Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dugur

Some ideas for magic

There's been talk of smite/heal summoned spell changes and I want to offer some other ideas too. Mostly I'm interested in seeing new spells and having magic more supportive in combat. Ofc what isn't broken can't be fixed, so I'm hoping the newer spells are considered and maybe in next 12 months we have something new to play with.

Shield:

Atm often used in PK, sometimes in a/d training and lots in magic leveling. Just +3 armour.

If possible, make dependant on magic and rationality + your armour in use. Using leathers spell gives up to +10 (notice cast by a proper mage), with metal armours less and dragon armours practically nothing (+1). Could be done by checking the armour total you have and spell gives bonus based on the #arm, more armour the less bonus from spell.

Why? Metals disrupt the magic making it weaker, as do magical dragon scales. Bonus here being the cost in PK, high lvl armour still has advantage but you can get some protection with leather too.

The armour bonus based mostly on magic lvl, rationality having a minor effect. Make the spell duration dependant on mag and ratio both.

Harm:

Keep as is on player vs monster, nerf a bit on player vs player (different spell for player target? We want fireball :hehe:)

Also, possibly, add armour modifier - the weaker armour the target uses, the less dmg harm deals. Against metal armours the damage gets considerable bonus, dragon armours no difference, and against leathers much less dmg. Make also casters clothing weaken the spell cast.

(Though subjectively, I'm not complaining the current max hits of 200+)

Bones to Gold:

Atm top players can convert about 1:1, only useful on spawn with lots of bones but hardly worth the effort. Make spell dependant on alchemy and magic together. Add chance of losing the bones on casting and high rationality have bonus on success.

Life Drain:

Since we are dealing with life, and summoning is the key to meddle with it, add bonus to the spell from summoning. +1 point / 10 summon levels for example.

Invisibility:

Remove the spell and make potion 100% success. If this is no way ffs!, then make the duration dependant on magic and rationality.

Remove buffs:

Spell to remove opponents shield/heat/cold/magic/radiation protection/TS and accuracy/evasion. Success rate based on mag and ratio (maybe potion too, but getting too complicated and not making too much sense)

Add buffs:

Make protective spells castable on others. For example all of the protection spells would be cast like remote heal - you can cast on self or on friend next to you. Shield would have different shield other spell making it worth to have your teams mage cast the shields and spend mana. Now the mage would need to think who to buff and how much mana to save, not just wait for MI to drop. Durations skill+attribute based.

(Notice, works with summons too. Give them TS and those smites aren't so easy to do)

Camouflage:

Spell to reduce light modifier based on ranging+magic and rationality.

Spirit link:

2 peeps are fighting, you cast the spell on other one and take the damage he would be dealt. If you move, the link is gone. If they move, the link is gone. Also some % of the damage reduced from casters mana to prevent a mage with 450 restore making too big a difference.

The FireBall:

Couldn't resist adding to the list. You know how it goes, a ball of fire with or without area damage when hit. Inaccurate but ranging helps to hit.

Metals disrupt the magic making it weaker, as do magical dragon scales.

Harm:

Also, possibly, add armour modifier - the weaker armour the target uses, the less dmg harm deals. Against metal armours the damage gets considerable bonus, dragon armours no difference, and against leathers much less dmg.

By your own statement shouldnt that be reversed ? and metal armour/dragon armour give greater protection against harm spells ?

Edited by conavar

Yeeees,

then again we can play with the thought that keeping up positive spell is hard having negging metal around you, and hurting spells can be used to heat metal on target etc etc. Also Dragon being magical can have some of the magic of the dragon in it wanting to hurt the one taking it to it's unnatural inhabitat and enhancing damaging spells to cause harm to the person. Whatever epic RP BS we want to make up. Logic isn't flawless, but there are several unlogical things in game already :hehe:

Whatever gets the job done.

Yeeees,

then again we can play with the thought that keeping up positive spell is hard having negging metal around you, and hurting spells can be used to heat metal on target etc etc. Also Dragon being magical can have some of the magic of the dragon in it wanting to hurt the one taking it to it's unnatural inhabitat and enhancing damaging spells to cause harm to the person. Whatever epic RP BS we want to make up. Logic isn't flawless, but there are several unlogical things in game already :hehe:

For some reason, I see that being a bit overpowered. Titanium is already 'entry' level PK gear, I would not like to see it shifted up to Dragon armours. It seems to make melee fighters too vulnerable to harms. Which isn't really a bad thing I guess, but what if you're a fledgling mage trying to get your Harm up? Surely it would be considerably easier to match the uber mages who can harm +150? Without putting in as much of the time as the pros.

Also, if wearing less armour is going to give a greater protection, would it also be wise to apply a higher spell failure chance to attacking mages who wear armour?

Edited by Aphistolas

Yes really well thought out,

None of the idea means more or less damage, that is to be decided when/if something is implemented. It just adds more tactics.

What I like most is to have magic damage/healing dependent on armor bonuses. To not hurt training in steel sets (...) perhaps the amount of healing remains the same, but the cooldown for a spell is radically changed, and dependent on armor/levels. Then perhaps someone running around in full steel+col can no longer keep up with the damage in PK without the use of healing potions :whistle:

And a fireball spell (or explosive arrow/bolt for that matter..) is epic of course :whistle:

Yeeees,

then again we can play with the thought that keeping up positive spell is hard having negging metal around you, and hurting spells can be used to heat metal on target etc etc. Also Dragon being magical can have some of the magic of the dragon in it wanting to hurt the one taking it to it's unnatural inhabitat and enhancing damaging spells to cause harm to the person. Whatever epic RP BS we want to make up. Logic isn't flawless, but there are several unlogical things in game already :whistle:

For some reason, I see that being a bit overpowered. Titanium is already 'entry' level PK gear, I would not like to see it shifted up to Dragon armours. It seems to make melee fighters too vulnerable to harms. Which isn't really a bad thing I guess, but what if you're a fledgling mage trying to get your Harm up? Surely it would be considerably easier to match the uber mages who can harm +150? Without putting in as much of the time as the pros.

Also, if wearing less armour is going to give a greater protection, would it also be wise to apply a higher spell failure chance to attacking mages who wear armour?

I don't see the overpowered part....

you could have the dragon armour wearers take the harm damage as they do now(full),and just give some harm (or all magic?) protection to lower armours,

or did I get anything wrong?

Great ideas, I like the idea of decreasing rationality's effect so that mag lvl is more important. That'd actually require mages to train magic instead of just maxing rat and harming for 100 with 30 magic whereas 70 mag level chars with low rationality harm for 10-20. Also casters should have effect on spells(maybe some robes with magic bonuses too?)

Great ideas, I like the idea of decreasing rationality's effect so that mag lvl is more important. That'd actually require mages to train magic instead of just maxing rat and harming for 100 with 30 magic whereas 70 mag level chars with low rationality harm for 10-20. Also casters should have effect on spells(maybe some robes with magic bonuses too?)

sounds cool too.with that way mages will have to use robes and ppl will do more tailoring.and it would be good to see different clothes in kf :)

48 rationality and 30 magic level does not equal 100 + harm even with will/reson/magic pots

And to those that think that you can start a ,mage alt and harm 120 in a few months, your wrong. Unless you buy gc's and have a few clues about this game. It really isnt that easy

I especially like the idea that you can help your friends and cast shield on them.