Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
elpargo

Everything will be destroyed eventually(sug. to fix economy)

At this time, items cannot have any kind of unique statistics like amount of damage received.

Is this something extremely hard to do? Because if it would take a week or 2 to implement, it seems to be worth it to me.

its not so mutch the effort needed to add it as the amount of extra data the server have to track, every weapon, armor and other item that may take damage will need to tracked by the server as a unique object, mutch like a character...

I love it Now there like 10 post with my idea :)

-----------------------------

So durability is gone (i still have 1 concern about it posted below)

and sorry for "letthing this go away" i have been busy with RL.

So we have

1- Make a chance that something is lost FOREVER went you die. This will help because people will care more if they die. I suggest a 5% change on every item.

2- Add to the attack/defense code a "chance to break". best way i could think of is: each creature has a chance agains each weapon. Yes i know this will bring in lots of numbers but if u make it a fix rate of each sword then you have serp breaking to rabbits :roll: and you do not encourage people to use better swords. IMO even your attack/defense should count so if u attack with an iron sword and your very strong you will probably break it.

3- "Item in storage" i got a big concern about this. Im sure that if any of this things get implemented my guild will organice a massive manufacture campain and we'll make like 100 items of everything so we end up like now :P SO items must decay somehow whats the point of making them breakable if u have 5 spare ones?

a- either make items break A LOT and that is like 10% change to break of a serp sword on a cyclops and anything below iron will always break. or

b- have a durability or decay based on a lvls system, since having a number will create massive amounts of data. How about this. Each and every sword/armor/etc. will have a chance to drop a lvl (think of it as the destroy but in stages) So a brand new item instead of being destroyed will drop 1 lvl, and so on, went it reach the lowest lvl then it break. Think of it as "it can break 5 times", all the other break code (in suggestion 2) will stay the same. Then items in storage will drop a lvl based on ?time? stored? ummm i just though of that crap. this will again make the need of tracking each and every item. Please post your suggestions on this mather

well that would mean to duplicate the entire list of armors and weapons 5 times but it could be done in theory. every time a item is used it have a chance to drop in level and thereby change into a item with a lower quality, if the lowest quality is broken then its gone. maybe lower items have a higher chance to drop in quality then higher ones...

this could allso make things more interesting when makeing a item as you can have a chance to make a better item that goes up as you get up in level. so a newbie maybe only makeing cheap and allmost useless gloves while a master may be makeing super gloves and low quality serpents.

then there is the factor of droping. monster maybe only droping the lower qualitys of items...

hmm, i wonder how entropy will react to this combined with the magical addon he was looking to make given some post in the programing section. the number of combos can be staggering 8)

i like the theory and as long as we make it text only roja will not need to make new images. you will have to inspect a items sold to you before you hand over your cash tho if this goes in...

hmm, i wonder what a high quality serpent sword of unbreaking would get on the open market...

Another way to possibly remove some items from the game is have monsters that destroy items. Some games have monsters that turn iron/steel items to rust or that have acid attacks that can destroy metal items.

You don't need to track every individual item to accomplish this. Just make, for example, 10 versions of every item. Each version uses the same image in the client but each version also has an "age" or "damage" value attached.

For example: A new item will be version 1. Every time you use it, there's a chance it gets damaged and becomes version 2. Version 2 becomes version 3, etc. Each time the version changes, consider the item as getting older. Once you're at, say, version 10 the next step is bye-bye item.

Later in the game you could have difference graphics for each version of item, showing more wear and tear, to give the user an idea of that age of their item.

Or change the name slightly: Iron Sword, Dented Iron Sword, Bent Iron Sword, Damaged Iron Sword.

People could still buy and sell the damaged items, knowing the state of the item.

You could even base the chance of changing from one version to another on the type of use the item is for. For example, when fighting, a wooden staff has a 30% chance of moving to the next version when the opponent has an iron sword. But if both are using wooden staffs, the chance drops to 10%. That'd add some interesting considerations to fights.

And one more possibility: Enchanted weapons. Magic weapons that give an advantage to when fighting monsters, but if used against a human (or whatever) the chance of breaking is 100%. Like a sword made by dwarves that gives +10 damage bonus against goblins but can't be used against dwarves.

