Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kabat

;) Diablo

I used to play diablo II for some time, and now I wonder, would that be good, if in EL we do the same thing, I mean, when monster drop a weapon or an armor, or if a player create such an item it will have random stats. For example, some versions of s2e would be with additional damage, and some with less.

I mean, would it be good making monsters drop more random weapons and armors? If we make it cheaper, more people will go to pk, with no fear that they loose their hard earned cash. And for those, that manu things, items stats would be very good, becouse of costs of creating it, EFE, bars etc.

This sort of idea has come up before, and the problem is that items can not have individual stats. If you want two forms of an item (say with a random +1 or +2 attribute) then that requires two unique versions of that item in the database. That quickly explodes into a lot of extra complexity that (in the past) has been "not worth it".

Im sorry for digging it out lol, I just forgot that i wrote it. It's not worth becouse it will be more MBs for client? Hmm idk if its difficult to implement such a thing, but, talking about the MBs and client download speed, i think the internet connections are much more faster and downloading even a 300MB or 500MB client is just a few minutes now so that wouldn't be a problem imo..

Edited by Kabat

Im sorry for digging it out lol, I just forgot that i wrote it. It's not worth becouse it will be more MBs for client? Hmm idk if its difficult to implement such a thing, but, talking about the MBs and client download speed, i think the internet connections are much more faster and downloading even a 300MB or 500MB client is just a few minutes now so that wouldn't be a problem imo..

Thar problem is more server-sided. If the weapons stats were client-sided, what's to stop people from hacking weapons, creating ubber-nuke-sword...

The problem is little bit more complicated.

Currently your storage is represented by Item id and it's quantity, so if you withdraw a titanium longsword from storage, it means that the counter for that item is reduced by one.

This means that to store 10 pieces of same item, you need to store only one number. With unique id's per item, you would need to save the "ancestor or template id" of that item and all changed/added/removed properties ...

So it would be a major change to switch from unique id per item type to unique id per item piece.