now, at least for some people. In fact, there are plenty of people that love killing the same monster over and over that they'll wait in line to do so.

but where do they get teh PPs they need to spend on the nexus they need to make potions harvest material manufacture or make essences, they have already spent the 100 PPs they are able to get to be a great fighter so how would they act now so they can be a potioner/manuer/...?

Presumably, if people want to mix, or summon, or whatever, they'll spend the pp in the appropriate places. By time players approach level 100, they will probably already know where the best places are for them to put their pp. Or they can buy pp with hydro, which high level players often do.