Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Map editor for Windows

Can someone try to compile the map editor for Windows?

There is a lot of GTK stuff for Linux in there, which I don't think it is even needed for windows. I tried to remove it, but it got really frustrating.

There are a few new features, such as the support for DDS files that Roja would really want.

Whoever ports it for windows gets 25 rostos ;)

So....here's the latest map editor cvs built for win32.

I didn't remove the gtk stuff as it's a bit more complicated than it seems. After a cursory glance it seems to rely on it for a bit more than it initially looked - and I just wanted to get the damn thing to build and run to be honest.

There may be issues with eye candy, in fact, there may be issues with lots of things as I don't generally use the map editor so I haven't tested very far - it runs, it opens maps, they look ok to me....

I've put an executable together with all the gtk dlls etc in a zip file - you can get it from the url below:

http://support.see3d.co.uk/private/el/map_editor_win32.zip

If you *really* want the gtk stuff removed I guess I can look at that. <shudder> (I'm a linux programmer really)

Edited by funroll

Thank you. Fedora and USL were faster, they provided a working version just a few hours earlier (just like yours, with GTK included).

However, I will give you a prize for your work too. And it is also good to know that we can rely on more people to compile it.

Can someone do us a really HUGE favor with the map editor?

When ground tiles are deleted the height map is also deleted-can this be made so that the height map is left alone-not deleted?

Will give a prize if you can do it and email me the compiled map editor :)

(post here if you want to do it)

Oh and if you want a couple more prizes there are 2 other bugs that i would love to have fixed! :D

- When you open a window in the editor(like the height map one for example), and you click on the top of it to move it around when you stop your mouse from moving the window does not stop moving-it will go float off screen.

-When you delete a ground tile I would like to be able to "paint" the null tile as is currently possible when you place any other tile on the ground. Basically you would click to delete a tile, and while holding done the mouse button you'd just drag over the screen and the tiles will delete wherever you touch the cursor.

When ground tiles are deleted the height map is also deleted-can this be made so that the height map is left alone-not deleted?

- When you open a window in the editor(like the height map one for example), and you click on the top of it to move it around when you stop your mouse from moving the window does not stop moving-it will go float off screen.

-When you delete a ground tile I would like to be able to "paint" the null tile as is currently possible when you place any other tile on the ground. Basically you would click to delete a tile, and while holding done the mouse button you'd just drag over the screen and the tiles will delete wherever you touch the cursor.

Here it is a compiled mapeditor together with the changed code (events.c)

It should work as intended, removing the tiles but not the height map.

Windows moving around when dragged now stop correctly. It was a bit of code commented out (so, maybe, something else is broken now :D).

I added paint-deleting, but to prevent disasters, since there is no support for multi tile undo, you have to keep Shift pressed while deleting (works both in tile and height mode). Paint-deleting in tile mode, should preserve height maps.

Let me know if something has gone wrong.

EDIT:

I have a strange flickering while in tile mode with a selected tile as cursor...this may be caused by running mapedit.exe under linux with Wine, so please check if you have it. I can't test it on a native Windows installation.

EDIT2:

If the link doesn't work, copy and paste it in the url bar

Edited by Fedora

wow you did it! This just makes my day :) Radu will give you your prizes when he gets online.

Yes the flickering is there for me too with the ground tiles.

Ok there is one more thing I'd like if possible: Remove that new eye candy icon-because it's not used at all/doesn't work, I don't want people to get confused. Plus if you click it and try to do something it kinda crashes the editor. So it's like a big "DON'T TOUCH!" button right now :D

Ok there is one more thing I'd like if possible: Remove that new eye candy icon-because it's not used at all/doesn't work, I don't want people to get confused. Plus if you click it and try to do something it kinda crashes the editor. So it's like a big "DON'T TOUCH!" button right now :D

That is no problem...but on the linux version it works. I'll see if I can fix it for windows too :)

I've updated CVS with fedora's changes.

This thread talks about making the windows build of the map editor easier by removing GTK elements, more specifically the phrase "porting it to windows" has been used. What has not been mentioned is whether keeping the ability to build on multiple platforms is a requirement. Is the intention that this future map editor would not be supported to build on Linux and Mac?

No that's not the intention at all. It should work on all OS's just like the client ideally.

Great, that is good news. Thanks. :)

I found another small bug with the editor. Now the maps are auto saved as .gz, however when you go to the Save As it only shows .elm files, but it should show the .gz

Edit: Another bug... When you want to put a new ground tile down it's using the /tiles/ folder. The tiles folder has been deleted now, so all that stuff is in /3dobjects/ and that's where it needs to get them from.

Fedora took care of the bugs, thank you Fedora :o

For everyone who wants to try:

- Windows Mapeditor

- cvs patch

- windows makefile (some things to change inside based on your library path)

Enjoy.

EDIT:

The editor now searches for tiles inside ./3dobjects/ as .dds files.

Edited by Fedora

Tried this hunny but I get an error message saying that the libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll file is not found. Might be possible for me to find it on the net but is there anyway you can include it in the zip file?

Tried this hunny but I get an error message saying that the libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll file is not found. Might be possible for me to find it on the net but is there anyway you can include it in the zip file?

oops, sorry, there's a bunch of dlls to download indeed...I'll post the link soon :)

EDIT:

here are the DLLs. Be warned, file is big (9Mb) and I suggest not to unpack it in your EL root dir, it will overwrite existing dlls with some that could be newer or older. Make a copy of your EL installation and use that for the mapediting.

Edited by Fedora

- cvs patch

I've committed the patch. BTW, the window makefile link is not correct and the file is not in CVS.

- cvs patch

I've committed the patch. BTW, the window makefile link is not correct and the file is not in CVS.

sowwy ;) link is now working