Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PaulB

#remove command bug

kk so Pablo was going to visit another guild for a few hours so I tried to kick him from the guild while Pablo was offline. It would not allow me to #remove him saying...

Umm, removing someone from a different guild?

And it also would not allow me to change his rank while he was offline saying...

Umm, changing someone's rank from a different guild?

But I managed to figure out what caused this issue so I am posting here to make it known...

Pablo was not on his main Pablo but was on his alt Pablo7 and for some reason that would not allow me to make them changes.

When he logged off his alt Pablo7 I was then able to #remove Pablo from the guild while offline.

Kind of strange bug but was able to reproduce it with this method.

That sounds like the PM "issue"... when you send a PM to a partial name (Eg: "/Trin" instead of "/Trinitybot"), the name is expanded on the server side to match whoever online.

If there are multiple people online who match that initial part of the name (Eg: "Trinamous"), then the PM will fail. However, if the person you intended to PM is not online but the partial name is unique, then the PM will go to whoever's name matches that partial name.

I would guess that when you are trying to remove "Pablo", but he is offline, it is expanding that to the only match it can find "Pablo7" and then chucking an error about him not being in your guild. Once there is no match to anyone online, it must then search for an exact match.

This is of course my guess, and not official. Ent would have to answer that question.

Yeah, and it's not a bug, it's a feature :)

Can we improve this feature by letting us put a "." or "," at the end of a name to tell it not to auto-complete, please?

I don't think that should be too difficult to implement.

Yeah, and it's not a bug, it's a feature :)

Can we improve this feature by letting us put a "." or "," at the end of a name to tell it not to auto-complete, please?

Oh, yes, please a possibility to prevent the auto-completion...

I've heard players complain that they got bot messages when the bot owner was off-line due to this (and yes, this could be coded around).

I like auto-completion in itself, IF I could see the results before hitting the return. Now it is a bit of a gamble when sending a PM to a player with a short name (like one of our guild leaders)...

I've heard players complain that they got bot messages when the bot owner was off-line due to this (and yes, this could be coded around).

We now use a single periodic copy of the playersonline for all the bots we host to avoid this, but that's probably not practical/economical unless you're hosting a number of bots... (it also doesn't work real well on test, as there is no "online" page for test)

I agree something like this would be nice :P

Yeah, and it's not a bug, it's a feature :P

Sounds a great idea to me...

I have often caught myself typing "/jeff, would you mind stocking the bot with ore?" or something along those lines. It actually makes it proper English with a / at the beginning.

Revi, there is <CTRL+SPACE> for auto-completion where you can see the name. A number of people don't know that and I have heard some suggest that it is not possible on their keyboards. A mac perhaps. (shrugs)

I forget the specifics, but a couple of times, I believe I found it impossible to pm a person because auto-completion was blocking my attempts. This was a ways ago, so I don't remember the details. I think it was something like "too many people with that name" when I typed the name in exactly. I guess there were a number of people that had the name that started with those letters.

If * and ? are not allowed in names, perhaps we could use them as wildcards to help search for names and then have an extremely flexible means to complete or find out the name. I figure that could work with CTRL+SPACE as well. It would be like searching for files or for string in a database.

Edited by nathanstenzel

[...]

Revi, there is <CTRL+SPACE> for auto-completion where you can see the name. A number of people don't know that and I have heard some suggest that it is not possible on their keyboards. A mac perhaps. (shrugs)

[...]

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me...

I know that one, and it only works for names the client has 'seen', and is done client side while you are composing your message (you see the target after completion and before sending your message...).

The auto-completion this thread is about is the one done server side (i.e. after hitting <return> to complete the command). THAT auto-completion is invisible to and uncontrollable by the sender, and that's the one most ppl here would like to see modified a bit.

Your remark about the error 'too many people with that name' shows the problem quite clearly :),

and the most common problem case is where it causes the message to go to the wrong person w/o any indication to the sender.

[...]

[...]

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me...

I know that one, and it only works for names the client has 'seen', and is done client side while you are composing your message (you see the target after completion and before sending your message...).

The auto-completion this thread is about is the one done server side (i.e. after hitting <return> to complete the command). THAT auto-completion is invisible to and uncontrollable by the sender, and that's the one most ppl here would like to see modified a bit.

Your remark about the error 'too many people with that name' shows the problem quite clearly :),

and the most common problem case is where it causes the message to go to the wrong person w/o any indication to the sender.

Well, I did not know if you knew of that one and it Sometimes helps, so I mentioned it.