Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Regarding the Echo 'hax'

Had a chat with the person responsible, and here is their side of the story. Given the "you give your pass, you give up the rights for that char" rule, nothing I can do. The person who got the char doesn't want to give it back, and I can't just steal their char.

[PM from name edited: Offerd the char to name edited, He said sure. i paid for p2p/name change and thats the end]

[PM to name edited: ok, but describe the situation when you got the pass]

[PM to name edited: like how did the conversation go?]

[PM from name edited: It was really long ago i dont know, i had forgot all about the pass until i saw the file]

[PM to name edited: I mean...]

[PM to name edited: was she like: Yo name edited, here is my pass?]

[PM from name edited: No]

[PM to name edited: then? try to rmemeber]

[PM from name edited: Im trying]

[PM from name edited: looking threw my skype files but its not there]

[PM from name edited: Thinking it was "You could easily gues my pass if u tried" ]

[PM from name edited: something about her skype name]

[PM to name edited: ffs]

[PM from name edited: and some1 said "pass removed"]

[PM to name edited: that's not giving the pass]

[PM to name edited: oh]

[PM from name edited: She said yah]

[PM from name edited: Its her last name]

[PM to name edited: how many people were in that chat?]

[PM from name edited: so......]

[PM from name edited: Ah hell if i remeber man]

The person who got the char doesn't want to give it back, and I can't just steal their char.

Funny how eagerly he responded by demanding 300 USD to get the character back and threatening to raise that amount when it took too long for Dreyan to reply, right here: http://s1.zetaboards.com/Unofficial_EL_For...opic/2285300/1/

Seems the char didn't mean all that much to him after all.

Dreyan, what you did today for Echo is one of the nicest things I've seen anyone do in EL for a friend in a long time. Too bad that money has to go to some teenager that spends his EL days on IP, instead of to a place where that money is really needed.

I STRONGLY agree Dilly! THANK YOU very much Dreyan for that good deed! The greatest thing about EL is the friends and community and if we lose that we lose EL. I heard all this stuff and was on the verge of quitting el due to the fact that it is LEGAL to scamm and/or hack a players pass and get away with it. Well anyways its good we still have decent players in EL!!!!

I heard all this stuff and was on the verge of quitting el due to the fact that it is LEGAL to scamm and/or hack a players pass and get away with it.

It is not legal to hack a player's password, please read rule #18.

This password was not hacked.

Let me add here, that anybody who reads bans knows I have a zero tolerance policy for true character theft/hacking/keylogging/etc. However in this case Echo has 50% of the responsibility here of what happened. I hope this is a major lesson learned for her. Passwords are supposed to be sacred and private. Full stop.

I strongly agree with dilly too, stupid teenager, probably got kicked out of school a few weeks ago. :(
Is this sarcasm, or Suskie <> Suskie?

On topic, could not some discretionary intervention been applied in such a clear-cut cases as this? I know that rules are rules, and that there was careless behaviour involved, but I believe that the behaviour is (especially if you follow the link) no different than blackmail, and the bad guy has won. The letter killeth....

I would also like to commend Dreyan for the gesture of friendship shown. Well done. :P

Sounds to me like Dreyan really went beyond the call of duty on this one, nice one dude.

I only worry that this will serve as an encouragement for people to do this in the future.

Once you give your password out to anyone, even for the purpose of character sharing, you relinquish all rights to that character. Eternal Lands is not responsible for the return of your character or account, or for the actions of your character once you have disclosed your password.

Rules are rules.

Additionally - does this apply?

As of 9th of April 2006, if anyone contacts us about stolen characters, their IP will be permanently banned.

...in such a clear-cut cases as this?

This is such a dangerous thing to say especially when one is not involved and can't possibly know the details.

You know what they say about assuming...

You make an ass of you and me? or something like that, right?

(err maybe thats just Assume, You make and Ass of u and me)

Edited by Suskie

...in such a clear-cut cases as this?

This is such a dangerous thing to say especially when one is not involved and can't possibly know the details.

You know what they say about assuming...

Aisy, I hear what you are saying, but I never claimed to have any extra knowledge beyond Ent's post and the link in Dilly's post. However, I don't think there is a need for any assumption in this case, hence my use of those two words.Of course, everyone may have an alternative view on that.

@Suskie. I think we all know who the ass is.

Edited by EaglePrince

Once you give your password out to anyone, even for the purpose of character sharing, you relinquish all rights to that character. Eternal Lands is not responsible for the return of your character or account, or for the actions of your character once you have disclosed your password.

Rules are rules.

Yes Rules are Rules.. good point

Rule 18 : No Hacking

Do not attempt to interfere with or hack into any transmission to or from the servers. Do not attempt to hack into someone else's account or convince them to give you or others their passwords

So which rule does it fall under ?

Edited by conavar

I think its the rule about being drunk on skype?

You know, it's one thing to scam or take advantage of another player, but then to continually post in this thread and seemingly gloat over your skill at being such a high-caliber ass is another.

On the other hand, it's nice to know there are people like Dreyan who play EL.

Also, im not going to say or tell you who actually did it.
Even if you do, i think few people would believe it... you can just name an enemy, nobody can check anyways...

Thanks Dreyan :D Finding out my guildie got her stoled character back made my day. ;)

If I leave my keys(password) in my car and you take it you still are guilt of a crime. These characters have monetary value. If I give you a hint of the password, or even tell you the password, and you take my character seems like you would still be guilt of a crime. Would be interesting to see how that could play out. I have heard of one where the theif went to jail.

Hope the one the ones that did this or condone this get theirs soon. World has no need for people like this in it IMO. They can go "pleasure themselves" to put it polietly.

Okay, You guys, ive had it, I didnt actually scam the character, or anything like that, i was a middle-man, for lack of a better word, the mod's can verify this. I was willing to take the blame, but you know what? since im not being pursued by people with pitchforks and such, it isnt worth it.

So, Im not the mastermind behind this. Im not gloating over anything, Im just along for the ride. ;)

Or Did I Do I?

I guess only a few people will ever know :0

Nice melodrama, but no one has said anything you didn't say yourself in the thread on unoff. forums.

Indeed, i am quite an asshole, i rival smurf.

But whatever, moving on.

Even if you do, i think few people would believe it... you can just name an enemy, nobody can check anyways...

You could turn it into a detective game, start by asking Echo to dig her own logs and see who was in that convo. ;)

Altho, considering the involvement of Suskie, I'm sure you might have a few obvious suspects, see if they match the people in the convo? :)

These characters have monetary value.

You do keep surprising me... Personally if I thought this way I could probably be rich selling my game characters all over the place, perhaps I'm not rich because I rather find they have an emotional value...

Anyway, good case for Echo to have her char back and GG to Dreyan, always knew ya were a good guy back when I met you ages ago. :whistle:

-Gohan