Actually, I think that acid monster attack idea by Puntif is a pretty good idea. Right now, you don't have much to lose if you attack a monster (especially if you've got a friend with monster mag to pick up your stuff). But adding monsters that actually damage or destroy weaponry/armor has two benefits I can see:

1) Gives fighters a whole lot more challenge and the element of risk. Magic or summoning also suddenly becomes a very attractive alternative (once the new magic system is up, of course. The current one isn't worth it).

2) You can also make rare drops from these monsters. Adjust it so that there is a higher chance of you losing items than gaining them when you fight, and you can practically guarantee a steady supply of items being drained.

For example, say you create a monster called "Acid Blob" which has a 20% chance of destroying your weapon/armor (scaled according to type of weapon) and it is the ONLY monster that drops serp stones. Fighters would HAVE to fight it to be able to get high-level weapons and armor. And yet, they'll spend a whole lot more money doing so.

And fred, your idea has merit too. Combined with duran's and elpargo's ideas, it adds a lot of flexibility to the game. (And finally allows players to dump recycled weapons on newbie beggers).

entropy have stated to me that there will come weapon breaking, in what form and at what time i dont have a clue about.

as for that level of quality, i think it may show up some time in the future when there are not so many new features to add. entropy is allready working on adding magic qualitys to weapons by creating paralell groups of weapons, one group have maybe ice damage while a diffrent one have fire damage. adding basic weapon quality on top of this tho will create a lot of weapon groups. the server dont get that mutch more dynamic info to track as weapons are still static objects (no changeing values like durability and so on) but it will take a whole lot of logistical work to get it done as the weapon files will have to be copyed and edited to create a new weapon in the new quality group...

here is how it will look logisticaly if we have magical effects and quality levels:

lowest level:

normal

ice

fire

next level up:

normal

ice

fire

so if you have 5 levels of quality and then 10 diffrent magical effects then your looking at 50 diffrent combos. then multiply that with the number of weapons we have available now and it becomes a whole lot of work...

It took me a while to read the whole thread, and i'm not sure i cought all of it but here goes.

Spontaiously destroying items can result in the player not having a weapon to fight the monster with or even get to a safer place, pretty much dooming them to a nice trip to hell.

Degrading the item due to use seems a very good idea, as long as the items could be sold to an npc, since noone would want to keep the dammaged goods.

Permanitly removing items at death seems like a good plan also but that would just compound the player's fear of more difficult monsters as all of the present suggestions would kill the stuff in the bag, decreasing the chances of recovering lost items. To solve this I propose that the percentage of items dropped in the bag at death be decreased, as well as where the items come from be changed. I haven't died too much but takeing the items that are manufactured and sold over the items that are just harvested would decrease the total manufactured goods.

about ur 1st input you are right the fact of losing your tit chain in the middle of a fight may get you killed... but that is the point fighting has become borring and timed. right now the only time I die is went i fail the restoration spell and i dont have time to reach to the body rest potion i get.

as of degrade that will be the best idea but as some people noted. this will increase the data transfer from server to client a LOT right now the software does something like this: the're 4 iron swords carried by him,her.him and that guy. and the client just takes the picture and puts it in their hand. with the new system they must "talk" about each and every item. so imagine 10 people together all with 8 items in use (from which 6 of them will degrade) you got 60 items to create.

the idea of making lvls of damage will reduce this a little and may help on your 1st input because you could have a spare went the item is "highly damaged" or something but the above problem still persist. and since you can have a spare it will not help into making fighting less boring.

about the last part the change of droping something went u die is 50% at the moment. the actual destruction time hasnt been discuss but it should be 10% or less IMO.

so each item has a 10% chance of being destroyed and 50% of ending in the bag.

so each item has a 10% chance of being destroyed and 50% of ending in the bag

This was the problem i was attempting to address. With these probability ratios there is only a 5% chance that the destroyed items are in your dropped bag, meaning you actually lose 55% of your inventory.

well i think this is because you are new but almost 90% of the times you die there is a friend or good person nearby to pick up your bag and give it to you.